Print Thread
#6911 17/01/03 01:35 AM
H
Help747 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
H
How about an option that locks mirc with a password when mirc first starts?

#6912 17/01/03 04:17 AM
W
Wil Offline
W
Here comes the definitive answer.... script it.

#6913 17/01/03 08:01 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Perhaps you're looking for the Lock feature? Options (Alt + O) > General > Lock.

Hope that helps. smile

#6914 17/01/03 08:45 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Scripting a password is not exactly secure unless it's a toddler you are protecting mIRC from and then you'd be better off with a passworded screensaver.

I downloaded this script called "Teens Script", just out of curiosity, the other day and the rip protection made me laugh. To get past it I simply took out the supplied mirc.exe which had it's balls hexed off and replaced it with a legal copy. Rip protection gone and script editor buttons now alive and well. People can do the same thing to script files to make the mirc.exe operational. Just delete them or unload them and the password protection goes with it.

#6915 17/01/03 01:43 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Would ther ebe a way of viewing a key in the registry?

(Obviously there is a way, because that's where mIRC stores the mIRC password)

but I mean a way that a scripter can use something like $registry(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\mIRC\LockOptions\SecureKey) to get access to the $hash()'d key (Just like mIRC does) and then have scripts that block things happening...

I know it is *easy* to get around it, like removing a script file etc, but just for those who actually want it!

(I'm not one of them...Home PC - mine, Work PC - No one ever uses it apart from me, and I can't even connect to an IRC server anyway (unfortunately!))

Maybe a way ($identifier? - unless it's easy to script one...) to get registry keys *may* be handy...?

btw, I don't need/want any of these, just giving my oppinion grin

Aubs.
cool

#6916 17/01/03 02:36 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I take your point but I still believe that simply using a screensaver with a password is a more useful option, that way your whole machine is protected, not just mIRC itself. In reality it's about the only useful thing a screensaver does because leaving monitors on 24/7 will stuff them anyway. If the phosphur inside the picture tube isn't burnt by a stationery image then the electron guns will cark it when you least expect. :tongue:

Anyway, if such a password function was added, I'm not necessarily against the idea. By suggesting the use of a screensaver I'm just mentioning that there's already ways of doing what the original poster seems to want.

#6917 17/01/03 03:42 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Yeah, I do agree about the screensaver password.

If you want to let someone use your computer, and you have mIRC running... It can be locked in and can only be opend again with the use of the password...From the mIRC help file

Quote:
Note: If you hold down the Control key when you minimize mIRC, it will ask you for the password when you try to open the mIRC window later. If you use Control+Minimize with no password set, mIRC will ask you for a temporary password.

so, minimise mIRC while pressing the "Ctrl" key will require a password to re-use it...

it's not exactly what he wanted, but not too far from it!

[Edit]

Don't know if it would be useful to anyone, or if there is an $CustomIdentifier to allow reading items from the system registry...Could be if people want to store "Specific" items in the registry...

Second thinking, editing the registry *Should* be done by someone technically minded and any script kiddies could use it to destroy people's computers...hence, I don't think it would be a good ides, unless there were safeguards to stop this kind or *abuse*...

Just my thoughts, apologies that it's in this thread, I know it shouldn't be but as a continuation of my earlier post.

[/Edit]

Last edited by Aubs; 17/01/03 03:51 PM.

Aubs.
cool

#6918 17/01/03 09:33 PM
H
Help747 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Ahhh, yes.. this is what I was looking for. I thought the Lock feature was something else...
The word "temporary" caught my eyes and solved the problem.
Thanks

#6919 20/01/03 02:12 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Pleasure wink

Aubs.
cool

#6920 29/01/03 04:19 PM
A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
Well there are many ways for script kiddies to modify the registry. Simply supply the registry.dll with the provided script, and viola.

However, I think built-in mIRCscript, if it ever had native registry support, should be ONLY limited to a specific key in the registry.

Something like, HKCU\Software\mIRC\

You can modify, delete, read, and change values in ONLY that location. Maybe having the key in HKLM would be better for some people, though.

This would prevent users from seriously damaging their registry.

I also think it would make mIRC a 'true' windows 32 native, as opposed to its continuing usage of ini files.

But hey there are strengths and weaknesses to both methods, and quite frankly mIRC itself works fine using ini files so one might as well not complain.

Link Copied to Clipboard