mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#6867 16/01/03 04:51 PM
T
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
T
For the past couple of weeks I have been reading up on and making the occasional comment about DALnet. Well today I just thought of something. Maybe it will help and maybe it won't. Anyways for DALnets situation it is currently under attack. Maybe it would help by not allowing 4 to 5 clones per user...also not letting people have bots on their channels..on any network. Make people use something like ChanServ or ChanOP or something...maybe this would help bring the attacks down to a minimum...although im not saying that they won't happen again im saying maybe it won't have that big of an impact on the chatters or the networks? Maybe this would work and maybe not ....but i would at least give this idea a shot, but maybe its just me...

#6868 16/01/03 05:03 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The cloning issue is not relevant here because when a botnet nails a server they most often are one client per host, same as most chatters.

Read here where I describe how the botnets most often work.

About channel holders in place of bots. That's possible if that feature is coded into Services however ChanServ, to my knowledge, won't ever kick for things that mIRC bots and eggdrops can, such as foul language or flooding. Perhaps this could be coded into ChanServ (I'm not suggesting it should, I just speak of the physical possibilities) too but that would ruin things for those that like to make their own custom-built bots and run them. Bots are, at times, a hobby in themselves and any network suddenly refusing to allow the friendly bots would probably be the next target for the hostile ones. Even networks that specifically forbid bots usually turn a blind eye if the bot in question does not cause grief.

Link Copied to Clipboard