Print Thread
#68621 20/01/04 05:52 PM
O
Optika Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
O
I am using mIRC 6.12 and think I have come across a DCC write bug. It's very hard to give details of how to reproduce this error accurately.

The problem appears to be intermittant and seems to happen when downloading a lot of files through IRC. Out of a variety of files, no matter how many times they are downloaded, they always appear to be corrupted (Don't CRC check).

I have tested the theory that mIRC is causing the problem, as I have had the same files emailed to me and they CRC check fine with no problem.

I have tried redownloading the files multiple times, from multiple clients and the same problem occurs.

Any suggestions or fixes?

Regards

Optika

#68622 20/01/04 10:22 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
mIRC isn't there for mass file sharing, it's a chat program with the ability to send files. it was never made for mass sends

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
#68623 20/01/04 10:25 PM
E
EVH Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
E
Still a bug worthy of report.

Last edited by EVH; 20/01/04 10:27 PM.
#68624 21/01/04 01:28 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I have by several people heard of a bug that if u resume a file over and over it well get corrupted, I personally have never seen it, and deliberately even tried to cause it, resumeing and cancling a file 100's of times, from 4 different people.

I couldnt make a single byte of the file bad, I was however resuming from MIRC clients only, and i sometimes wonder if the info on DCC RESUME has been missunderstood by some client other than mirc, even mircs help initially IMO misslabels it (but then 4 lines later states it exact meaning).
ie: PRIVMSG User1 : DCC RESUME filename port position

Position stands for not the position in the file it wants a resume from, but the length of the file it currently has (as in has up to this POSITION)

a non mirc client may beleive this is where to send from, giving you a file one byte out from where its ment to be.

I would suggest you take one of these files you have that is wrong, and in dos type
FC/B GOODCOPY.EXT BADCOPY.EXT

This well list you all differences in the file and there location (zero based), does the file have a block of data bad?, or does the data desync in the file (one byte appears to have moved up or down a byte).

I cant do this as i cant reproduce the error.

#68625 21/01/04 10:39 PM
O
Optika Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
O
It's not a resume problem as far as I can tell. As mentioned although mIRC isn't designed for mass file sharing (although it works 90% of the time) there a few files that are always bad - even if these are deleted and redownloaded.

#68626 21/01/04 11:07 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
i cant beleive one file well be handled any different from another file, so ill say again you should invest some time in checking what or where in these files it becomes errored.

Just saying it came out bad, doesnt a make it so, this as easy as pie could be your system causing it, I once found a problem I thought was in network traffic from one machine to another, turned out it was in a scsi driver software, while i was writting the data to the disk.

#68627 22/01/04 09:51 PM
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
I have some experience with mirc filesharing and every time a user has had file corruption issues it has been a hardware problem. The problem can be either on the sending or recieving PC, or on a [home] router (some cheap NAT-boxes have been known to overheat and cause data corruption). Checking your RAM with memtest86 is good start, bad RAM is a pretty common cause in cases like this.

#68628 24/01/04 09:20 PM
R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
Dognach, if you don't have anything more constructive than that to contibute, why don't you just keep your mouth shut!

Life is short; don't sweat the small stuff!
#68629 24/01/04 11:27 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Rob, anyone has the right to post as long as its done with courtesy and common sense and doesnt violate any policies. There's nothing to be gained by telling someone to shut their mouth, all that does is create hard feelings and flame wars.

Considering that english is not everyone's first language and we are only seeing words, intent and the logic behind a post are all too easy to misunderstand.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard