mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#68054 15/01/04 08:53 PM
R
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
R
I am trying to get a static username (or it might be the hostmask???). Currently it appears that my username changes every time I connect to a mirc network. For example, it might appear as "Ttgrpd" etc... just random numbers/letters. I have registered with mirc, and have my UserID filled in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rusty

#68055 15/01/04 09:06 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
[email]username@host.domain[/email]

most likely itz host mask, some networks for security mask your host with numbers and/or letters for protection...

like user@12jg3123.domain.net

is that what bugs you or something else?

#68056 15/01/04 09:41 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If you're referring the "UserID" you filled in at ALT+O > Connect > IdentD then that is the 'username' part of the [email]username@hostname.[/email]

If this is changing often, especially with random letters, then it is most probably a virus - many of them have this characteristic in them. You might like to read this thread. You can also read this page.

Finally, you can use the Search feature to search for other threads which have covered this topic. You may also search for "virus" or "trojan" and see what comes up there. For best results, expand to 'All Forums' and the date range to 'All Posts'.

If you use /whois your-nickname you can see your [email]username@hostname[/email] on the first line.

If you do infact mean the hostname like bunar suggested, then you may be able to unmask it so it doesn't show random letters, usually by unsetting some sort of usermode - ask in the #Help channel of the network.

G'luck!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#68057 17/01/04 08:47 AM
K
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
I had the same problem and after reading this thread i got myself a trojan remover and it was a f****n trojan who was doing this. Trojan called sdbot.dr. Thanks alot for your help Mentality i really appreciate it cause it was a real pain in the ass to join servers with it.

#68058 17/01/04 03:25 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
You're very welcome, and I'm glad you got your problem sorted smile

It's nice to see that people have benefited from the information you've shared!

Happy chattng smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard