Print Thread
#67459 11/01/04 06:01 PM
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I was scanning my computer with trendmicro today it didnt find any viruses.. but then i saw Panda free online virus scanner so i tested it.. and it found 3 viruses that trendmicro didnt find on my computer.. just wanted to share this with you all so you dont think youre not infected, then you still are.. smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It's always suggested that more then one virus scanner be used, for the very reason you pointed out. If I suggest scanners I recommend a range of them, usually AVG/Trendmicro/SwatIT/TheCleaner. Personally, I have Norton AntiVirus and AVG both running in the background, but never have them both scanning. This is because I scanned with NAV and it found nothing, then I scanned with AVG and I had some sort of trojan (this was quite awhile ago, since then I've remained virus-free!)

Thanks for that other resource smile *tries to remember it for the future!*

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Thanks for the info, altho i'm not familar with Panda so i couldnt personally advise about it. Its always suggested that ppl use more than one virus scanner since nothing should be expected to find everything. There are good resource lists at http://zine.dal.net/previousissues/issue19/resources.php and http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/virus.html I tend to just mention trendmicro as one to try rather than listing several as Mentality does. Perhaps i should do a sticky specifically saying virus/trojan scanners to refer ppl to listing various free things/sites that could be safely recommended?

[thanks Mentality]

Last edited by ParaBrat; 12/01/04 12:46 AM.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I used norton and avg.. but still i was infected.. so i tryed panda, it found som trojans that nothing else i have been trying found, i even got a infected moo.dll befor, now i DL'd a new one that arent infected.. and i think that panda should get som "credits" from me wink if it havent been for that online scanner i still had been infected.. so thats why i made this post, if they have gone farther or what it is then trendmicro, then people should know about it.. cos i guess half of all people using a script have moo.dll in there scripts.. and they should try scan there computers again with panda, it helped me get rid of som junk, and maybe it helps them too.. trendmicro is good, it found many viruses for me that norton missed, but it didnt find them all.. smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
remember that it's not which antiviruses have "gone further" that makes them find viruses, it's normally the detection rules.
e.g: some av's look for virus filenames, some look for harmful code in each file, some monitor certain parts of your system until it is changed, then see what changed it and if it's bad..
there are probably many other ways.

i would recommend the following things that haven't been mentioned:

adware: ad-aware
spyware: spybot s&d

each of these scan mainly for adware/spyware, but spybot s&d has also found a few worms occasionally.

they are not online, but they are free smile.

New username: hixxy
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
mmm, i must thanx to pheonix !
coz of this post i dl-ed that spybot and found many craps...

i thank you !

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
np smile

even though it repeats it many times in the program, i will say it here too..
if you remove a spyware component using spybot s&d certain programs may not work, e.g: remove SahAgent.exe will stop kazaa working, if you have it.

New username: hixxy

Link Copied to Clipboard