mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#67402 11/01/04 09:51 AM
jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Well, it would seem that there's some sort of crash exploit for mIRC 6.12, but I don't know what it is as I woke up to a crash dialog. frown Mightn't it be a nice idea if mIRC had the option to save a constantly updated crash.log which consisted of the last 10kb of raw data mIRC received/sent? That way we might be able to better analyse what caused mIRC to crash.

== Jez ==
"Each victory is a missed opportunity to die..."
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You could use debug.log, created with /debug.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Nice idea, but
- does /debug log *all* stuff sent to you, even DCCs, or just stuff from the server? Direct connections can cause crashes too.
- is there a way to limit the size of a debug.log created with /debug?

== Jez ==
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
DCC requests use the server, so it'd log only requests (provided that you're not using the DCC server for them). That said, DCC chats for ex. won't be on debug.log obviously.

You could limit debug.log using a timer: //timer 0 120 if ($file(debug.log) > limit) .remove debug.log would check debug.log's size every 2mins and remove it if it passes the limit you specify.

jez Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Yep, well I left my mIRC open overnight and once again it had crashed when I looked at it this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if this is

- another major mIRC exploit or
- mIRC coded badly so it crashes itself.

I checked the debug.log and nothing suspicious at all seems to be in it. I'm forced to assume that mIRC didn't log the packets that caused it to crash, if any did. I'll use a packet sniffer with it tonight and the next time it crashes i'll have a complete packet log.

== Jez ==
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I'd suggest using the search tool above for topics on this matter (don't forget to expand the date range and select "all forums"), I've seen people complaining about random crashes as well.

Link Copied to Clipboard