Print Thread
#67350 10/01/04 06:46 PM
E
ERMAC Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
I am using a Speedstream 2602 router. When using this router, I get no ip mismatch. When using this router, Mirc gets my external ip for me. When connecting direct through the cable modem I get no problems with accessing fservs (whether they are firewalled or not). When connecting using the router, I can connect with non-firewalled fservs. Firewalled fservs, however, usually give me this message:

" This server is using an alternate server method, please make sure your DCC Server is active and set to port 59. /dccserver +sc on 59. This is a mIRC command."

I type the command which, of course, turns on DCC server and retype the trigger for this particular fserv. The same above message repeats. Mind you I get the same message when triggering firewalled fservs while connecting direct through the cable modem (no router involved). However, after typing the "/dccserver +sc on 59" command and retyping the fserv trigger, I get in. The alternative server method doesn't pop back up (when using my cable modem directly).

So, obviously, I have to do something with my router. I do not have any firewalls installed. Now, when accessing the config utility for my router I do not see anything about FORWARDING ports. However, I do see section entitled "Special Applications." Here, I can open up public ports for applications that use multiple ports (I assume Mirc qualifies?). Is this the idea behind FORWARDING ports? If so, then let me continue. Now this is where it gets frustrating. I have five pieces of information I must input: TRIGGER Port, Trigger type (TCP/UDP), Public Port, Public type (TCP/UDP), and a check box if you wish to enable. Now, I'm a complete newbie about this. I understand Mirc uses port 113 for identd and a range of ports for DCC. So, going back to the manual for my router, the steps for this section are:
1. In the TRIGGER Port box, SPECIFY the port normally associated with the application. (So, what "port" is normally associated with Mirc? Or is this any two consecutive ports between 1024-5000?)
2. Select TCP or UDP as the protocol type. (That's all it says. I'm assuming TCP/UDP for both the trigger port and the public port(s).
3. In the PUBLIC Port box, enter the public ports ASSOCIATED with the trigger port to OPEN THEM FOR INBOUND TRAFFIC. (Does this refer to Mirc's default DCC port range of 1024-5000?)
You see, what confuses me is my router can specify a range of ports to open (say 1024-5000 in the PUBLIC ports field) but I MUST HAVE a trigger port for that to happen, correct?
As for identd port 113 could I input "113" in the TRIGGER port field, select UDP (correct?), "113" in the PUBLIC ports field, select UDP (correct?), and then enable it?

#67351 12/01/04 02:58 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Hi!

I've got a SpeedStream 5660 series so I think it's quite similar.
Some doc shows me you have to Enable Virtual Server and then everything will be forwarded.

SpeedStream 2602 redirects the external service
request to the appropriate server located at another internal IP address.

I'll assume your router is 192.168.0.1 and your computer 192.168.0.2

You have to: Specify the Private IP 192.168.0.2 with private and public port 113 with type TCP (identd not UDP)

Same with port 59:
You have to: Specify the Private IP 192.168.0.2 with private and public port 59 with type TCP.

Click Enter to save the settings and continue.

Hope this will help smile

#67352 12/01/04 03:03 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
And yes, you have to open ports one by one, but you will never need a big range like 1024-5000. Generally, 10 ports are sufficient to do DCC stuff. Try using 5000 to 5009 for example. I don't think you'll upload/download 3976 files at the same time!

#67353 12/01/04 06:36 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Just an FYI, you have 2 hours to edit your posts, so if you forget something you can always just click on the 'Edit' button and add what you forgot to say smile

Happy helping!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#67354 12/01/04 11:28 PM
E
ERMAC Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
Ah, now I understand.

Go to virtual server and open up the ports.

If the fserv says:
"please type /dccserver +sc on 6060 to connect"
go open up port 6060. If they want port 59, go open 59.

One last question however. When you have to open up a range of DCC ports (for example 4000-4009), do you do it in the same manner I just described above (opening up port 59) in the Virtual Server section or do you do that in the Special applications section I described in my first post? And does the range in ports determine how many simultaneous file transfers I can have? Again, thanks for the help.

#67355 13/01/04 09:17 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Yep. Same Virtual Server procedure for each port (DCC only uses the TCP protocol).

When up/downloading using DCC, mIRC opens a random port not used in the specified range. So if you're using 4000-4009 you can reach a max of 10 up/downloads at the same time.
When one up/download is finished, this port is freed an ready to be used again.

Link Copied to Clipboard