Print Thread
#66959 07/01/04 04:05 PM
M
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
OK, I have quite a big problem here.
I help run a 2000 user irc network, and with us growing, our channels has been growing too.

When channels get to like 900 users and above.... when people attempt to join (mostly with mIRC clients), they get disconnected with the quit message 'Max SendQ exceeded'... however, this only happens to some people. For example, I wouldn't have a problem joining the channel and I use the same version of mIRC as the other people.

I've been told this is a client problem, is this true? If so, are there any work arounds to solve it? IE: Anything settings/options which will help fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreiciated.

#66960 07/01/04 06:13 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This happens occasionally because the server sends the names list to the client (otherwise you cannot have the nicklist etc). The SendQ Exceeded error often occurs when joining huge channels with a lot of people because the list is so big. It tends to happen to people with slower connections and/or people with poor quality of the ISPs.

There isn't much you can do about it - it helps to make sure people don't join 4/5+ channels, all with hundreds of people, all at the same time. People will need to join one channel, then wait 10 seconds or so, then join another.

People might also try /remote off to make sure they are not doing /names or /who, because otherwise they will be getting double the information sent to them!

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard