mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
We are trying to figure out a way, with a script, to stop an op who is on a lengthy 'away', who has his own script that is responding to a three letter word in ALL of channel posts, in any combination... instead of just when those 3 letters are alone. He must have forgotten about the asterisks. I thought there might be a way to 'on text' the same thing he is, and temp block his post...mute it, whatever, for the few secs it would take to trigger. I am not even a hop, so this might be asking the impossible, just thought i'd try.

Thanks to anyone willing to try to help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it seems to be a problem for yourself, and operators alike, you may try having the operators devoice them, and set +m. Also, you could set (on most netowrks) a ban on their mask that restricts them from speaking in the channel.

If it is just you a few who do not have an form of control over them, I would success jsut a plain /ignore <nick> >:D

-KingTomato
F
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
Well, yes, if this was just a problem for me ONLY, I'd just ignore the heck out of them immediately, problem solved! But, I was trying to help everyone else out in the room, by taking care of it myself, in what I thought might be a crafty and easy way...ok, slightly possible way. Don't I need to be an op to ban somebody's mask? which I am not..I was hoping to somehow temp mute for the 3 secs or so that his script would respond.(something along the lines of: 'on text' event same as his, mute him for 3 secs, un-mute him...get it?) It looks like you are talking about muting the whole room, which is something we wouldn't want to do at all. It appears there is no real solution to this, unless I was a hop or op, am I getting that correct all you post readers?..:)
Just trying to do the right thing.

Thanks for any reply

C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
kludge fix for this:

on *:text:*[letter1]*[letter2]*[letter3]*:/ignore -u3 hisnickhere

"Illegitimati non Carborundum" -> "Don't let the bastards grind you down."
F
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
yes, that was exactly what I was thinking about, but if I'm not mistaken, that's going to make it so he's ignored by only me...if that's all I wanted, I'd just type /ignore and be permanently done with him. Instead, what I'm trying to figure out is how to block him from posting to the room that short span of time, so EVERYONE, not just me, benefits. Comprende?

thanks for any more attempted help all.

C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
spread the fix around ;-)

that's all a script really is.

"Illegitimati non Carborundum" -> "Don't let the bastards grind you down."
F
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
Well actually, what you provided for me did in fact work...mostly...or halfly...lol. I wasn't able to auto-ignore his 'on text' response. I don't know if his 'puter or lag time is faster (xp2100 here) or what, but it was a great concept. I actually DID see in the status window, that he was posted to the ignore list, and then the time, (which I even increased to 9 secs.) later I saw the nick removed from ignore list. Either I'm missing something yet again, or it's just not quick enough to catch it. Too bad, I even had my fingers crossed. confused
Thanks much for the suggestion though.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
if u cant mute him in channel manually then u cant do it automaticly, if hes an op, i would say only another op could deal to him likely just banning his address, also by the time you see his reply, hes said it, if your cathing the text hes catching, well hes likely gonna send to channel before you could mute him even if it was possable.

Link Copied to Clipboard