Print Thread
#6526 14/01/03 08:51 PM
S
semen Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
ok... i just got k-lined for clone/bot on gamesnet server ... but i don't use either... i share an apt. with 3 other people and we all run off the same ip... 2 of us use irc... is there anyway to un k-line ourselves?

#6527 14/01/03 09:00 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Email the admin for that server/network. The email address should be in the MOTD.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#6528 14/01/03 09:04 PM
S
semen Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
i can't even connect... so... how can i find out that info? or would i have to ask someone that's already online to find out?

#6529 14/01/03 09:10 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You should still be able to see the MOTD before you get k-lined, and the email address should be there. Failing that, try the network's website maybe?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#6530 14/01/03 09:30 PM
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
There really isn't anything you can do about a k-line. Chances are, even if you do email the address in the motd, it will be ignored. When you have a Internet connection, and you value it, don't let just anyone use it to play on IRC, you will end up paying the consequences. Additionally, you might 'pay' the price for someone on your ISP who cannot behave themselves. Again, nothing you can do but move to another network until or if the kline is removed.

#6531 15/01/03 01:33 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
is there anyway to un k-line ourselves?

Nope:

1. You need oper access.
2. You need to be on the server to unset the ban.
3. If you tried to avoid the ban and you were caught they'd just make the ban stronger which is a very real possibility.

Sometimes bans are genuinely placed. Sometimes they are placed mistakenly (opers are human too). Sometimes they are fairly widespread bans because a banned person has avoided it by doing one of several possible things to get around it.

Even though some networks have a policy of emailing opers to find out why a ban was placed I personally don't support this unless the kill reason specifically mentions an email address you can contact to get further information on why that particular ban was placed. Unless emailing offers a release time and a detailed reason to why the kill was done then it's pointless bothering because the best you'd get is "Yep you were banned because you were "blah blah blah...." and we'll remove it when we choose to, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard