mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Z
zigo Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
i have a really weird problem..... when i try to download something, i get the download box, and it says "receiving file" but nothing is received! and after like 2 minutes, it says download failed. however, when i resume something it downloads normally...
by the way my dcc ignore is off and i do not have a firewall or a router...

any ideas? confused confused confused

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Firstly, try to receive off of 2/3 other people to make sure it's definitely your end which is the problem. If it works with other people, it's not your fault it's not working.

Otherwise, the most common problems that I find are:

1) You have an IP mismatch. Type /localinfo -u in mIRC and then ask someone to send you a file or initiate a DCC chat session with you.

2) If you have Windows XP you could have the Personal Firewall turned on without even knowing it. Even if you think it's disabled then you might be wrong :P - check these instructions.

If these two suggestions do not apply or do not work, unload any scripts related to DCC and type /remote off, then try again. If you have installed any "speed patches" which are supposed to make your DCC sessions go faster, uninstall them.

If you're on a network (school, work, cyber cafe, home etc) then you could have a firewall there without even knowing it. Talk to whoever sets up the network and deals with all the techy stuff and see if they can sort it.

A number of DCC issues are dealt with at this site.

You may also want to try a Search for "DCC receive" etc - expand to "All Forums" and "All Posts" for best results.

G'luck, and merry christmas smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Z
zigo Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
no luck........... i tried everything! nothing is working! can anyone please help me?

o and ny the way... i found ONE bot that can send me... i tried like 30, on different chans and networks.... any clues?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
if, in fact, you did find one that worked, and it was on the same network, the chances of it being a problem on your end are almost nil (except for extension problems)

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Bots? If you're downloading files off of IRC via XDCC bots and Fserves, you really should stop. IRC is a chat protocol, mIRC is a chat client - neither were designed, intended nor created for the purpose of file trading. It is also illegal in most cases (due to copyright laws) and is against many network rules. Aswell as this, it's also a big factor in the reason viruses are so rife on IRC nowadays, you're downloading off of clients that you have never met before (humans upload the files to the bots after all) so how do you know they aren't sending you viruses? smile

To save myself from a verbal battering (hopefully) I apologise profusely if you're downloading legit files from 30 different bots on different channels and networks, and ignore all of the above!

You might want to read this post.

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
Many fileservers are themselves behind firewalls, normally because they're hosted on university or corporate connections. In order to get around the problems associated with this there is a system known as "reverse dcc" or "alternative dcc method" or other such designation. When a server uses this method there will be an instruction in the server's advertisement that tells you to use the "/dccserver" command.
Make sure you follow those instructions or there is no way a send can get through.

John.

Link Copied to Clipboard