mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#64871 22/12/03 04:55 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
As in the other post, you talk about how paying for mirc is the only way to go, and that as the new version has a reminder, Wont this just Re-awken the lost art of cracking / Ripping, Vaild Userkey Thingys?

If You were to give it away for free, would it not be better, im not saying that its not worth seeling, but anyone with a little VB programming skill, can make a little chat cilent, myself included... confused

(¯`·._.·[sAcRiFiCe MMiii ]·._.·´¯)
#64872 22/12/03 05:14 PM
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
mIRC has never claimed to be the only IRC client out there. If people don't want to pay for it, then they can by all means write their own IRC client or find one that they can legally use for free. Most people prefer mIRC over other clients, and they are willing to pay the small lifetime registration fee.

-chris

#64873 22/12/03 05:40 PM
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
I must agree with doodman. 20 dollars is nothing compared to most software. add to that the fact its a "One time" price and registration last forever.

Sure anyone can write a client however mIRC stopped being "Just a client" many moons ago. For someone to write a client as robust as mIRC would require alot more than just "A little VB" skill. Besides if you like something wouldnt you want to support it?

Have Fun smile
#64874 22/12/03 05:42 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I personally haven't found a better client than mirc, and felt registration was well worth. I mean for (in most cases) less than the cost of a tank of gas for your car, you have an unlimited license to a wonderful program. You can't tell me if you wrote a program as easy to use, configure, and run as mic you wouldn't charge something for it. It anything, consider it a holiday bonus for Khaled, and a pat on the back.

-KingTomato
#64875 22/12/03 05:45 PM
W
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
W
I would definately register mIRC if the ways to register it weren't that limited. I don't have a credit card...

#64876 22/12/03 05:46 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
lost art?

Cracking and warez have been thriving more than ever, even before mIRC introduced the unclosable About window. In fact, IRC is a big factor of warez (sadly) and why people, including myself, are so against mIRC being used for the purpose of mass file trading. Khaled making mIRC a bit more annoying for unregistered users isn't going to suddenly make the warez world shoot up into the heavens.

Making mIRC freeware would not only possibly mean Khaled has to discontinue programming of future mIRC versions (because a lot of people DO register - just look at the latest charity appeal) but would also mean the warez community have "won" in a way. I think it would be a terrible idea to give in to lame abusive users who are too cheap to either put up with an About window or pay a small fee for a program they use daily.

"but anyone with a little VB programming skill, can make a little chat cilent, myself included..."

Well go ahead then. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to mimic anything as smooth, feature enriched or generally brilliant as mIRC smile

Happy chatting.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#64877 24/12/03 06:22 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
So you think Khaled and other programmers should give up the way they make a living just because there are some ppl who will resort to cracks? thppfft. ppl who want to steal will come up with the darnedest reasons to "justify" it.

Personally i think the $20 i spent years ago for mIRC was some of the best money i ever spent. Many ppl obviously agree, and i know lots who register for friends or more than once during the charity appeals Khaled does because not only is mIRC such a bargain but the author cares enuf to use some money to help others who are in great need.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard