#6460 14/01/03 03:10 AM
R
RMA Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Hello,

I'm probably kind of a newbie compared to you pro's arround here... but I got one question regarding Undernet. Is it just me or is Undernet right now experiencing problems quite similar to what happenend on DALnet lately? Over the past ~ 10 days there've been more netsplits than I've seen during the whole past year! Also there are problems with horrific lags... anyone knows what's going on?

Just for your information, I'm from Germany and mostly using Diemen oder Haarlem, since both servers haven't been working properly for the last few days I'm now using Amsterdam 1 & 2, but things keep on happening as described above... frown

Thanks in advance for any answers you might have.

RMA

#6461 14/01/03 03:18 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's not certain but entirely possible. Nothing in the computer world is impossible and it is natural that with Dalnet's massive size downgrade that the attackers will turn their attention to somewhere else. Undernet is at times the next biggest network so they are a likely target. I know what it's like to face 3000+ warbots so if this starts to happen, I, among many, know what they are going through.

#6462 14/01/03 03:30 AM
R
RMA Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Thanks for you quick reply at first. Hey, it's four in the morning here, I gotta go to bed... wink

And there's still not even a hint of what or who's behind that attacks? I read the threads about DALnet and it sounds terrible. For how long want those b*stards keep on doing that? Until every major IRC network is destroyed... hell, who in the world would be interested in doing a something like that? How do they manage to do that and isn't there any software against it? I hate conspiracy theories, but I read that one post in a DALnet thread about a possible connection to the RIAA... as you say, nothing in the computer world is impossible. And they've already proven to actively work against "us" (whoever that is) - see what they did on KazAa, talking about fake files, viruses etc. ...

Man, I hate those times... frown

#6463 14/01/03 03:42 AM
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
I started IRC on Undernet back in '91 and it was split city. You would type something, server would disconnect, you'd get on another server and TWENTY MINUTES later, you would see your 'ghost' say those words. I kid you NOT. Problems come and go... I just wish they would get lost when they're 'gone' as to not find their way back smile

#6464 14/01/03 03:53 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
For how long want those b*stards keep on doing that?

For as long as they want to mate. They are probably on the dole, bludging their lives away instead of using their skills to make an honest living. That's life though.

but I read that one post in a DALnet thread about a possible connection to the RIAA...

The RIAA only has jurisdiction in the US whereas Dalnet is a network that has (had) worldwide presence. I doubt that the RIAA would breach laws of foreign countries even for purely financial reasons.

I'll stick to my theory of the Dalnet attacks being caused by two or more groups of bored people who simply just want to be known to themselves for crashing big IRC networks.

#6465 14/01/03 05:35 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
UnderNet is having problems. Their website isn't working. I think their severs are okay though. I'm guessing once DALnet is down, maybe the DoS attacks will hit not the 1st largest network anymore, but the 2nd. DALnet was 1st I think when attacked. Now UnderNet is 2nd. And I don't think they will care much about QuakeNet, but who knows.

#6466 14/01/03 07:19 AM
N
Babel fish
Babel fish
N
Currently, the Undernet website is working fine for me. I have no problems connecting to moscow.ru.eu.undernet.org either.

We care too much about network names, don't we. I only need my friends around me, curious mIRC users, and strangers making sense. Thank God, these things are immortal.

Of course, if I were an IRCop/admin and had something to lose, my point of view would probably be different.

Sincerely,
Necroman, #mIRC @ Undernet
#6467 16/01/03 02:04 PM
R
RMA Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Today, at about 1:30 pm GMT for more than a half an hour it wasn't possible to connect to any european undernet server... and even after it is now possible to connect again, there is horrible lag all over the place... anyone who knows more? Looks like another major dDoS-attack, if you ask me...

#6468 16/01/03 02:54 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've just been reading some of the IRC news websites. Seems that being a moron is habit-forming, therefore you could be right about this being a DDoS attack. As I mentioned elsewhere here today, IRC server admins will have to find ways to make their servers withstand the punishment delivered by warbots. I've also mentioned before that this problem isn't commited by one person or even one group. A more likely scenario is that someone has thought "I'm gunna attack this server and will write a trojan capable of (in big numbers) nailing the server." So from there he does-so and by doing it encourages some other desperately bored but knowledgeable goon to do the same. Then someone else has a crack at it and declares that the whole network is gunna cop it.

It's worth saying again what I must have said 1,000,000 times, if people refrain from visiting advertised (/notice or /msg) websites then this activity cannot happen. As long as there are people either willing to take the risk for a quick peep at a few naked genitalia or simply not care whether they get infected by the website they visit then life for both IRC server admins and also webmasters of popular websites will just get harder.

In the end the users of IRC have a big say whether the attacks will continue to develop or not.

#6469 18/01/03 12:49 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Since DALnet has been ddos attacked so mutch lately most DALnet users go to undernet, that makes the network larger and for sure with more lag and splits... we will just have to wait when the kiddies will stop playing and go back to DALnet.. Patience, they will get borred someday :tongue:

Link Copied to Clipboard