mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#63838 13/12/03 02:39 AM
S
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Here is a link for the pictures i took when i get these errors when i click on irc links.

http://www.geocities.com/phatcreationscc/mircerrorpage

#63839 13/12/03 10:13 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Maybe Internet Explorer protects against downloading illegal files called 'warez' smile *G* - Maybe Bill Gates recognises that IRC is a CHAT program and therefore, NOT for mass file trading of warez.

You may try connecting to the irc:// links which can be found around this website, particularly in the Chat Links section of the site.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#63840 13/12/03 11:04 AM
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
the address isnt correct, or your browser only understand http:// and/or ftp:// addresses and not <a href="irc://..." target="_blank">irc://...</a> find some one whos good with IE and/or Windows troubleshoots ..

#63841 13/12/03 11:33 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:

Maybe Internet Explorer protects against downloading illegal files called 'warez'

stop asume that people will do somthing wrong.. you are a <deleted by moderator>, and if u must reply.. reply with somthing usefull.. not all this crap u allways writing.. a whole bible and you dont get anything usefull said anyway......

<ParaBrat note: will you PLEASE stop with the namecalling! Surely you can disagree without insulting someone>

Last edited by ParaBrat; 13/12/03 08:10 PM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#63842 13/12/03 12:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Perhaps if you would take the time to view the screenshots that were posted, then look at the channel name that is in the irc:// links and then look at the background image, you would revert your comments back unto yourself.

To be honest, I don't actually CARE what you think, and nor does anyone else. Until I'm asked not to by someone with authority, I'll continue preaching my bible smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#63843 13/12/03 12:31 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Just look at ur won posts, 99% of them tell people what they arebnt allowed to do.. and i dont think that u are as white as snow, you allways have somthing to say about what other people should do or not do.. somthing must be wrong with you, you are here to help, not just say "you arent allowed to do that and this".. and you sume that every one that want help with somthing that have the word "download" added to it, then you allways say "illegal files - warez".. dont you think that people can make ther own images and other files they want to share with there friends? if you get a friend somtime, then maybe you also want to share your stuff with him/her..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#63844 13/12/03 12:41 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I doubt you've looked at 99% of my posts, however, I think if you did, you'd actually find a bunch of people helped out and the rules of this board followed. My reason for so rigidly following them is because I see other people break channel rules every day, and I know how annoying it is when people don't obey them.

I actually assume that anything with the word "warez" in it means illegal downloading - because that is exactly what it is. In this case, the word "Warez" is used in the channel name. In the background image, known warez terms are used like "Slots" and it's obviously some sort of Fserve script.

Now, if you don't care about the fact mIRC and IRC are being used for illegal activities, that's your perogative, but *I* do, and when I believe someone is illegally downloading files, I'll preach away about the dangers, wrongs and rights of using the program.

If you have further problems with my post(s), feel free to private message me to discuss it rather than talking about it on the main board, it looks incredibly lame.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#63845 13/12/03 12:48 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
many pople calling there own program for "Warez".. reason? dont know.. and i read all your posts yes, i read all posts in this forum, and i trying to help, if i cant then i leav the post and let somone else help the person.. and if it's allready answered i also leav the post.. and i tills dont see any reason for you to point fingers to everyone that have a problem with DL, and if you didnt know many "warez" sites have demos you are allowed to download, this include games/music/programs and more.. so dont asume its somthing bad that hides behind that "warez".. many programers relesing a demo of there games, just take a look on clanbase, there you will find demos of Unreal Tournamment1 - Counter Strike and other games, and also som program that people playing these games made, and guess what. they are free and called !!! Warez !!!!
Quote:

Now, if you don't care about the fact mIRC and IRC are being used for illegal activities, that's your perogative, but *I*

the thought i get in mind when i see that, thats "suckup" cos you cant say you never downloaded somthing that you arent allowed to, and i dont belive you if you say you never downloaded a mp3 or other file that are compyrighted.. you maybe even made it so mirc dont reply it's own version reply any more, thats somthing i cant tell or know, but plz.. we are humans, and if somone says "you arent allowed to do this or that".. then be shure that many people just doing this or that wink thats in ouer nature! so dont try look like an angel here and say to others what to do or not to do.. the dude that wanted help here never said anything about somthing bad he wanted to DL.. so cos the url have the word Warez dont mean s*it..

Last edited by sparta; 13/12/03 12:52 PM.

#63846 13/12/03 12:55 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
if thats a www url, then i see somthing strange with it.. i asume thats a private persons address, and if it is, then it often include a user name, like www.someadrress/~user/file
and somtimes without the ~, it's not that commen that private persons have the url www.someaddress/file .. so maybe try search with goggle and see what you find? smile and if it's a irc link, then i belive you must have a port added to the address? im not shure, but i asume so.. smile but if you need more help i will try to help you, just send me a priv message and i answer when i see it smile

Last edited by sparta; 13/12/03 12:57 PM.

#63847 13/12/03 01:20 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Let's not kid ourselves with pedantic technicalities of language. If someone says you're "gay" it is safe to assume they don't mean "happy". When someone says "Warez" it is safe to assume they don't mean "legal demos".

And even IF they are demos, so what? If you read this post you'll see we shouldn't help with Warez for the reasons posted.

And sure, I've downloaded "compyrighted" mp3's, but not with mIRC, and this is what the issue is about. There are programs out there which are designed for file sharing and illegal downloads, everyone knows what they are so there is no need to name them. mIRC is *NOT* a program which is meant for file sharing and I'm sick and tired of it being corrupted because of users using it for that purpose.

The fact that people *DO* break the law is not a reason to help them do so. Sure, just because we say "don't use mIRC for file sharing" doesn't mean people will stop, it also doesn't mean we have to help them with it as you seem to be so adamant in doing.

Finally, you will notice that I posted a link to the "Chat Links" area of this site as I realise their main problem was not to do with warez. This page explains irc:// links and says more than you've said in your last post. If you bothered to click that link you'd see that a port number is not mandatory in the link.

Now please, if you have to contact me again, try using dictionary.com and the PM feature. I won't reply further on this thread in response to this individual argument.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#63848 13/12/03 01:24 PM
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
i would like Parabrat to assist me atleast if not this whole issue ...
i think ..
1. there should be a guideline to deal with questions in which helpers think that the person inquiring is dealing with illegal stuff or has the intent of doing such things..
2. in either of the case the practice and intent can not be proved on any websites forum but only with their text proving their practive and/or intent.
3. however this is too much for this forum so .. i would hand some cookies to our moderator and ask her to ..
a. formulate specific answers to be given out by all the helpers if and when they think that person asking for help has some illegal things going on.
b. i believe with specific answers that would reduce all the debate and would lead to better understanding of common users why illegal stuff is bad and they might turn good instead of causing a clear fight which leads to no good.

thanks

#63849 13/12/03 01:29 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I thought one already existed here.

To be honest, for anyone who isn't completely ignorant and adamant on causing an argument, the screenshots of "Warez" "slots" etc would give 99% of helpers the view that they are dealing with illegal files.

As Karen's post says, we don't help with Warez OR file sharing. It's dangerous, it's illegal (in most cases) and it's not what mIRC is intended for.

My 2 common sense.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#63850 13/12/03 01:37 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Great idea!

But I sincerely doubt the helpers here would like being told how and what to think nearly as much as they do telling others.

#63851 13/12/03 01:41 PM
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
hi Mentality/Chris ..
yes youre very right the guideline already exist ..
as i wrote i was only looking for Para`s word to have one_single_formula answer from any/all helpers if theres any issue of illegal stuff .. you know .. so atleast thers no confusion between any of the helpers atleast ...
cause according to human nature .. if someone who should be helped when see helpers not sure on any issue themselves .. would never turn to right ..
lets wait till the Parabrat gets this msg and gives her verdict ..

anyway thanks for reply ..

#63852 13/12/03 04:01 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Drink Coca-Cola

Hungry? Eat Popcorn

... for a certain somebody. smile

#63853 13/12/03 04:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Pepsi's better >:P

-KingTomato
#63854 13/12/03 04:15 PM
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
take my favorite dotheipen :x

#63855 13/12/03 09:09 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
General reply:
We try to give the benefit of the doubt, but when its clear that someone is downloading files (or wants to) that violate copyright laws, we do not help them. That is clearly stated in the link Mentality posted. We arent judging, we arent dictating the exact wording of a reply. However, we do expect posters to respect our policies and not violate them. We do not help with anything illegal or that could harm others. In spite of making that clear more times than i can count, there always seems to be someone who wants to disagree with that and we have yet another discussion saying the exact same things. This msg board doesnt help with illegal activities, that isnt going to change. Everyone has a right to their opinion, we have the right to ours and to set policies. This isnt just a matter of legalities, downloading and the hot pursuit of files cause a tons of problems. We strongly urge ppl to not download anything from a stranger and to not run about clicking on every url they see. To turn around and then help them do that would be ludicrous. In spite of opinions to the contrary, educating ppl about the dangers is very helpful.

I think Mentality's answer was approriate. He informed the poster we dont help with warez, and also referred him to a link so he could understand chat links. He explained quite well. Judging by the screen shot, it didnt take any raging assumption to conclude warez was involved.

Mentality: my compliments and appreciation for maintaining a professional attitude in spite of insults

Skip: We arent trying to tell anyone how to think or what to do. This forum doesnt help, support or encourage illegal/harmful activities. Ppl can do what they want elsewhere, we just wont help them do it. Simple as that.

e|w: The guideline on this is as clear as we can make it. Usually ppl refer posters to the thread mentioned. There are times when its clear what the person asking is looking for, on other occasions its likely, and on others not obvious. A certain amount of judgement has to be used. If someone asks for sites to download movies/music, get cracks, etc then its obvious. Others may say they are having probs downloading from a bot, which is most likely a file from a stranger and prolly not a pic of their dog. I'm sure we have many times helped a general "i cant download" question where the person just isnt saying what they are downloading. In those cases we give the benefit of the doubt, help them as best we can but also remind them of the dangers of downloading. Anyone who helps here for any length of time, or who takes the time to read the sticky posts shouldnt have any doubt about what we wont help with, but there is always someone who seems to just want to start a flame war just because. In this case, the screenshot made it quite clear in spite of sparta's insistence that warez doesnt mean warez. (and thanks for the cookies smile )

sparta: i dont know why you insist on beating this dead horse. It was very clear that the poster is asking about warez. Play with words all you want, the fact remains that we are not going to help with warez. Mentality wasnt "suckup" he is following the board's policies, which you seem incapable of doing. Once again, i remind you that there is no need for name calling and insults. Its absurd that you flame Mentality and others saying if they cant say something helpful to not post. Yet you consistently make unhelpful and inflamatory posts filled with name calling and insults. I cant recall a post Mentality has made that wasnt helpful and polite. (btw, there ARE other words to use besides "crap", which is needlessly insulting the posts others make) It doesnt matter what you, Mentality or anyone else does outside of this forum. The issue is that ON THIS FORUM we do not help with illegal/harmful activities. Your insistance on rehashing this at every opportunity with rude posts has gotten old.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard