Print Thread
#62918 05/12/03 01:04 PM
Z
zominuz Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
Im using a broadband conection. The ISP has a proxy, for security reasons (they say). THey allow conections on port 80 only and there is no way they give access to any other port, even socks. THe service is free so I can't complain.
Now, I can use ICQ, MSN -can send and receive files-, Yahoo Mssger, and even do ftp with Total Commander (HTTPS proxy as setting) and using the IP, not a domain as address, thou I can't do ftp with any other client...
Well, I know many will say Im nuts or "go read the FAQs"...
It's ok, I did it. But may be someone found a way to solve a problem like this. So I give it a try.
For ilustrative purposes, my IE settings are:
Use proxy
address 10.2.0.x port 80
(with login and pass)

I advice: I DO have permission from the ISP to chat , ftp,
or whatever. Just they wont allow other port than 80.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

zominuz
#62919 08/12/03 05:27 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
this is a really weird ISP since 10.*.*.* are reserved internal IP addresses only usable for LAN's

this would indicate you connected to a LAN and use a gateway/proxy server to connect to internet...

I don't know what your problem really is now...

maybe telling what country your living in and what ISP you are using can shed light on the subject...

only thing I can advice is using another ISP because this one sounds really crap *G*

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
#62920 08/12/03 07:05 PM
Z
zominuz Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
Yes, its like a big lan, a Wan I think? We all connect to the internet with a proxy, that is located at the isp, this isp its only for companies, not a public one. Im talkin from my job. All companies that use that service, are like a big lan using fiber optic, and a satellital device. To avoid intrusion from outside, they block all ports, except 80, wich we are allowed to use. I found that Win Commander, can do FTP using a proxy on port 80. MSN Messenger and ICQ works fine too. But I used to belong to an IRC network, imagine2k, wich currently develops Unreal IRCD, and I want to go back there 'cause i'ts a good place with decent people interested in development and not wasting time with taking overs and that kind of stuff. You know irc doesn't make too much traffic so it wont be a problem for my isp. Im allowed to do anything I want, but only port 80.
My real quiestion here is to know if there's a way to use mirc with that proxy using port 80. BTW I have to authenticate, its not a free proxy. And mirc says "* Firewall: Connection rejected"
or * Firewall: Unknown Method"

NOTE: In the contract, they dont talk about irc or such things, BUT, If you think helping me with this coud be Ilegal, plz let me know, and I wont post about it anymore.
Thanks for your time.

zominuz
#62921 09/12/03 09:37 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
as long as you are alowed to use the internet connection by your boss I don't think there is anything illigal about it ;-]

sorry, can't help you with this :-[

I don't have a lan with this kind of setup to test it on :-[

so I hope someone else can help

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Link Copied to Clipboard