Print Thread
L
lantash Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
Hi, I would like to strongly suggest the following features for MIRC:

-please make it possible to select and copy everything in a room when a room's output has become much longer than the window (if currently possible, please excuse my cluelessness and tell me how)

-please make it possible to select that one link request response-action for a clicked irc link will always be taken (if currently possible, please excuse my cluelessness and tell me how)

-please make it possible to reject an incoming file transfer request (a request for the user to receive a file) IF the file (a file of an identical name) is already being received and the transfer is in progress (if currently possible, please excuse my cluelessness and tell me how)

thanks! smile

Last edited by lantash; 01/12/03 07:42 PM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I may be misunderstanding your questions, but:

-prolly easiest to log the window if youre trying to copy so much that even maximized you cant see all the buffer. you can click on the upper left corner, or hold down your alt key and click the - key to get to the menu, and have it log the buffer if you didnt have logging on to begin with.

-options/IRC/catcher, click the help button there if you need info on the options

-options/dcc, under on send request, if file exists: ask. If someone tries to send you a file that already exists in your get directory then you will be shown a warning that the file exists. You then have the option to either overwrite the file, resume the transfer, or rename the file. You have the choice in that option of ask/resume/overwrite/cancel

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
L
lantash Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
but what you suggested won't let me just copy the whole buffer into the clipboard if i don't want to log everything right?

and you can't turn on logging and then log what's already in the buffer, only new output right?

my situation is that i really don't care about logging everything, and it would be dumb to have to log everything just to be able to rarely get a section of the buffer that's bigger than the window (which is, to be exact, what i want to be able to do, should have specified better, sorry)

with the dcc question, i want to be able to have it set so that i receive any files that i don't have AND AREN'T currently receiving automatically , but otherwise if i have it completed OR AM currently receiving a file of the same name, i want it to automatically cancel -- is that possible now?

thanks!

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Even if you have logging off in that channel, you can choose at any time to save whatever is already in your buffer. Go to the system menu (as i explained earlier, upper left corner of each window) and click on buffer. You have options to save to a file (it will be a log file), save & log or clear. In the same place you can turn logging for new input on and off at any time. Once you have saved the buffer, you can easily open it thru options/logging, click on view.
The only other thing i could suggest is maximizing the window so you can see more of the part of the buffer you want to copy, but if its still bigger than the viewing area you'd have to scroll to copy it all.

re dcc, its really not very safe to automatically accept every file sent to you, but thats of course up to you. In view/options/dcc the "on send request" area determines how you want mIRC to behave when someone tries to send you a file. It might be easier for you to read the help file directions on it, you can see them by clicking on the help button in that options dialog window, or by typing in any mIRC window: /help dcc

If the file in question is already on your directory, then it would cancel, but if its currently downloading, i'd say its not already there, is on a different port, and mIRC wouldnt recognize the second one as a different file.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
and you can't turn on logging and then log what's already in the buffer, only new output right?

/help /savebuf

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
To save all the text in a channel's buffer simply filter it:

/filter -wf #channelname filename

/savebuf works too.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Still, it's a bit of a hassle to get the entire buffer in your clipboard:
- save the buffer
- open the saved file
- select all text
- copy
- delete the file

Imo, the "Copy to clipboard" entry in the Buffer submenu would be a useful feature and something that the best IRC client in the world ought to have. And while Khaled's at it, he could make it so when we click on "Copy to clipboard" while holding down Shift (or something), control codes are stripped from text wink

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Until Khaled integrate the new feature.. You can use my script smile
Code:
menu Channel {
  -
  .Copy to clipboard:WindowToClipboard
  .Copy to clipboard&&without control codes:WindowToClipboard -s
}

Alias WindowToClipboard {
  if (*s* iswm $1) var %StripColors = 1
  var %TotalLines = $line($chan,0)
  var %i = 1
  while (%i <= %TotalLines) {
    if (%StripColors) var %Curline = $strip($line($chan,%i))
    else %Curline = $line($chan,%i)
    clipboard -an %Curline
    inc %i
  }
}

mIRC Chm Help 6.16.0.3 Full Anchored!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I would love a feature that strips CTRL codes from /savebuf so you can save a single log without having to strip all the codes yourself

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
/filter using the -b flag.....

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
this would be nice to have added to the rightclick on a window button besides /savebuf... just for us lazy gits out there ;-]
and also add the savebuf / filter option to custom (text) windows...

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
The -b switch in /filter doesn't strip control codes from <outfile>, just strips codes "when matching text" (yes, the help file is somewhat unclear on that), ie strips codes from <matchtext>; it's equivalent to

/filter <infile> <outfile> $strip(<matchtext>)

I'd really like -b to do what you thought it did, unfortunately there is no switch for that (yet?).

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Yes, I already have something like this, but since it's a scripted solution, it has two main problems:
- It's relatively slow, and this is noticeable on big buffers.
- It kills multiple spaces. Of course, one could insert a ^B pair between two spaces since $line() retains all spaces, but still...

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
so the suggestion is to make a /savebuf with the added feature of stripping CTRL codes ;-]

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You right, the mIRC scripts is allways slower than a dll or a standart mIRC function..

mIRC Chm Help 6.16.0.3 Full Anchored!
O
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
O
It looks like -b strips codes from the current <infile> line when checking <matchtext> against it, something like: if (<matchtext> iswm $strip($read(<infile>,tn,N)))

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Ah, you're right, I was wrong (and I was pretty sure I was right too - I shouldn't trust my memory that much...)

-b looks more useful this way smile

Link Copied to Clipboard