mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#61172 20/11/03 04:12 AM
G
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
i understand MIRC isnt for file sharing but if someone downloads an illegal file.. will they be sued//

#61173 20/11/03 02:05 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I don't know if specific IRC users have been sued for it before, but there's certainly no reason they couldn't be. At the start of this year several IRC servers were contacted by the MPAA regarding filesharing, as a result many IRC servers either banned filesharing altogether or specifically changed their Acceptable Use Policy to state that they would supply any information on users regarding illegal filesharing to authorities if it was requested. Even for those that haven't banned filesharing and don't specifically state those things in their AUP, if they didn't comply to such a 'request' (read: demand) they would probably become targets themselves for legal action. In other words almost any IRC server will sell you out in a heartbeat if push comes to shove. Of course that's if information from the IRC server was even required. I think there's a good chance if you were using a server without hostmasking then there would be nothing needed from the IRC server at all.

Short answer: Yes, you could be sued.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#61174 21/11/03 12:40 AM
G
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
will they warn you and give you a chance to stop before they sue.. or will they just close the channels/servers and not sue the people getting the files?

and also wut about this

If you are affiliated with any government,police. ANTI-Piracy Group,RIAA,MPAA,FBI,movie production company/distribution company or related groups you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995,Therefore you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s),person(s) or company(s) storing these file(s) and cannot prosecute anyone. And you :must LEAVE this Channel NOW!!

Last edited by guitarplaya08; 21/11/03 02:30 AM.
#61175 21/11/03 07:48 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Not everyone is from the USA you know, so US law does not apply to all - hence where the confusion starts when it comes to the Internet.

Basically, IRC means Internet Relay Chat - This means it is meant for chatting. The original mIRC didn't even have a DCC function and it has never truly been meant for mass file trading - Programs such as Kazaa or iMesh are there for that purpose. These lame file sharers corrupt the very meaning behind the client, and they simply don't care smile - File sharing is an ever decreasing activity on IRC for the reasons stated above by starbucks_mafia.

If a network says you cannot file serve, you can't, it's as simple as that - if you do, you *could* be reported to the appropriate law enforcement or simply be banned from the network - it all depends on what the networks IRC Operator policy is on this matter.

Please don't do it smile

Happy chatting.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#61176 21/11/03 01:26 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If you have in your possession a copy of a song that you did not purchase, you can be sued/fined. ONE song is all they need to prosecute.

As far as that "internet Privacy Act" crap ... read THIS and decide for yourself.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#61177 21/11/03 09:15 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
As far as I know they will sue first and ask questions later when it comes to individuals. From what I've seen the organisations going around trying to prosecute filesharers (RIAA, MPAA, etc.) typically only contact large organisations/institutions (universities, large companies, sponsored IRC servers) - ie. the people who actually have a realistic chance of putting up a fight if they are taken to court - before taking legal action, as far as you or I go we're not going to get any kind of warning before the lawyers get involved.

As for the notice there, I sincerely doubt that warning has any legal value whatsoever. Even if it had at one time, with things like the Patriot Act and DMCA becoming law in America it surely won't stop anyone from suing or investigating anybody (in America at least).

I really don't know what the deal is with other countries, I suspect they could do relatively little compared with in America where the RIAA and the MPAA have the freedom to investigate people with very little restriction as far as the Net goes. God bless America shocked.

Of course I'm not a lawyer or anything of the sort and I have no formal knowledge of the law, so it's entirely possible I'm wrong about any number of things.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#61178 23/11/03 04:11 PM
G
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
thanks.. someone told me i should stop using kazaa and go to like some irc spy website and download but i guess i wont!! thanks.. ill just chat wit peoples...,

#61179 29/11/03 03:46 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
<deleted>

Last edited by ParaBrat; 30/11/03 05:19 AM.
#61180 30/11/03 05:17 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
For a number of reasons, we dont support or encourage illegal filesharing. To suggest that someone do something that could get them in trouble or get their puter infected just because you may so far have managed to escape harm is irresponsible. I've seen lots of ppl who say the same thing you do, and later have them come looking for help cause their puter is borked and they found a ton of trojans. I doubt the high volume of ppl being sued by the RIAA would agree with you either.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#61181 30/11/03 02:36 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
iam not a newb . and yes i have not had any problems on kazza. i have a great firewall,and a good virus scan, and aspybot search. it also sounds like you work for the riaa. relax alittle iwas just trying to help .
tv_3

Last edited by ParaBrat; 01/12/03 08:19 PM.
#61182 01/12/03 08:18 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ok, let me try again: we do not help with illegal downloading on this forum.

i dont personally care if you or anyone else figures you can escape problems (and yes, i noted your effort to repeat what i deleted, cute). Our policy is clearly stated, and we ask that everyone respect that.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard