Print Thread
#6090 11/01/03 02:53 PM
C
CalXp Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Ive download a few Irc scripts, Ive noticed that when i connect to a server, a room pops up and the admins from that server kick me out, telling me that i can not open new rooms, can someone please tell me how 2 remove these rooms that r attached 2 the scripts...
Ive looked under the perform option, its not there

Thanks 4 anyhelp smile

#6091 12/01/03 03:47 PM
O
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
O
If I was you, I wouldn't use that script. if you do not know what it does, do not use it! scripts can contain serious exploits, so it's very important to download scripts only from known and authorized websites (for instance: mircscripts or Scriptaz).

If you are being kicked by the administrators, then probably that channel was used for illegal activies, and maybe it has something to do with your script author - so, better watch out and use scripts carefully.

About your question, you can search the remotes for a 'join' command, or for the specific channel name.

To access the remote press Alt+R, then Alt+F to launch the find dialog. type the requested search string, make sure the "search all files" box is checked, and click 'find'. once you've found the requested command, simply delete it, or comment it out by prefixing it by the ; char.

#6092 12/01/03 03:52 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
<Ctrl-F> is Find. <Alt-F> opens the File menu. smile

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
#6093 12/01/03 04:00 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
so it's very important to download scripts only from known and authorized websites (for instance: mircscripts or Scriptaz).

That's a bit vague. I'm aware of both websites as I pass by them occasionally but I would have thought that the very best place to get a script (or any download) is the author's own website.

I've been supplying mIRC related scripts and addons for about 4 1/2 years and in that time I've learned that while it's hard to gain trust of others, it's harder to keep it. I've never had any doubters that I know of and this is why I've never contributed to submission services.

Don't get me wrong, this post isn't to slam such sites, I'm just putting forward the point of view that the type of site has no bearing on whether it's content is trustworthy or not.

#6094 12/01/03 06:28 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The thing is that there are several submission sites which are pretty well established and are known to check scripts to a reasonable extent. If someone leaves their script on their own webpage and that person isn't well known in scripting, there's no way for someone to know whether that person is trustworthy or not without downloading the script and checking it themselves - something which many people are either unwilling or unable to do.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#6095 13/01/03 02:56 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
When you are referring specifically to the two sites mentioned before, yes that's true, but look at sites that make claims they can't/don't back up with policy *cough* mircx.com *cough* where just about everything that one downloads rings the AV alarm bells.

One typical example was "Enigma Script" - Apart from being illegal this script was chokkas with backdoors and other nasties - Open DOS and type netstat -a.... HOLY HELL!!!, kill the script and you lose about two dozen connections to the 'net and lessen your chances of losing your internet account. There were no script files. Everything was hexed into the mIRC.exe (quite clever actually, shame the integrity of the author left much to answer for).

Anyway that's just one nightmare that I remember. This is why it is important not to catagorise websites like this. Every man and his dog knows that Scriptaz and mIRCScripts are fine but that is two sites among hundreds of mIRC related sites out there. As for sites managed by the contributors themselves (myself and potentially millions of other people) yep, there's plenty of bad among us, but alot of good too.

It's just a passing thought but perhaps a ratings agency similar to ICRA could be set up to allow voluntary compliance with a specific code (decided at some later stage). One could argue that this sort of thing is easy to rort but liars never last long which is a good thing because it reinforces the value of the various compliance organisations that we already have.

Link Copied to Clipboard