#60223 13/11/03 07:45 PM
R
ramram Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Hi

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question or not.

I have a question about the upload bandwidth.

When I upload something, my whole bandwidth is going way low ? (I am not talking about upload or download bandwidth specifically... but the whole bandwidth or line speed itself)

Why is this happening ? Can I rectify this or is this a property of uploading ?

I was wondering why I am not able to give a good upload speed (even though I have a very good download speed).

Can someone help me with this issue. I am using mIRC 6.12 and Sysreset 2.53 on Windows 98. And I am using Cable Modem.

Thanks

#60224 13/11/03 08:52 PM
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Chances are your cable modem is capped at 1.5mbps downstream, 128kbps upstream (like mine). You'll have to ask your ISP what your exact limits are. After you know this, you can try limiting your uploads to somewhere below the limit to make downloading not suffer quite as much.

There is a whole lot of information on this topic, try searching google for "bandwidth throttling", "traffic shaping", or "Quality of Service".

What you describe is perfectly normal for a cable user with typical bandwidth restrictions.

BTW, cross posting in different forums is considered rude. If you have made an error in which forum you posted in, a moderator can correct it for you.

-c

#60225 13/11/03 09:12 PM
R
ramram Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
R
Thanks for your response.

Yes. My upstream limit is 256 kbps. But when I send a file with 20kbps, my whole line speed is going very low.

Why is this steep difference ?

#60226 13/11/03 09:16 PM
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Are you sending at 20KBps or 20kbps (bytes or bits, respectively)? 256kbps is 32KBps, so your figure of 20KBps would make a little more sense there.

At any rate, if you're having issues related to your internet connection, they should be taken up with your Internet Service Provider, they can't be solved on mIRC's help forum smile

-chris

Link Copied to Clipboard