mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
Are their any plans to make a New built in Mirc Url Spam Blocker incorporated into a brand new MIRC?

This could be the best way help stop the endless cycle of Newer users getting infected upon visiting these websites and then, advertizing that website.

If there aren't any plans sometime in the near future dont you think mirc will be come a raving cesspool of advertizing like Yahoo?

++++++++++++++++++++

Just an idea to give to the man.
feel free to respond

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well how could mIRC know what's 'URL spam' and what's not? There are plenty of conversations on IRC which have URLs in which aren't spam, so blocking all URLs doesn't make sense, and unfortunately spam and trojaned URLs rarely contain the text 'im%20spam' or 'link_to_trojan' so there's really no way for mIRC to know what to block. A better way for people to stop getting infected by things like this is for users to take the time to learn about the internet and use some common sense in not clicking anything and everything that's put on their screen. Of course not using highly insecure software (read: Internet Explorer) would go a long way to fixing the problem also.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
very true.. but at the moment mIRC already catches urls and places them in a document... whats to say maybe khaled implemented a filter.. like a white list and a black list.... users could post on a help site all the BAD url so it could be blocked... something like secureserv in a way... i dunno if that makes sense still to early in the morning for me :P

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Actually it doesn't make much sense. How would your specific mIRC know of all the urls everyone ever found? By connecting to the website holding the file and checking everytime? Or by downloading the file every few hrs? Then of course - how are you goinf to stop people from adding fakes to the bad-url list, seeing as how no one is ever gonna have enough time to check all those urls.

The best solution is to use one's brain. Don't click on any urls posted by people you don't know. If such ways of spreading a virus are to be stopped, the answer is not to make life hard on those who know what they are doing, but to educate the ones who don't know.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
M
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
1. They could make a initial First Query warning not to go to unfamiliar websites due to virus issues which could be turned off at anytime.

2. They could make it an option whether or not you are able to open URLS by clicking on them and initially making it so people cannot open URLS onclick... like for a mouse options..... URLS open upon double click URLS don't open on Click. and they could post the warning when you checkmark the option to click on URLS

3. They could create a built in URL blocker to at very least block the most common URLS and cut down at least 50% of the advertizing in 1 shot although it would hafta be updated per version at least but you wouldnt hafta make a large list of URLS to make it effective..... This would give time for most antivirus teams to report and shutdown these webservers and Sites... if the old URLS are blocked then that would stop them from resurfacing to anyone with newer MIRC's and it would make the virus makers having to change their URLS constantly and make them work harder. And would cut the work for the Mirc antivirus teams.

really i am sure there are more than 3 ways to solve this problem these are just options off the top of my head. Even if the programmers give you a quick page for new users to read to take these virus's more seriously Mirc could be filled with less spam, less virus's..... but they haven't ever been taken all too seriously by the programmers. But if it becomes a festering problem to where you can't chat anywhere without spam how much fun will that take away from MIRC..?

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
another idea is a strip URL option (like colors, bold, etc) or a list of stripable urls. While we're at it, there could also be options to strip URLs from quit/part messages.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it

Link Copied to Clipboard