mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#59211 10/11/03 07:18 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
replied to the last post, but a generic comment ...

I'd personally like to see a download available that's just the mirc executable (maybe zipped for a smaller size) and have the help file (and all other files) available for those installing for the first time. Of course I know this will never happen because of all the newbies that would download the smaller file then wonder why it didn't work.

/me sends ParaBrat a dozen homemade peanutbutter cookies grin

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#59212 10/11/03 07:30 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
*perk* pb cookies! pouncechomp laugh

Since the help file contains info specific to each version, and as you said many new ppl are downloading for the first time, i personally wouldnt like to see that taken out of the download.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#59213 11/11/03 12:06 AM
R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
Besides... it's not that big of a file to begin with... even for modem users. smile

#59214 11/11/03 08:18 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
saying its a "question of professionalism, and of respect for customers" just because it isnt included in each download isnt fair

Heh, I'm being unclear. Mea culpa. To clarify: I find the lack of a truly comprehensive, updated help file to be a question of professionalism and respect for customers.

In the example I gave about the me prefix in remote definitions, it was necessary to go back to notes on version 3.8 (released in November 1995!!) to find documentation of a feature which works in version 6.12.

I challenge anyone to find another piece of software (excluding operating systems) in which it is necessary to review documentation for an eight-year-old version to learn not only how to use a feature that is still current, but that the feature exists at all!

Things mentioned on these fora as not documented in the help file within the last 6 months (see especially this thread) include:

$*, $beta, $pnick, $nickmode, 'Flush files', $lof, /action, $colour(), $iaddress, $naddress, $raddress, $token(), $mp3(), $shoe(), $r(), $yes, $no, $cancel, !===, /setlayer, $pi, $evalnext(), /registration (!!!!!), $nopnick(#, N), $nvnick(#, N)...

There are of course others.

While there may be reasons for non-inclusion, the fact is that they're there and they work (for the time being, at least). So why not document them, including where necessary a note that a particular feature is present for backwards compatibility only or is slated for removal?

I just do not see how anyone can argue that this is a satisfactory situation. It's not going to stop me from using mIRC, which I registered years ago - but neither do I believe that mIRC is up to scratch in this regard. And these forums are in part here to provide user feedback, yes?

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#59215 12/11/03 02:23 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Many of the identifiers you just mentioned are deprecated versions of the ones that *are* documented. There's no need to document them.
(Edit: maybe it would be good if these were mentioned as "past versions" of the current ones, only to avoid confusion, but that's it..)

By the way, $yes, $no, $ok and $cancel *are* documented, as $input values (AFAIK, that's what they're there for - no other specific functions, no need to have their own sections).

Anyway, though, I agree the help file isn't satisfying.

Last edited by cold; 12/11/03 02:26 AM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#59216 13/11/03 09:45 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
/me dcc's Para the neverending milk glass for all those cookies (s)he* seems to be getting from us all.

* no clue if you're a guy or girl hence the (p)ronoun ;-)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#59217 14/11/03 05:49 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Brat changes the milk into coffee and sips happily.

Btw, No peanutbutter cookies == cranky bratty :tongue:

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#59218 14/11/03 07:22 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
coffee it is smile Oh, and I only do chocolate chip cookies........ not a fan of PB unless it's with J ;-)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard