Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Hi

as you can see on this board, the request to add a Buddylist feature with the small tool WASTE is the most read thread here on the board.

MIRC needs an INSTANT MESSENGER function to see the found buddies again online.

Use WASTE and GAIM from sf.net.

Combine both.

Thanks.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
MIRC needs an INSTANT MESSENGER function to see the found buddies again online.

No it doesn't. IRC and IM are two very different things.

G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
AOL has both: chatrooms and a buddylist.
You can hook people from the chatroom to the buddylist.

Why shouldn´t IRC need this ?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There's a thread only about 3 down from the WASTE one that has been read more times, so it hasn't been read the most. Not that it really matters, being read a lot doesn't equate to being supported by lots of people. The discussion in that thread was 'heated', most likely the people posting kept viewing the thread to see if there was a reply. The only thing that can indicate whether people think something is a good idea or not is the actual replies to the thread, and pretty much all of them not written by you are of the opinion that it would be a WASTE of time (pun intended). Who cares what proprietary IM protocols/clients have? They're all inferior to the IRC protocol and it's clients in almost every single way.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
why is the IRC chat protocol superior, if it has not the feature of budiling a buddylist ?

The main difference is the decentral chat and friendslist.

IRC has any ugly way to search servers. And it is not *slimey* enough to put freinds on one list.

IRC is "Edgey".

;-)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are NO standard Instant Messager protocols, because all of them rely upon Central Servers with the goal of Earning Money through Advertisement Sales.

ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc ALL have company servers and proprietary protocols. The open source projects you see that utilize these services are doing so ILLEGALLY by ignoring the services' End User Policies. mIRC, being a corporate entity and not an open-source project, would be liable for millions of dollars of inflated losses by these companies. Khaled is not in the business of getting sued.

mIRC is an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) protocol client, not some Internet Content Provider (ICP) like AOL or MSN or YAHOO. Look up the definition of "la-carte". I hope this makes more sense to you.

Why don't you define an Internet Standard Instant Messager Protocol (IMP) and develop a network of IMP Servers that utilize and provide free access to open standards.

Until then, Stop WASTING our time.
Be glad that IRC is [advertisement] FREE.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:
why is the IRC chat protocol superior, if it has not the feature of budiling a buddylist ?

It is superior for that very reason. You are not 'locked' into a one-to-one dialogue with someone who has suddenly pounced on you and demands your undivided attention - unlike IM.

Quote:
The main difference is the decentral chat and friendslist.

Yes. And let's keep it that way.

Quote:
IRC has any ugly way to search servers. And it is not *slimey* enough to put freinds on one list.

Search servers for wot? If you mean channels, the channel list obtained by /list is perfectly fine. I mean, you get all the channels in one location, sorted in alphabetical order complete with topic and the number of users in the channel. Can't think of a better way of doing it myself... smile

Quote:
IRC is "Edgey".

Better than fluffy and cute.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Quote:

as you can see on this board, the request to add a Buddylist feature with the small tool WASTE is the most read thread here on the board.

oh, when did 351 views become more than 8000 odd?
care to look above and you will see "browser switching for mirc" has many more views.

new username: tidy_trax
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
ok, waste as a plugin, gaim as well.
But Waste is as well a protocol and method, this you could use.

So waste integrated and gaim as a plugin.

Or both as a plugin like invision script

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
invizion is (one of?) the lamest script out there..

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
no not one of, THE lamest one out there.

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"please add my excellent feature, look: this LAME script uses it laugh!!!!"
[/sarcasm]

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not to get into too much details, but IRC already supports Buddylists, its called Notify Lists--

/help /notify
/help on notify

Btw, yes invision is THE lamest. Scoop Script trails a close second though >:D

-KingTomato
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
Btw, yes invision is THE lamest.

thought so smirk

New username: hixxy
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i personally believe the top 3 would be

1 invision
2 scoop
3 noname

after that its just so hard to decifer the levels of lameness

D3m0nnet.com
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
noname isn't that lame.
just the /quit spam messages smirk
"trojan script" is also lame. maybe 4th?

New username: hixxy
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Use the notify feature if you want to see when people are online.

Or if you really want an instant messenger, go use trillian. It has IRC, MSN, and Yahoo support.

WASTE+GAIM+MIRC == Disaster.

mIRC has primarily been about IRC. Why should it be bloated with unnecessary crap like IM clients? If you just have to have an IM and IRC client all in one, then like I said, go use trillian.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
I think some comments in this thread an indirectly pointed out a problem. Our impressions of IRC are shaped a lot by the way we interact with it, which has been 99% through a mirc style interface - plain text, an editbox, and a nicklist.

IM clients changed this, but it wasn't IRC anymore. We have alot of the features already built into mirc - the problem is they need to be more eyecandyish.

I suggest that some of you meander over to the developer forum and look at AKO's new IRCd thread - in which its suggested some feasible ways to add functionality to the protocol.

Search back also, and look at some of my thoughts on the mirc address book.

If mirc shot off at a tangent and did a _novel and quirky_ approach to interacting with IRC I think we wouldn't see stuff like this.
Microsoft chat of course tried, and failed, with the comic chat idea. UGH! I am not suggesting we go that way.

Specifically; I think we need a style of browser like 'taskbar', where you can drag and drop nicknames into address books/notify lists.
I think we need to be able to hide and dock windows alot more fluidly.

It wouldn't be harder to implement than redoing the nicklist control, the taskbar control and using 99% of the code for a /uwho.

The current script dialog system, i kinda wouldn't mind seeing it thrown out and redone completely - having most dialogs in mirc parsed with a GUI style engine like PHP-GTK is, or winamp's wasabi - this would let scripts customise interfaces, or simply inherit all of the underlying code, methods and events. Combine this with resource strings and you begin to break away from the out-of-the-box feel mirc always has retained (MTS can't redo internal dialogs, so i'm quietly ignoring it)

This way we could _DO_ buddylists, without having to know much more than some rather advanced scripting. Of course, i'nm reasonable, and I don't think any of these things are likely to happen, due to the lack of time and effort.

The best script(SmartICQ) I ever saw doing this had to use, of all things, picture windows - a lot of power, but slow when you can't draw transparently.

Hell, we all know the track record on GUI changes, and I don't want to have to make a large fuss and wander away from these boards as codemastr unfortunately did.

R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
Dutch people would agree that LEUTESCRIPT is the lamest ever :tongue:

@#botwars @Kreynet
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Anything with ridiculous coloured popups can be included in that list. :tongue:

G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
Hi clockwerx

tahnks for your suggestions and feature requsts.

You are right, We have Win XP and not dos age of time,

Mirc is very old fashioned with dos commands,

We need a buddylist indeed.

If this is possible, di it and make it IM sytle.

Eyecandish.

It should be so easy like a simmple buddylist.

See

www.easymessage.net

it is sooo good.

But all thes mirc icons and hidden dos commands and the folderbrowsing with cstp or waht it is ,....

this is even more complacted than icq.

PLEASE make it simple to list a freind and a buddylist and to browse users,

IRC is already used for filetrading.
Add a gnucleus to it.

www.gnucleus.com is providing gnuc dna 1.000 in a few weeks.

this has g2 implemented

Thanks

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If you like filesharing use a filesharing protocol. Whether DCC in IRC is used as one or not is irrelevant, it just means there are lots of idiots who do things the hard way for the sake of it.

Anyway, what's with the constant suggestions of making mIRC like every other program you can think of? If you like those programs why not use them aswell as/instead of mIRC? Everything doesn't have to be in one program.

G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
no dos commands in mirc !

R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
A buddy list?! In IRC?! That defeats the whole idea of what IRC is. If you want buddy lists, go use IM. IRC and IM are NOT the same thing and should not be.

If you want ugly (my opinion) eye candy next to the nicks, get a script that does that. If you want a buddy list, get a script that does that... there have to be some out there. But don't have it as part of mirc.

IRC is a multi-network , multi-channel system and the way IRC (not mirc) is set up, checking for "buddies" (always hated that word... sounds like I'm in kindergarten) online requires you to be on the network they are on... unless you're using one of the programs that can scan the networks without being connected... which isn't worth using. If you're on IRC to chat, then you probably have various channels you go to. Just auto-join those channels, and you'll see who is online. And, if you really can't look in a nick list, use /notify.

Just keep IM out of IRC. It does not belong there.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
And what do you suppose /run is for?

Try it out.

You might just be impressed.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
There aren't any DOS commands in mIRC, however the command-line format (which I assume is what you mean) is the entire basis of the IRC protocol. Things like Services and many user/channel modes are non-standard and cannot be implemented effectively as a GUI in the current implementations, they simply differ too much from server to server and not enough detailed information is provided for the clients to dynamically create a complete interface for them. Until that changes people will always need to know at least some of the commands for the servers they use.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just an fyi..

Quote:

Not to get into too much details, but IRC already supports Buddylists, its called Notify Lists--

/help /notify
/help on notify

From my previous post. mIRC Does have the ability to have a buddy list. Also, you can't speak for everyone as what "an irc script should look like" People have all different tastes, and please try to accept that. Some people like their coffee plain, others with 1 cream, 1 sugar. Some wiith 2 and 2, 1 and 2, iced, the list goes on...

-KingTomato
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Hmm. apparantly you never ran into the likes of Polaris, OrbitScript, Coolmirc and Excursion

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Don't forget the quitline spam with a kazillion colors, people who thinks it's leet or kewl to have their script dump 3 lines of multicolored on join greetings into a channel when they join themselves, etc

DALnet #Helpdesk
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
In response to the very very first post in this thread: The fact (see end!!!) that this thread would be/is the most read thread has no bearings whatsoever on how many people would actually find this useful. What about all those people who are just curious why there are so many replies? What about people who replied and return later to see if there's any response to their posts?

as for your claim that your post to add WASTE is the most read: it is complete and utter bullsh*t. This thread at this time only has 200+ reads, your post on adding WASTE at this time has gathered 379 views, while the second-from-the-top post by Hammer has well over 8000, so what on earth are you basing this upon. 379 views in 18 days corresponds to an average of 21.1 views per day. Trashy's post on the ignore feature dated oct 28th has had 308 views, which is 32.2 posts per day. Hammer's post I mentioned earlier averages on about 24-25 views per day. This thread actually has a better average, but I doubt that's because people want to support your request. So far in two threads I see nothing but people who object to your suggestion. Perhaps it's time to stop repeating this request.

DALnet #Helpdesk
R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
Regarding "DOS" commands... I believe the person was referring to Fservs. Although these are technically UNIX commands, someone who is not computer literate (or who is only Windows literate, anyhow) can easily mistake the two. Those are, however, the only commands that can be thought of to be DOS, though as I said they are UNIX.

D
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
D
I think it's about time we closed this discussion. Lets explain WHY mIRC has yet to produce anything in terms of intergrating propriatory IM software within the program.
First, mIRC is just that - mIRC, not MSN Messenger, not AOL Instant Messenger or any other IM client. It is designed to connect to IRC servers and provide a client interface to the user so that he/she can communicate via the IRC protocol. It is not designed to connect to other types of network, and I don't think Khaled will ever intend for it to do so.
Second, I do not see why people can't use one of the features mIRC WAS designed to use in order to get onto IM networks. Khaled put scripting into the client in order for the user to be creative and so that the user could implement any extra tools he/she may require using the client. Now, from memory - most of the leading mIRC scripting websites, ie www.mircscripts.org have really good addons that allow the user to connect to such IM services. IMO, I think trying to hardcode IM services into a client that uses an entirely DIFFERENT protocol is a WASTE of time.
Third, if you see that it's a popular subject, but it isnt getting much praise, don't come back and try and raise it when it is OBVIOUSLY not a wanted feature. It has been said that these features are not voted one, and popularity DOESNT win for Khaled. Khaled has limited resources, including time, and he doesnt visit the boards often, don't waste what little time he uses here on insisting that a feature should be implemented.

Apologies for the flame, I felt like correcting some foolish people for the night - have a good one guys...

The Illusion

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Just a slight edit, Khaled reads these boards regularly, he just doesnt post often

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
maybe he can assume some ideas ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard