mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#58284 29/10/03 10:26 PM
S
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
S
how do i make a home server using mirc? like i want to start a triviabot. how would i go about making it. i have the connection for it i just needa know how.
sniper

#58285 30/10/03 12:25 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mirc is not a server, it is a chat client. What you're referring to is an IRC server, not client. In this case I would recommend http://www.unrealircd.com/

-KingTomato
#58286 30/10/03 01:13 PM
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
mirc may not be a server as coded by khaled, but it can be scripted into one.

(This is not meant to be advertising. I'm not trying to add users, etc)
<a href="irc://irc.xscripters.com/" target="_blank">irc://irc.xscripters.com/</a> (or fame.no-ip.info as I'm not sure when the dns will die, stupid dns server changes) is an example of a mirc scripted IRC server.

It has all the features of a regular server, even a working /map. Linking works as in the servers communicate, but synchronization isn't finished.

If you're interested in the coding, etc contact me.

evil is in the eye of the beholder
#58287 30/10/03 09:09 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unless they want to lag to hell, this is not a suggested. IRCd's are written for a purpose, they are both efficient and can hold mass number of users. mIRC is meant to be a client, not a server.

-KingTomato
#58288 31/10/03 07:29 PM
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
.036s lag (mirc to mirc) is pretty damn good. Any other lag depends on the connection and cpu of the server computer. mirc has the power to manage a healthy sized network of your friends. besides that its coded to be able to hold more connections than ever possible in the os.

evil is in the eye of the beholder
#58289 31/10/03 08:44 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mirc has the power to manage a healthy sized network of your friends.

Quite true. Especially for those able to fit their friends into a phone box. Imagine being an oper on a single-threading mIRC-script based server and doing an /ns list * ...

While mIRC serves all nickname registrations to that oper no-one else can do a single thing but wait.

My suggestion is that the user download a wIRCd and play with that. It's not hard to set up but does require some IRC experience and knowledge of terminologies such as o:line and u:line. If that is beyond comprehension or you want to run a serious server then save up a few thou' and purchase a CR licence. That way you can set things up in mIRC via AdminServ, online via a web browser or on the server itself with a dialogue box.

While mIRC has the ability to perform any IRC function, it cannot do it successfully with many users. That is why IRCds are written.

#58290 01/11/03 12:40 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Why would /ns list * halt processing? To get that information would be a marginal amount of time, a queue or timer system could easily be set up to prevent sending the replies too quickly, all without halting mIRC's processing. I would imagine an IRCd built around mIRC could support 2-3 dozen users, which probably accounts for about half of all IRC servers running. Of course it's impractical and probably unstable compared to a 'proper' IRCd but you could just about get away with it for a while.

Without wanting to get into an IRCd debate again I'll just quietly point out for completeness that there are plenty of IRCds equally powerful and stable as CR which are free and a fair few people around willing to help set a server up.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#58291 01/11/03 02:20 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Why would /ns list * halt processing?

Make a mIRC script do something BIG and you'll soon see why. Perhaps a timer system could work but that would then slow down delivery so you are neither here or there as far as performance goes. The point is someone is gunna suffer somewhere. As for your comment on IRCd's, well even though you declared you wouldn't be drawn into a debate on the issue you actually did by commenting. I won't though, since it wasn't my aim. The issue is mIRC v's ANY IRCd and that is what I am sticking to as I did cover all possibilities to begin with.

#58292 01/11/03 12:02 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Assuming that he's running the Services from mIRC also (otherwise /ns list * would basically have no effect on the IRCd) the information in them would either be stored in hash tables or in a database linked with a DLL. That information could be retrieved very quickly, given that a 'mIRCd' would only be for a very small network, which the majority of networks are, the entire NickServ list would probably be no more than 50-60 entries - that's chickenfeed for mIRC. Even if it was more than that there's always going to be a limit imposed by the Services on how many nicks it sends - probably about 50.

My other comment was, as I said, for completeness. I didn't want this guy to think that he had to pay thousands of pounds/dollars/simoleans for a decent IRCd. That's the kind of misunderstanding that leads to people using a 'mIRCd' in the first place.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#58293 01/11/03 01:24 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Assuming that he's running the Services from mIRC also ....

Of course.

Link Copied to Clipboard