Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
W
Greetings,

I seem to be getting disconnected alot with 6.03

(in status window)

* [10053] Software caused connection abort

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this?

I'm on cable and no other services or apps are dropping connect.
I have these running almost always, (icq, ftp, usenet download, radmin and email [15 min interval]]

cheers,
whiskey
efnet

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How often does it happen and how long has it happened for? It usually just means that your connection has failed for some reason.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
This thread might help. smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
Alright, I had posted this under "Connection Issues" but here is likely more fitting...

Winsock error 10053 occurs randomly under Windows XP Professional when using mIRC version 6.x.

Other than that it happens at least once per day, it seems completely random (sometimes it stays connected for 10 minutes, sometimes 15 hours).

I have tried using versions 6.01, 6.02, and 6.03, and each have the same problem. I tried running it on different computers running Windows XP Professional, and the same problems occurs on all of these computers. I have asked a few of my friends if they have the same problem, and they do. Using a different server or a different network does not affect the problem.

The problem DOES NOT occur with mIRC version 5.9 on Windows XP Professional. The problem DOES NOT occur with mIRC version 6.x on Windows 98.

One more note - this error occurs both with and without XP service pack 1 installed.

Last edited by ParaBrat; 20/04/03 10:19 PM.
J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
One more note - this error occurs both with and without XP service pack 1 installed.

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
[censored] happens.. the NetGamers connection seems to stay stable, on the rest the last error was a 10053

XP pro, sp1
AMD Thunderbird, 807MHz, 256KB
256mb ram
D-Link DFE-530TX+ to a D-Link DI-707 dsl router
mIRC 6.03

$uptime(system,1) - 1wk 4days 8hrs 58mins 10secs
$uptime(mirc,1) - 1wk 4days 8hrs 57mins 19secs
$uptime(server,1) loop:
NetGamers: 5days 20hrs 44mins 20secs
QuakeNet: 2days 13hrs 14mins 8secs
Justirc: 2days 13hrs 25mins 3secs
irc-chat: 17hrs 55mins 28secs
IrcWorld: 3days 17hrs 7mins 55secs

evil is in the eye of the beholder
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
"* [10053] Software caused connection abort"

Doesn't this mean the *Server* software? Because, I almost always receive this error, in mIRC, when shutting down the wIRCD that I am connected to.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
i seem to get that same message but it could also be something thats on my computer cause when i run Kazaa it does that to me alot but it always reconnects me...

J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
Post by ParaBrat: "I dont have a why for you, but i can tell you i know some ppl using XP pro who say they only get that happening when they use the firewall and on certain servers."

Disabling the XP firewall seems to have ended the problem for me.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Ok, i been reading these posts about the "[10053] Software caused connection abort" problem

all i want to say is that i get the same error, i run winxp pro and mirc V6.03, i never had any problems with any other version of mirc or windows installed on my computer, come to think of it, i never had this problem when i had windows me and mirc V6.03 installed.

It seems to me that its actually a "breathe in" windows xp pro problem "breathe out" that micro$oft need to fix and not an issue with mirc (correct me if im wrong)

I have disabled windows xp firewall (who knows what ports micro$oft have secretly left opened) and so i use a different software firewall, which has never given me any problems, with any other windows OS installed or mirc versions.

ShadowDemon

ps: i havent had the error much these past few months, i think i`ve had the error a total of 4 times and i just get on with my life afterwards

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
W
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
W
The only time I ever get/got this error was when I was using a dial-up connection, and someone picked up the phone, or if I closed/disconnected with the dial-up connect dialog BEFORE disconnecting from the server in mIRC, I assumed that this (connect dialog) was the software that d/c me. hope this sheds some light on your situation. This went or any/all OS's, mIRC versions, servers, networks, or scripts, that I might have been using/trying/testing. now I'm on cable and have never seen the error since. Cheers!

W
whiskey Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
W
ok, I've read all the replies and nothing is helping me troubleshoot this problem.
I didnt give much in way of specifics in my first post but I will now.

win2k pro w/sp3
Intel P3 933mhz
392mb pc150 sdram
7200 rpm 45gb ibm hd
gf2 ti 64mb
linkys 10/100 nic
sblive platinum
linksys 4 port router
charterpipline 768/128 "silver" cablemodem service

I'm still getting * [10053] Software caused connection abort errors dozens of times per day.
More often than not it wont even attempt to reconnect.
As I said before, I have icq, usenet (bnr) and ftp (flashfxp) up and downloads going 24/7.
NOTHING else is dropping connection but mirc.
I've started running xchat irc client and its doesnt drop.

What gives gurus?

cheers,
whiskey

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
is it possible...that your cable provider is disconnecting you? because i have cox digital internet and everyday at least once they disconnect my services for 10 minutes to an hour I have calle on the matter an they say that they are upgrading their systems..and when im on IRC i get that message sometimes ill get it with Kazaa but could it be possible that your provider may be upgrading? Its just a thought...

J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
I have been reading these messages for over an hour now, trying to find the solution to the problem you are talking about. The reason I spent so much time doing so is because I have the same problem. The answer to the problem IS NOT IN THE ANSWER YOU *PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO KNOW* ARE TELLING YOU. The answer is they dont know. Because I have looked and looked, and there is a lame little description of what the disconnect 10053 Software caused connection abort. And it tells you nothing about how to fix it, nothing about what it is, and nothing about why it is happening. This message board is useless if you people are going to keep sending people to some stupid little 2 line analogy for what is happening. If you dont know, just say that. Dont send me to that same damn page again, please.

Here is a rundown on what I have found:

I have having the disconnect problem randomly but also everytime I DCC send someone (or chat for that matter). This only happens on 1 network. Why just 1? I can send on Efnet, but not Dalnet. I used Ethereal to look into what was being transmitted from my computer and found that a ping was being sent (with the initial ctcp) that was aimed at IP 172.16.0.1 - A local, non-existant IP address. All the settings I have in mIRC are correct. I have checked them, and they are correct. I have also started a blank mIRC client, with no additional scripts, and had the same issue.

I have DSL, with a 2-wire Router (Latest Firmware) - Also, have tried with DMZ, all ports, and with just specific open.
P4-2.66mhz - Win XP Pro.

This is not my ISP. This has worked before, but only suddenly started happening to me. Please someone give out some valuable information. Don't tell me to click here to read about a phone call. Please. If the problem is listed WITH A SOLUTION then, let me know where to look please.

Discouraged & Humored by MessageBoard

<insert my nickname here> <--- DO IT! confused

I urge anyone who is as discourraged as I am to respond to show how pointless these replies are.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Well ok heres something useful.....get ready write it down
you said and i quote:

Quote:
I have having the disconnect problem randomly but also everytime I DCC send someone (or chat for that matter). This only happens on 1 network. Why just 1? I can send on Efnet, but not Dalnet.

Now i'm assuming that you know what the deal is with DALnet....Now onto the other part...

I dont know if you know this or not but some of those little 2 liners do contain useful information depending on whats being posted....and as far as this thread goes we here are trying to give out suggestions of any possible causes that the original poster has posted...If you have any suggestions that are right on the money on this problem and are helpful why not just share it rather than bitch about how people are giving out useless information....

Anyways this is just a suggestion rather than a smartass reply...

J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
Well at least I got a reply. Yes I am very aware of Dalnets issues. There are plenty of other people I know on dalnet who have no problem like this. So it is a stretch for me to assume it is them. I know they are getting attacked, but this really (and even you should agree) shouldnt even matter. The fact that it happens on random servers is normal for this problem, but a DCC has only the slighest bit of conversation with the server. Doing more tracking in Ethereal (an excellent Packet Tracker) I have found that it is sending the send file message to the wrong ip address. Now, a real one it seems 66.12.202.2, however this is not the IP or the DNS IP or the WHOIS IP of the person I was sending to. The IP has no relation as far as I have been able to tell.

I appreciate your response, and I am sure the '2 liners' do help with some problems, but about 30 threads sent me there to read - Johnny picks up the phone, Nobody's there! Opps dial-tone. Well I can just figure how a disconnect works.

Thanks for you Help - I am a loyal mIRC user.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ever thought that maybe ur trying to send a file that thye server is blocking??? ...... i know its a stretch but hey i dont know what else to say if u can dcc in one network but not another ..... the only logical solution is the server is blocking u in some way ........ also if your pc is only resolving an ip to a local port on ur machine to send thru then uve got a dns issue ...... how are u set to resolve stuff thru???? another possible scenario ..... i dont have a right on target for ur question but those are the best suggestions or ideas i can think of

D3m0nnet.com
J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
I appreciate the help, any I can get. Umm, no the file isnt blocked, I have tried several types, mp3, avi, txt. Also, DNS. This is what I figure would be the problem. I have no special settings for DNS. Windows has them set to auto detect, and mIRC has always done fine. When in IRC, both the settings for local computer (settings/local?) match the resolved host the servers are recieving. So basically my whole host is shown, and my IP can be resolved. I also have opened ports 1050-1100 on my router for DCC sends, and set them in the DCC settings. Port 59 for DNS, and 113 for Ident are also open. I know of a DNS Server I can use, however using autodetect has never caused problems before. It appears that IRC successfully determines my IP and theirs, however it sends from my correct IP to their INCORRECT IP.

Thanks.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The reason that you have been sent half way around these boards is because as you say, people don't know the answer to the question. That's because there is no single correct answer to it. There were similar posts on the old board, some people attributed it to XP (like myself, I only EVER saw that disconnect message when I used XP, and now I'm back on WinMe and haven't seen it since), others attributed it to routers, etc etc. The point is, when people are trying to help, they are going from their own experiences with this problem. All you can do is solve it by trial and error. Yes, a lot of people who post on these boards are mIRC experts - but nobody can be expected to know the answer to a problem that may or may not be a mIRC bug.

Last edited by Poppy; 24/01/03 05:56 PM.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
I have the same problem, but only when I'm running something CPU intensive on the foreground. It is definitely a mIRC problem, possibly in co-operation with a new WinXP 'feature' smile

Personally what I think is happening is that mIRC is using an idle priority thread to maintain it's connection to the server (like responding to the pings with pongs) and that the thread is being 'starved'.

The odd thing is that it doesn't ALWAYS happen. Usually I can play my game fine and stay connected, but sometimes it has a bad day and I hear disconnect/connect dings every 5 minutes while playing. Usually it fixes itself if I just restart mIRC, but it's still annoying.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard