Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57247 24/10/03 08:55 PM
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
Okay, I Have Used Resource Hacker To Change Original mIRC Icons To My Own Icons, Now, I Am A Guide On This Server, And I Was Planning On Giving This To Other Guides On The Server, But I Relized That mIRC Is Like A Trade Mark, Copy Right, ect.. And I Can't Release It! But I Really Need To Release it, So Here Is The Question....

If I Put The Original mIRC Somewhere In The mIRC Directory, Can I Release It Then? With Original mIRC Icons? Thanks Josh

#57248 24/10/03 09:12 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
you can do all the thing you want to do until you get caught

#57249 24/10/03 09:15 PM
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
I Just Need The Dude Who Made mIRC's Concent To Do This, I Have The Original Copy Of mIRC With His Original Icons, I Just Need To Know If I Can Upload The Zip File For mIRC That I Have Edited, And Have Users Download It (By The Way, This Is mIRC 6.03)

#57250 24/10/03 09:28 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
as i said, you can do all the thing you want to do until you get caught.
same goes to users that download that mirc you edited, this warning does not affect only you, but all the users that use illegal / edited mirc, imagine it like this:

you stoled a red ferrary, you erased serial number and repainted it to yellow color and you drive it and sometimes your friends does.

so it is stoled, it is edited and ANYONE who USES it is doing ILLEGAL buisness !

#57251 24/10/03 09:37 PM
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Isn't It A Bit Lame To Just Chagne The Icons On A Program And Call It Your Own ? Think About It: How 1337 Do You Realy Think It Is ? crazy

Johan_NL smile

#57252 24/10/03 09:43 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
- itz not lame to change a program appearance to fit your own desires

- he did not said he will say it is his own

- 1 stands for "i" not "l"

#57253 25/10/03 12:14 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Please Stop Typing Like This.

new username: tidy_trax
#57254 25/10/03 01:40 AM
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
Okay, all I want is some icons of my own in it... mIRC Is NOT a program I Made, *I* Am not saying its ***MINE**** I never said I would, The Dude Who Made The Program gets FULL CREDIT! Its Written In My CREDITS That Is OPENED ON START UP! You Like To Assume Things That Aren't True At All! I Have some mIRC Orginal Icons Still On It, Just Some Are Changed (Such As The Main One, When You Double Click The Icon To Open mIRC)

Now, Does It Make It Illegal After I said All That (I DOOO Have mIRC With Original Icons In The One I Edited! It Sits Right Next To The Edited One!)

#57255 25/10/03 01:43 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You can't, this goes against the license whether you include the original .exe or not.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#57256 25/10/03 04:22 AM
P
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
He could give it to people, provided he's not saying he made mirc or anything like that, same goes for anyone who made scripts and such for mirc and distributed them over the net for everyone, its a way of free advertising and in a way makes much better versions than the regular one which you could download here.

#57257 25/10/03 04:39 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It doesn't matter if you're going to give Khaled his deserved credits. Yes, you can distribute scripts. However, you can't distribute the .exe file - you must direct people to www.mirc.com to download it. Of course you can't distribute a modified version either. This is also clearly stated at Khaled's FAQ:

Question: Can I create a custom version of the mIRC distribution files, or distribute mIRC as part of my script?
Answer: Sorry, this is not permitted by the distribution license.

If you are creating a script, you must distribute your script as a separate file, and ask users to visit the mIRC website to download mIRC if they don't already have it installed.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#57258 25/10/03 10:53 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
What part of the licence agreement you agreed to when you started to use mIRC do you not understand? Please read this part carefully; "mIRC may only be distributed as the original distribution install file as distributed by mIRC Co. Ltd. The mIRC distribution install file may not be distributed as a part of any package, and may not have files added to it or removed from it, and none of its contents may be modified, decompiled, or reverse engineered."

mIRC may only be distributed as the original distribution install file.... This means you're not allowed to distribute mIRC in any other way. On top you're not allowed to add this install file to any other package (like another installer or zip file) and you may not add parts to it. And even more; you're not even allowed to modify mIRC at all. Your credits, or whatever, don't matter at all.

In your very first posting in this thread you were exactly right when you said "But I Relized That mIRC Is Like A Trade Mark, Copy Right, ect.. And I Can't Release It!". Exactly! Period. Well said. End of discussion ;-)

Ok, that said, do you know it is easy to change mIRC's toolbar buttons without doing anything illegal?! You can make mIRC load your own bitmap with buttons instead of the default buttons. And of course you can distribute this bitmap to anybody you like.

I placed an old default toolbar on http://www.mirc.co.uk/help/default-toolbar.bmp. When you use this one things get a little odd, but you'll get the idea. I'm sure somebody else can provide us with a better, newer, or nicer one. Ok, download that file and in mIRC go to the toolbar and right of the 'About' button, click with your right-mouse-button and select the 'buttons' option. There select the bitmap you downloaded and see what happens. Have fun!

#57259 25/10/03 10:58 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Nonsense Piccolo. He's not allowed to give it to people. Not even if he tells people he didnt make mIRC.

Yes, people who made a script can distribute that script, but not with (parts of) mIRC included. Wether that is free advertising (as if we ever advertise ;-) or if they made a better version doesn't matter at all.

#57260 25/10/03 11:13 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC can only be distributed in its original form, it's really that simple.

If you want your Guides to use any of your scripts or other resources, they first must download and install a clean vanilla copy of mIRC from www.mirc.com. Then they can install or apply whatever addons they like, provided mIRC is not distributed with them.

The simple key to legality is: do not distribute mIRC in any way shape or form besides mirc612.exe exactly as it is found on www.mirc.com. mirc.exe may not be modifed or repackaged or distributed outside of its original cabinet installer. This is to ensure the lasting integrity of mIRC, and not that there are some 500 mods floating around out there confusing everyone (including virus scanners).

What individuals knowingly and manually do to the files already on their own harddrive is a different story, and subject to different local laws. As long as those files never leave their harddrive.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#57261 25/10/03 01:47 PM
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
Okay, then you better go look at some places that put things up for download with mirc in the zip files, I won't distrubute this script at all, Thanks all, Bye

#57262 25/10/03 03:42 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
there are plenty of scripts that distribute mirc and i can almost safly bet nothing has been done about it. i say go ahead and distribute the script w/ mirc.exe

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
#57263 25/10/03 09:45 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Did you just completely ignore what Krejt and Racoon posted? Why are you advising people to break the law and the mIRC distribution license on the mIRC message boards, after one of the message board administrators/mIRC client contributors just stated quite clearly that people are NOT allowed to do this and backed it up with quotes from various areas of the mIRC website?

The fact that some other lamers have decided to do this, and the fact that, probably due to constraints related to resources and time, mIRC Co Ltd. haven't taken legal action against those sources, does not give you a reason to tell people to break the law.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#57264 25/10/03 10:06 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
if some ppl can change internal code of mIRC then i would not call them lamers, lamers are ppl who are stupid and childish,
i would call them crackers

#57265 25/10/03 10:57 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I wasn't calling people who change mIRC code lamers, I was calling people who illegally redistribute mIRC.exe files in their scripts etc as lamers smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#57266 25/10/03 10:59 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
its too much work to say "here go download this program and install it" and then if theres an updateed version then what? some things may not work right.

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard