mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#5722 09/01/03 09:34 PM
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
i know the title does not totally explain what i mean here, lol...

i was just wondering if maybe mirc could have a version of it that would run like remote events and stuff. maybe use dialogs, but be configurable with something like mirc.cfg -- thus made for those who make bots with mirc, and do not need the GUI of mirc, or many of the local features... just be a blank version of mirc, with nothing in it accept the ability to run scripts written for mirc.

i dont know how hard it would be, but i think getting rid of the GUI and all the local commands would speed it up a bit.

just a thought, i do not feel extremely strong about this, as we can do plenty with the version given to us.

#5723 10/01/03 04:57 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Is the speed that important? I never really had any speed issues running a mIRC bot myself.

#5724 10/01/03 05:04 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It wouldn't speed it up. mIRC issues commands well in advance of the GUI reacting to it. So it is already quite fast. I have a mIRC bot that can /sajoin and /samode +o in 10 rooms in under 1/8 of a second yet the GUI takes about 4 seconds to catch up.

#5725 10/01/03 02:59 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If you've gotten to the point that your bot is so complex/large/heavily used that mIRC can't sustain it, you should consider using a 'proper' scripting/programming language to create your bot, which would ultimately be faster and more stable.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#5726 11/01/03 12:58 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If speed is a serious issue for you, then mIRC scripting is definately not the way to go. I would suggest you either get an eggdrop and learn tcl, learn perl and write the bot in perl, or even better write the bot in a compiled language, i.e. C, C++, C#, Java, etc. mIRCScripting is (imho) very slow, anything I've ever compared it to is much faster.

#5727 12/01/03 10:03 AM
P
psy Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
P
If you're thinking about writing a bot and finding the gui too slow, then maybe write it entirely using scripting/ports. That way you still get your mirc language but dont have the worry about screens drawing/updating, etc.

#5728 15/01/03 06:59 AM
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
sorry i was not clear the first time i posted this....

but i have no idea why i went on about the speed like that, lol. speed on the personal computer is usually several fractions of that of network lag, so the local speed is actually quite irelevant.

what i MEANT to say was so that it can handle being in more channels simultaniously and so forth.

i just figured it would be a good idea, if it was easy to do... if not, i guess i'll just suffer, lol.

is there a way to get around this maybe?... i have found that if you scroll channels off the bottom of the screen, mirc will crash without warning or error, i think when you get to be 2 or 3 channels off? i'm not sure... ah, anyways, thats what i was really wantin to know, lol.

maybe an option with the channels similar to the one you have available for pm system (put all pm's into the same window).

just a thought or 5. now that i've been more clear, maybe u all will better understand what i am trying to accomplish, lol.

tnx

Link Copied to Clipboard