#57071 25/10/03 07:29 PM
S
sulai Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Where did this suggestion come from? Nowhere.

This is called Innovation. cool

Anyway, if my suggestion was realized there is no disadvantage for people who don't like this autocomplete idea. No more RAM is needed and there is no performance lost if you don't use this feature. So what is the bad thing about it?

However, it's really a very small feature. It's faster coded than discussed here wink What about a open source IRC Project?

#57072 26/10/03 03:12 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Anyway, if my suggestion was realized there is no disadvantage for people who don't like this autocomplete idea. No more RAM is needed and there is no performance lost if you don't use this feature. So what is the bad thing about it?

But that would mean it's like what ctrl+f does, just search for the given string in the window buffer, right? Question is, wouldn't this feature catch not only what people said, but also script and mIRC-related messages, unless some extra processing was done? That could be an irritating inconsistency IMHO.. imagine catching "joins:" everytime, or anything like that. The possibilities are infinite, because you can make mIRC echo anything it's told to.
My main point is: given these situations, I don't think that would help as much as you're saying it would. That said, since it's all about laziness (I know, I'm lazy too), wouldn't be better just to ctrl+f and copy what you want, or just type it anyway?

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#57073 26/10/03 10:54 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
posting guideline suggestions:

this sticky thread

General Thread Comment:
Anyone can make a suggestion, and anyone else can give their opinion on that suggestion (politely of course). If your suggestion isnt agreed with, thats called discussion, dont take it personally. Never know when another viewpoint may cause a rethink.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#57074 26/10/03 11:31 PM
S
sulai Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well it doesn't help more than the autocomplete function for the nicknames does now. But I use this function quite often and in my opinion it's a nice thing if it would also work with the words written recently in the chat window. I would rather write them out than copy them (although it's quite easy to copy in mIRC). But I would rather press tab than write them out if this function existed.

But I admit, the english language has mostly small words. My mother tongue german has a lot of longer words like "Empfangsdame" oder "Lokomotivführer". So it would be much easier to type "emp[tab]" or "lok[tab]", after the words have been mentioned by somebody else.

Your suggestion to press ctrl+f didn't correspond to my idea. Technically ctrl+f does the same, but I just said this to point out that the autocomplete function is very fast. The autocomplete function has to scan backwards to get most recent words first.

Script and IRC related messages are also processed, and I don't think this is a problem. You can cycle through the words when pressing tab again, so if you get the wrong one, press it again and you get the next one.

Like I said, it's a small feature. Just an extension of the autocomplete for nicknames... I must be crazy to discuss about it like this grin

#57075 26/10/03 11:39 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
My point was, if it's going to catch all unrelated words (something the nickname completion doesn't do), either using tab or not, sorry I don't think it's fast.
Anyway..

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#57076 27/10/03 12:37 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
It has been suggested before on this forum, but I think it is better suited than the method you're suggesting.

I think that if mIRC were obtain an auto completes feature, it should be done in the way that your web-browser auto completes as you type in URL's and only then words that YOU have typed previously. OpenOffice does it this way, and it honestly does speed things up smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard