mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#56384 20/10/03 10:23 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Right now, mIRC does not yet support Unicode (although Khaled has apparently said he plans to add support someday). But for those who were worried this would change the default mirc font (as I read in an old thread), I'd like to share what I've been working on for the last few months, a Unicode version of Fixedsys:

http://www.fixedsys.org/

The download also includes the a version of Fixedsys that is not Unicode but does contain some of the missing Extended ASCII characters in Fixedsys, which is more useful until Unicode support does show up.

-Darien

#56385 21/10/03 04:04 AM
M
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
M
Just wondering, what program did you use to make this font? Previously I've tried a bunch of different apps when trying to repair/edit stupid things in certain fonts, but most have turned out to be woefully unusable. Do you have any recommendations?

#56386 21/10/03 04:07 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I used Fontographer originally but switched over to FontLab someway through; Fontographer is very old and didn't allow me to specify as much information about how the font should be rendered.

Oddly, FontLab can't handle an enormous character set (at least not unless you go out of your way), and that is presumably for the sole reason that the software manufacturer wants you to buy their Asia Font Studio for making larger fonts.

#56387 21/10/03 03:57 PM
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
There's a little glitch in both versions, unknown characters (like control codes) show up as a space instead of a box like in regular Fixedsys

#56388 21/10/03 04:02 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It's not a glitch, just a consequence. The box you saw in the original Fixedsys (along with any euro sign, bullet, or TM sign) was actually not part of Fixedsys. That was your OS substituting. If you feel it important, I can place box glyphs at the control code codepoints in the main 256, but I'm not going to put rectangles at every (so far) unused codepoint available smile

Let me know if I should add them.

-Darien

#56389 21/10/03 05:08 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Alright, I decided to add the rectangles in at control codes 7F through 9F, although (in keeping with the original font) I've put duplicate glyphs of the open and close single quotes at PU1 and PU2 (91 and 92).

I'll probably make this version available some time later this week (I've also added the Gothic alphabet since version 1.0 was released).

Link Copied to Clipboard