Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I don't think that would be legal since AOL tried to banish WASTE from their servers and encouraged all users to delete all copies of it. At least, that's the last I heard...

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
mirc is NOT a filesharing medium. it is more or less an irc chat client that happens to have dcc ability. if u want to use a program meant for file sharing then by all means try kazaa or whatever else is out there. please oh please khaled dont add this useless stuff to mirc

D3m0nnet.com
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:

please oh please khaled dont add this useless stuff to mirc

If it's useless for you, then it shouldent be added? it's many users that using mirc.. and cos of that 1 dont like somthing it shouldent be added? i dont think that W.A.S.T.E belong in mirc.. but im only one of the tousends that use mirc every day.. same for you, and i think that we all should let that to Khaled, if he want to add somthing and you dont like it.. then dont use it.. we are free to leav suggestions here, and if you dont like them, then to bad dont dis ppl cos of it.. I dont like many things added to mirc "som stuff that have to do with scripting".. but thats me, and i guess some ppl using it in there script.. but i try to figure out other ways then to use stuff i dont like..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
if mirc were to turn into a primarily file sharing medium i would infact leave and never use it. i use mirc for one main reason CHATTING yes i may modify its appearance to my tasre create lile extra things it does for me and such but if i wanted a program top use for downloading illegal software id get kazaa or something of the like. the mear title of this program should infact tell ppl its main intent mIRC notice the lil m and the BIG IRC. that should pretty much say it all. if someones too ignorant to figure that one out they dont even deserve to use a computer.

D3m0nnet.com
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
you are one out of tousends of ppl.. and i dont think it bother Khaled to much if you stoped use mirc cos of somthing he added.. and still, dont dis ppl, they must be able to give there suggestions here, if they arent then why do this part in the forum exist? every one like/dislike difrent things..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
WASTE is not a filesharing tool, though you can tranfer files, like in mirc as well.
You can make a plugin to get not conflicts with AOL. Use only the method, not the code ;-) etc.
WASTE is mainly an instant messenger, but you need as well a server for the first contact. With irc you get those ip adresses to bootstrap.
The good add thing is, that you can create chatrooms,
so take some people out of the channel and chat with 5 people at the same time.

This is a serious feature WASTE offers to mirc.

G
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
G
so there are some channels with people, this are the chatrooms.
And then you need a buddylist.
Dunno if mirc is offering this, because the users can change theier nic and there is no row or tab or windwo, whre you can add a buddy and where it is indicated, that there is your buddy online.

THIS is the thing mirc needs. Of COURSE needs mirc development, the whole Instant messenger market is boosting.

We need a Instant messenger Function in Mirc.

So would be nice to use waste to ask users in mirc for thier waste key and you can add them to the buddylist tab window.

You can connect to them, if the mirc-server is showing the IP of them is online.

But do not make it wiht a new programming because it has to be like the waste method: it is decentral, uses the mirc servers onyl for bootstraooing and finding the ip adress of the buddy and then itis a priovate chat from ip to ip without an intermediate server.

this is a chatfeature mirc should add.

Then in 10 years, if the buddies are stabel, you can add telephony or videochats to them.

Direct from ip to ip, without intermediate pay.

see www.skype.com

The market development is much quicker than mirc.

so the step into a buddylist feature like waste offers is needed for mirc.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
(humor intended) am I the only one who thought the line "add waste to mirc" was funny? smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Nope! grin

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Quote:

No, we don't. If you want IM functionality, use an IM client. IRC and IM are very different things.

IRC was never designed to have 'buddylists', graphical animated smilies and the most irritating font colouring techniques imaginable just as IM was not designed to have channels and operators and kicking and banning of users by other users.

What you are proposing is, in fact, to take one product, totally mutate it from its original purpose and design into something else which was originally designed as a replacement for the product you wish to mutate in the first place. Don't you see anything wrong with that?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Nope grin

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

/join #mychannel
/mode #mychannel +is
/invite myfriend #mychannel

Instant Messenger! grin

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
haha nope

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Quote:
WASTE is not a filesharing tool, though you can tranfer files, like in mirc as well.

No reason yet to add it then.

Quote:
You can make a plugin to get not conflicts with AOL.

Why should programs have to adapt because the morons at AOL screw everything up. You know how many websites I've seen that have a line goin "and if you're on AOL, you gotta do something totally different" ? If there's a problem, it's because of AOL, and it's their job to fix.

Quote:
WASTE is mainly an instant messenger

And why would mIRC need an IM? You already have ICQ and AIM, and MSN (messenger, not chat) for that. If it's just for sending private messages to users - that's why mIRC has the /msg command, the /query command and the /notice command. On DALnet, you can even send messages to offline users by using MemoServ.

Quote:
but you need as well a server for the first contact.

So then what's exactly different?

Quote:
The good add thing is, that you can create chatrooms

Granted - mIRC cannot create chatrooms. But mIRC connects to IRC which lets you create all the chatrooms you want. So basically you're asking for a functionality that lets you create chatrooms in a IRC program, but those chatrooms are not actually on IRC. Yeah right.

Quote:
so take some people out of the channel and chat with 5 people at the same time.

You can get those 5 ppl to join a separate channel on IRC. Alternatively, you can dump a eggdrop in the channel, and have people connect to it and talk on the partylne. Bit troublesome, especially seeing how easy it is to just set up a new channel.

conclusion: waste of energy to add this.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Nicely said and spot on, imo smile

A
AKO Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
omg you people. Look, mIRC is NOT a file sharing program nor is IRC a file trading medium. IRC was designed to be a highly open chat medium, and for its purpose, it does what it does VERY well.

Surely it has advanced in the past few years, but at heart it is meant for chat. If you think you could compare IRC to any ways of getting pirated software like a file sharing medium, you need to grow up and see what IRC is for.

Yes, there are people out there who use functions provided by IRC to transmit files, but it's just a chat medium.

IRC was not meant to have 'buddy lists' or anything of that sort, as IRC is an open and very widespread medium. You can setup IRC servers for anything, there's no central 'service' to it. Therefore, unless all of your friends connect to the same server, you won't be seeing them 'online'.

However, I will let you know of the wonderful /notify function of mIRC, and you're welcome to build off of that into a dialog script to make your own 'buddy list'.

C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Its my personal belief that mirc DOES need to start taking on the IM market a little.
No IM clients have a scripting language, like mirc does.
Instead, they offer smile and frown, whcih are hardly substitutes.
No larger companies have been able to make a go of IRC, instead preferring to create internal standards and internal clients, leading to fragmentation (the fact you have to have MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, plus all sorts of others...)
I think that finding new uses for the IRC protocol is a good step.
Perhaps this should be scripted, and scripted well, to see what kind of market exists for mirc+IM integration.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i think IM in mirc would be the death of mirc.. if u want im use an IM client if u want irc use an irc client.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Most of this is aimed at scripters, rather than the mirc development team.

Look at trillian... it is pretty well known just because it took a wild step and INTEGRATED multiple services.

mirc would need a lot of redesign if it were to take on IM. Most would be adding basic funcationality in areas like User Profiles (Address Book overhauls, see my feature suggestions here), plus extensions to DCC to incorp. voice messages and so forth. Before you flame, it's not very hard to record input as a .wav (ICQ style) and dcc send a file back and forth, nor is it very hard to stream it as it happens.
Other IM style features that I'd like to see is teh ability to trade 'contacts'; if you could swap address book info about a person, or notify lists, or -anything-. imagine some of the things thast could be done.
Scripts would be better at anti-spam stuff, by being able to transfer spam hostmasks between clients. A ripple like effect would go through the first X amount of ops/channels, and spammers would be auto shitlisted. (you timestamp it so if its more than 5 minutes old you discard it)
People would be able to find out information about someone BEFORE talking to them - if your best friend hates person X, you won't talk to them, but if they seem nice (or your friend's address book entries say that) you'll communicate.
I can't think of a third one so um yea
But there's a lot you could do if you merged the scripting language behind mirc with a flawless interface to other protocols.
IRC is about meeting people, IMing is about talking to the boring ones you already know.
Change the focus of mIRC from IRC client to communication client!
Script developers, go out and learn other better more structured languages apart from mirc script, then start bringing the habits and ideas back to mirc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard