mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#55465 17/10/03 02:46 PM
_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
See this thread for the old 6.1 bug thread.

/write is Still broken in v6.12 even though Khaled knew about this problem. Why wasn't it fixed?

Code:
alias test {
  var %x = 1
  while (%x != $null) { 
    write -l1 test.txt bugtest %x
    inc %x
  }
}

Let that run for like 10-12 mins or so... You will see that after like 32,767 /write's you will get an error:
"* /write: unable to open file (line 387, script7.ini)"

After this you can never /write properly again without restarting mirc. (/write alone works, but you can't use /write with any switches.)

I think that 32,767 writes may include logging etc.. also because after the 32,767 writes is reached, you couldn't save scripts in remote editor, when you did, it wrote to the script twice, appending the script to the bottem of the script (see bottom of last thread...... last time at least this was so, i didn't check the remote editor bit this time).

Since the bug is still in v6.12, i'll assume it is in 6.11 too, it is in 6.1, and isn't in 6.03... which now is unusable thanks to the exploit :\ (it'd be nice if the older v6 versions were patched too, for those who prefer the older ones!)

Any plans of fixing this?

#55466 17/10/03 10:00 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I know this is a bug which should be fixed, but /write opens, writes and closes a files everytime you call it. If you're handling with files many times, shouldn't you use the file handling commands (/fopen, /fwrite etc.) instead? AFAIK, they'd be great for "heavy" processing with files, opening and closing them only once.

Last edited by cold; 17/10/03 10:04 PM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
#55467 18/10/03 12:36 AM
_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
Well it's just i use several scripts that do /write's at different times.. not all constantly. One script does alot of writing of log files and settings and other things... other files etc.

It took about a day for those errors to come up. /fwrite doesn't have all the switches that /write has.. I may be wrong on that, I haven't really messed with /fwrite.

But I don't think /fwrite would really be appropritate for the scripts in question. Also for all I know it is possible the bug could be in /fwrite too... hmm i should check for that.

Point is, it is still a bug, since versions of mirc prior to 6.1 had no problems writing away... and these errors keep coming up for me now since i upgraded. Everyone will get the errors eventually..... it's just a matter of time!

Link Copied to Clipboard