mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#55436 17/10/03 10:38 AM
P
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
P
I have used 6.02 for a long time, and recently swtiched to 6.1 (currently 6.12). About the time I installed 6.1, I installed Windows Media Player 9. I run XP with all current patches. We play a lot of sounds in the channels I'm in, and all mp3s have sounded horrible (high pitch distortions) since I went to 6.1, and mp3s encoded under 128kbps are completely distorted and unintellegible. wavs & mids play fine.

I'm not familiar with how mirc handles sounds, but i've tried playing the mp3s that mirc wont play in Winamp & WMP 9, and it handles them fine, so what exacty is playing mp3s in mIRC, and why isn't it working anymore? does it use its own player? I need to get this fixed frown if somebody could point me where to change the player or file association I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
propcycle, mIRC actually uses windows media player for its internal /splay file.mp3 command. Thats all hard coded in the mirc program, nothing for you to change there. One thing to check out, if you have windows file associations for mp3 type set to open/run in WMP, then it may actually be double playing the song over top itself; once thru mirc use of WMP and once thru windows auto running WMP, if so close the WMP that opens and see if that fixes your "distortion". Otherwise if its just certain files that dont sound right, it could be incompatability between the drivers & codecs used to create those mp3 and the ones used in the windows routine mirc uses to play thru WMP. make sure you have the latest WMP updates installed and updated sound sys drivers.Also use the search feature in these boards, this subject has been discussed before, its not new to 6.12. My mp3 sound just right thru mirc, with 6.12 and winXP.

P
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
P
thanks for the reply.. I did search around but didn't find anything that helped out, and I had covered all the bases before I posted it seems. All my drivers & WMP is current (as of 2 hours before my previous post). I'm not having any issues with a sound double playing, its just playing "hidden" like it should, not opening a physical WMP or another process. If it was opening up a WMP that would be a little obvious, I could have figured that out smile I had no troubles with these same sounds when I was using 6.03. as I said previously, these sounds play perfectly in WMP 9 (& winamp) when not called thorugh mIRC, so this is really quite confusing. My file associations have not changed between my jump from .03 to .12. (mp3s are associated with winamp) The only thing that did change was I went from WMP 8 to WMP 9. I guess I'm gonna have to go back to 8 and see if that fixes anything. but seeing as the sounds play fine in WMP 9 standalone just doesnt make me think this is the problem, this is nonsensical.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
The problem you have is because a codec you have installed. Probably an AC3 codec.

The AC3 codec that comes with Nemo codecs pack can cause this problem.

It is infact a problem with Windows/the codec and not with mIRC.

Altough winamp and Windows Media Player can play the mp3 files fine, if you will try to play those files with Mplayer2 (the mplayer2.exe is located at the same directory of WMP), you will hear the high pitch sound.

As much as I know, the only thing that can be done is uninstalling the codec that caused the problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard