mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
DaveC Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
I need to call an aliases that exists in a DIFFERENT file while that alias also exists in my file and is infact the calling routine. To greater complicate things this alias is a original command replacment.

So i have in order on the aliases tab...
MYFILE.MRC with a MSG { blah blah }
OTHERSFILE.MRC with a MSG { blah blah }

In my MSG alias i want to call there MSG alias, Well actually i just want it do a MSG, but !MSG wont be trapped by there MSG alias, and as I know theres is there i could call it directly if i knew how.
I can not intergrate the files or aliases together as theres is part of a much larger script and may change at anytime.

Is there an option like //call(othersfile.mrc,msg blah blah)

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
If you call an alias, mIRC will first see if such an alias is defined in your remotes/aliases. It doesn't matter which file. If you have a alias called /mytemp in every remote file you have, then only the one defined in the first file will be used. So if you have the alias defined only once, it will be executed when called no matter from where it's called.
If that's exactly the problem (defined several aliases in different files), then I'd suggest changing it - it's very bad practice to create several different commands by the same name.
Personally, I also strongly object to the creating of an alias that uses the same name as a default one. It's not that hard to add an extra letter, and it leaves the default command open for easy use. (and yes, I know you can override custom aliases by using a !)

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
D
DaveC Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Well thanks or lessons 101, but i already knew that i was after specific help for a specific problem.

I did not defining several aliases as i said
I can not define a different alias name as i need to parse MSG's releasing those uneffected for normal processing , normal processing in this case happens to originally pass through another parser.

The objections to use of a default command being used as an alias, while valid if you are just making up commands, isnt if the exact purpose of the alias is to parse the command data.

You also got some details wrong in what u told me
Mirc checks aliases then remotes for command names.
Aliases cant be called for within themselfs.
And not directly said by you, but ! is not needed to call the original command from with in the alias of that command

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I have NO idea if this is even valid, but I figured to pose it up. Can you do a $read (or something) of somekind to perform a command from the other file at all?

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
D
DaveC Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
>I have NO idea if this is even valid, but I figured to pose it up.
>Can you do a $read (or something) of somekind to perform a command from the other file at all?

Thanks thats an idea, it wont work quite how you said, but i have an idea for how to do it from it, Ill read there file and create a alias based on there alias, at the bottom of my file, well have to maybe reload my file to update the file to memory, but that should be ok, well with luck! Then i just call my newly created alias from mine, and it well parse identicly to what it used to.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
glad to be of help if even in a minor way smile After all, aint that why people come here?

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it

Link Copied to Clipboard