mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
Firstly, I should say that I *have* a registered copy of mIRC, but I used the trial version for a *lot* longer than thirty days.

I've been encouraging all of my friends to upgrade in light of the recent security problems, and they all tell me the same thing: they don't want to have to register and don't want to have to reinstall after thirty days. I know that the trial license has always expired after a thirty day use period, but the program was always usable after this time. Is this no longer true?

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Note: A quick search of this message board would have probably revealed this answer to you already.

mIRC is not crippleware. But, that shouldn't stop you from registering if you choose to use mIRC beyond thirty days.

-chris

L
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
L
*sigh*

I did search, but I suppose I didn't know *what* I was searching for. Thank-you for replying.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
when you use the search feature, to get the best results set it to "all forums" and expand the date range. sometimes you need to try a few diff search terms, in this case "register" should turn up several

Please remind your friends that the registration fee is a one time only thing, and is good for all future releases

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
its awfully funny that this vulnerabilty was found just a day before the new mirc came out and now you have to pay for it...COINCIDENCE...I THINK NOT. MORE LIKE FRAUD.

Babel fish
Babel fish
Okay, the new version came out a day later because of the SEVERITY of this new flaw. The only reason the new version was released was totally based on the fix for the DCC flaw. Coincidence? Hardly. As for paying for it, you've ALWAYS had to pay for mIRC since early 4.x versions.

-Zmodem
S
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
S
That sounds like a great cover up to me. Im sure that was planned out to be the excuse for the months before the new version came out. You had plenty of time to think about it from v6.0 to v6.12, Make your millions I dont care I use bX. I joined here purely to let people know that it is a great possibility that my opinion is quite possibly truth. And they should be aware.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
mIRC has *always* been shareware (well, since I started using it years ago, lol), it's just a little more, erm, assertive about telling you now.

The fact that so many people did not previously realise that mIRC was shareware shows that Khaled was correct to make it more obvious, imho.

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I doubt it. You're saying that the exploit was willfully placed within mIRC approximately 2 years ago so that hew could then force people to pay (and it still doesn't force you)? Then what, Khaled released the exploit to the public? Seems rather conspiracy theory to me. But anyway, if you don't like mIRC, don't use it. There are plenty of other clients out there...

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Maybe such possibility exists in your world, but to me it's just that you didn't notice mIRC has been s h a r e w a r e for a l o n g time ago. And I doubt you use bX for these exact reasons since then, because it seems your attitude is not there since then. No point at all, concluding.

Last edited by cold; 16/10/03 05:11 PM.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
Khaled has every right to cripple the program or enforce registration after the 30 day trial period. He wrote it, and he _requires_ it be registered if you use it for more than 30 days.

Conspiracy?

The bug has existed since version 6.01, which was released in early 2002. The bug was discovered not long after by a small group of people (I being the unfortunate recipient of an early demonstration, which I thought nothing of at the time) and was somehow kept relatively secret for almost two years.

For you conspiracy theorists out there, this is not like the government conspiracies where you have no choice but to pay your taxes and be governed by them. You have a choice. You can use any one of the many free IRC clients available if you don't like mIRC or the way Khaled has chosen to enforce registration for use of his software or if you think he conspired to plant this bug to trick everyone into registering. There are even archive websites from which you can download an older version, such as 5.91, if you like, though that version also _requires_ registration after 30 days.

Last edited by jaban; 17/10/03 12:57 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard