mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#54860 15/10/03 06:39 AM
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Just wondering. Also, own up if you use a crack.

I wonder if I'm the only one alone... I wish I could convince my parents that buying online isn't 'scary' and 'dangerous'. Also, I don't have a credit card, nor do I have any USD... so I need my parents permission...

Will Khaled sue me if I don't register? Since it's violation. I've been wondering for long now.

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Given that Khaled, judging from his own personal bit of this website, seems to be quite a peaceful person, and the fact that mIRC is not "crippleware" I doubt he's going to take legal action. Also, imagine how many people don't register - taking legal action against them all would cost more than it's worth heh.

I haven't registered either - for exactly the same reasons as you. No, I don't use a crack, it doesn't even enter my head to do so. I have been thinking about registering a lot more recently though, so I'm sure I'll find a way smile - The thing is, I don't whine and complain about the dialogue box, I'm prepared to put up with it until I get the money to send to him.

Happy chatting.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Yeah, I'm also interested in registering now since there has been so much hype about it. I might sacrifice my SimCity 4 for it.

trenzterra
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
*grin*

I wonder which is more worthy of additional time in purgatory... being a freeloader and not having the guts to admit it, or being a freeloader and arrogant enough to brag about it? shocked

(This isn't a dig at trenzterra, whose situation is a little difficult and whose problem I understand and sympathise with, but rather a musing on the people likely to reply!)

Me, I registered ages ago - even if I were to change client tomorrow (for whatever reason) I would still consider it to have been a good investment, bearing in mind how much I use it...

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
Of course Khaled will not sue you. I don't think he wants to force anyone to register mIRC (for instance, by making mIRC not work after 30 days). In fact, mIRC would certainly not be as popular as it is and therefore not have as many registered users as it does if Khaled had implemented such a measure.
However, there was a slight change of attitude since v6.1. I'm referring to the new about dialog, the exe checksum, the restrictions regarding the name of the exe. Sure we already had the CTCP version reply restriction, but then there was that comentary in the exe...

Who will trade his karma for my kingdom?
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
If the main problem is how scary and dangerous buying online is, mIRC can also be registered by sending your (parent/friend/uncle's) credit card information by fax! See the mIRC Registration by Fax form.

If that is still tooo scary, mIRC can be registered by postal mail with a cheque or money order.

T
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
T
Ok. I'm not trying to 'educate' my mum about the risks and stuff... She still says shes a little 'afraid'. Also, she thinks you might actually change the policy one day and charge every month. Oh well...

Pity I don't live in the US, if not I could use the fax.

trenzterra
V
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
V
I also haven't registered. I would do it if I could, but just like you and many others, I can't.

I know very well it's a violation, but it doesn't seem to matter much, I started using mIRC at version 6.03, and all that time I haden't even seen the about dialog, it's only since the newer versions I've really become aware that mIRC has to be payed for, especially with that little progressbar which starts flashing after a while which made me afraid I would never be able to use mIRC again unless if I cracked it.
Though even after the 30 days.. mIRC still works.. supprisingly.. so that doesn't really encourage me into really finding a way to get $20 to Khaled. But I think if it would really become impossible to use it then, users would ammass start cracking it.. so no point.. right now there isn't even a reason to crack it.. yeah unless you want other icons or change the version reply.. of which the last one is just sad imo..

Anyway.. aslong as Khaled doesn't think it's needed to force people to do this.. there doesn't seem to be a problem.. I think I'd just stop using mIRC if it were to get that far and head of to find something else, I only use mIRC to help others and script for it anyway.. heh..

but enough of this...

M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M
hello!

i too, had enjoyed IRC for months now, even though i haven't registered it yet. i also have the same reasons, don't have a credit card and can't brag my parents to do the paying... but if registering would be the only way to enjoy it to the fullest, i'll be willing to do that if not sooner, later!

well, let's just cross our fingers, shall we tenzterra? (lol!)

(and, by the way, i'm not using the illegal cracked version, just an unregistered one)

MaLLoWs :tongue:

Link Copied to Clipboard