mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
I know there's FAQ entries saying there aren't really plans for mirc to go open source.
I know it'd put a dent in the current user base, if everyone could download various version of mirc-based clients, but if you maintained the current trust like system for registration and wrote a custom license to release the source under which specified you couldn't collect money for it, or if you did it had to go to khaled.

In a way it'd be good.
It'd stop complainers who don't like switchbar grips.
It'd give the people who don't like 6.1X something else to do.
It'd let us provide patches while staying rooted in something we like.
There's a million reasons on these boards i'm not going to repost.

Okay, I've got my battle helmet on, go ahead and flame me down!

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Good idea. Wish it'd happen. Might see a Linux version then... smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yea lets make it open source, so every single known bug in mirc is exploited to its best..just like linux..

No thanks, i'd prefer itc losed source. Not because im greedy, nor because I don't want to see his work being worked apon, but for security alone. No software is without bugs--we know that, but with open source those bugs are suseptable to everyone locating and exploiting to its fullest.

Currently the way bigs in both mirc and windows alike are found is by trial and error. A user gets an idea, says "Hey, I wonder if..." then experiments. With open source languages like Linux, Unix, etc texploits are found and taken advtange of every day. I've known people who have had to update their linux Kernel 4 times in one week just to stay current with exploits. Now mIRC is nowhere as serious, or is it. Think of the DCC exploit. Users could essencially overflow a buffer, and execute harmful code. This means they essencially could take over ur cpu. What if more of these exist, and its open source..

Think about it. mIRC should remain a closed source, atleast the most used versions. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing v2.x, or 3.x code tho just for sh*s and giggles >:D

-KingTomato
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
In my experience, the reality of bugs in open source software (from now on referred to as OSS) is different from what you would have ppl believe from your post. Whilst the bugs are easier to discover in OSS, they don't tend to be any more numerable than they do in closed source.

Quote:
I've known people who have had to update their linux Kernel 4 times in one week just to stay current with exploits

I've been running Linux on and off for about 1.5 years and in that time I have updated my kernel approx 4 times - usually for better hardware support. Only once have I needed to update my kernel to fix a vulnerability (XFS directory permissions vulnerability). I don't know what issues your friends had but 4 times in 1 week seems a tad excessive to me, for any distro.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at you. I just think the picture you painted was a bit darker than the reality, that's all smile

I say OSS the older versions of mIRC. I highly suspect the risks of vulnerability won't be any greater than it is at present smile

R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
You know, the argument of direction (to refuse a possibility that, by itself, would be positive, sustaing it could have undesirable consequences) is a weak one :tongue:. Your comparison is not also very adequate - mIRC is much smaller than a linux kernel and is also of a different nature. Sure, some exploits could be found, but I don't believe that catrastophic scnenario would come true.

Anyhow, it's not going to happen.

Who will trade his karma for my kingdom?
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Im with CloCkWeRX laugh

i guess just send khaled nice email and see what he will offer for this.

Link Copied to Clipboard