Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#54309 13/10/03 08:52 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Based on the fact that 6.12 was just released I take it that no fix for 6.03 is planned?

#54310 13/10/03 09:18 PM
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
T
Seems that way, as near as I can tell.

Wow, site is slow, must be the influx of users downloading the new version (sorry, off topic, mreh).

#54311 13/10/03 09:29 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
i figure they now want us who dont really enjoy the newest releases to be stuck with the exploit or forced to upgrade hopefully someone ends up making a fix we all can use. i dont even know how the exploit works id like to know so i can possibly write something for myself so im not vulnerable to it. if anyone has any ideas please let me know

D3m0nnet.com
#54312 13/10/03 09:37 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
There was a fix for 6.03, it was called 6.1. Then after that came 6.11 and now 6.12. Ahwell, you know all that...

The boards are slow, not due to pple downloading mIRC, but because it is sending away about a million release announcement e-mails

#54313 13/10/03 09:41 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i was wondering why they were slower than ms.org ;\

new username: tidy_trax
#54314 13/10/03 09:57 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Well if that's the way Khaled is gonna be, then he should be prepared to lose some clients. As I said before, if my choices are stop using DCC, upgrade to 6.1X, or find another client, I think I'm going to find another client. And based on the 10 people so far that have expressed interest in the dll I'm trying to work on to fix the problem and have said "or else I'm gonna find a new client" it seems to me that a lot of users will leave.

If Khaled wants to ignore what his users what, that's his choice, but then he has to be prepared to deal with the results of that decision.

#54315 13/10/03 10:37 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Compared to the thousands of users who have upgraded?

Really, mIRC is not going to lose a particularly large amount of users because of stupid little things that only people who have been using mIRC for quite some time will notice...like the *da da da* "GRIPS" *gasp*.

I'm happy with it...you do have another option which you could add to that list, and that is get used to it like hundreds of thousands of other users and stop whinging every chance you get laugh - it really is, *yawn* getting old.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#54316 13/10/03 11:43 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Basically what you're saying by "get used to it" is "settle for something that isn't worth what it costs." And I'm not about to do that. If Khaled is so stubborn that he refuses to admit that he (like everyone else) makes mistakes and that 6.1 was one such mistake, well then why do I want to pay money to someone who refuses to reason and instead insists he is right and everyone else is wrong? Why does he know what I like better than I do?

And again, I am NOT saying remove things. I'm saying make them optional. You say the grips are no big deal. Fine, good for you, you can use the non-functional toolbar grip all day long for all I care, I don't like it and I don't want it and I'm not going to pay for it. I'm glad you're happy with mIRC, I'm not, and instead of settling I've already found a client that I like more than mIRC. The author of this client (get this) posts messages like "sorry the new version is taking longer than expected" and "here are some features that will be in the new version," you know, someone who actually _cares_ that his users are happy and wants to keep them involved in the development process. And, lets not forget, unlike Khaled who actually makes a decent amount of money from mIRC, this author (due to the fact that his client isn't as popular) doesn't make nearly as much yet he manages to update his client more often than Khaled does even though Khaled doesn't have to worry about having a job as well! And, unlike mIRC when this client has "grips" they actually do stuff! I'm sorry I didn't switch to this client sooner, I've been missing out on a better program for all this time!

#54317 13/10/03 11:52 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
n/m wink

Last edited by r0ck0; 13/10/03 11:57 PM.
#54318 13/10/03 11:55 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
I just downloaded 6.12 to test, and it doesn't do anything for me. I'm not talking about the one on the switchbar, I'm talking about the one on the toolbar.

#54319 13/10/03 11:56 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
for an intelligent person, you complain about the smallest things..
im not sure whether id rather you leave or stay =/

#54320 13/10/03 11:57 PM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
It doesn't matter, now that I'm no longer using mIRC, I have no reason to stay.

Edit:
Oh also lets not forget that Krejt pretty much flat out told me he hates me (a paying customer) and wants me to leave. If I go into a store, and the sales clerk says "I hate you, get the hell out of here" you can be sure I won't be shopping at that store anymore. I don't see why this should be any different.

Last edited by codemastr; 13/10/03 11:59 PM.
#54321 13/10/03 11:59 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Why does he know what I like better than I do?

um .. excuse me? I wasn't aware that Khaled was making mIRC just to suit you ...

Personally, I'll be happy to see you gone (if, in fact you really DO go, since the last time you said you were you backed out claiming people messaged you to stay).

CYA

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#54322 14/10/03 12:03 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
god job on unreal, have a nice life.

#54323 14/10/03 12:09 AM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
um .. excuse me? I wasn't aware that Khaled was making mIRC just to suit you ...

Yup you're right, I'm the _only_ one who complained about 6.1, I must have imagined everyone else including the 5 people who've now messaged me (or posted here) asking what the other client I've switched to is. Yup, it's certainly clear I'm the _only_ one unhappy with mIRC.

Quote:
Personally, I'll be happy to see you gone (if, in fact you really DO go, since the last time you said you were you backed out claiming people messaged you to stay).

Great, then we can both be happy! I can be happy with my new client, and you can be happy never seeing me again! I'll be gone once discussion on this thread stops (or it gets locked/deleted) because I want to be here to give anyone who wants it information about how there are better clients out there (which, as Krejt also said, he wants me (and I guess others?) to use instead of mIRC).

Oh and btw, yes people did msg me asking me to say, but rather than post their nicks here and getting people like you to then start hating them as well, I decided to be nice and keep their names quiet.

#54324 14/10/03 12:24 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
I was one of those people who asked codemastr to stay.

He's a smart guy, knows what he's talking about and I think his opinions are worth taking note of. Ok, sometimes it seems he comes over a little harsh but it's all down to how you interpret posts. And besides, he's only human, just like the rest of us smile

Like you people, codemastr's opinions are valid. Whether or not you agree to them doesn't matter. He is entitled to them and may express them here, provided he abides by the forum rules. It doesn't state anywhere that you may NOT have an opinion that compliments mIRC/Khaled/the operators. So enough of the hairpulling, eh?

#54325 14/10/03 12:33 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
My last comments on this subject:

I hate no one .. just think your ME ME ME and/or ranting about something as trivial as a cosmetic feature (grips comes immediately to mind there) all the time is rather childish and will be glad to see it over.
5 people .. out of how many registered users (and how many UNregistered)? It wouldn't matter if 500 or even 5000.
I'm sure you're gonna make a real difference by choosing another IRC client.

Have a nice life with your new IRC client ...

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
#54326 14/10/03 01:58 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Personally I prefer 6.12, but just to back up codemaster on some points (not all) I have talked in several channels on my network, and (about) 80% of them say they are sticking with 6.03 Many of them do prefer it over 6.1+, and would rather have the patched version of 6.03, then upgrade. I just wanted to add that to show that codemastr really isn't alone with the opinion of 6.03 was the best version yet...

-KingTomato
#54327 14/10/03 02:23 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Honestly, there are so many legit reasons why I'm sticking to 6.03 too. I think 5.61 was the peak until 5.91 or so. Then I think 5.91 was the peak until 6.03. And I think 6.03 is going to be the best (in my humble opinion) unless the nick sort list thing is changed, among a lot of other complaints.

But in the end, if mIRC were never created in the first place, IRC wouldn't be what it is today I bet. I.E. less newbies for one.

#54328 14/10/03 03:02 AM
C
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
C
You're right, I mean I'll give credit where credit is due, mIRC changed the way IRC works. I'm not trying to downplay that, all I'm trying to say is, in my opinion, mIRC is no longer the ultimate client that it once was. Computers are the kinda things that change daily, you have to keep up with the changes or be left in the dust.

But, I won't say I'm always right. Before version 6.0, I was one of the people most strongly against multi-server support, anytime someone suggested it I shot it down as much as I could. Now, I use multi-server support on a daily basis, usually on 3-4 servers all the time. So I'm not trying to say I'm always right, which is what a lot of people seem to think, I'm trying to get the point across that this isn't just "codemastr doesn't like 6.1X" it's "a lot of people don't like 6.1X."

Again, mIRC is Khaled's baby, the final call is his. But keep this in mind, 3-4 years ago when Linux really started to become something that most computer geeks were familiar with, MS basically said "Linux? Who cares about them, Windows is the #1 OS and it will always be the #1 OS, we aren't worried one bit!" Now, MS is pretty much shaking in their boots. They've launched numerous attacks to try and stop people from using Linux, they've implemented the "shared source" program to become more open-source oriented, they've added the "trusted computing initiative" to try and show that closed source programs can have exploits fixed just as fast as open source, etc. My point? Don't think because mIRC is #1 today that 2-3 years from now it will still be. There are MANY excellent IRC clients out there, each of them dying to be the next mIRC, and in my opinion, if mIRC keeps on the development track it is currently on, that day is near. You think ircii ever thought it would be virtually dead? Think that pirch thought it would go from #2 down to almost no users? I doubt it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard