Print Thread
#5389 07/01/03 05:02 PM
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
W
Khaled & Co-Developers,

I am a webmaster for an official fansite for a band on Sony/Epic Records.

I am currently offering a live chat on that website via javascripted means to an irc server that I maintain.

The bottom line.... It could be sooo much better.

Something that you could do to make even more revenue from your wonderful application 'mIRC', would be to create a 'lite' version of it with a very limited amount of functionality.

What I'm thinking of visually for the lite version would be the ability for the enduser to download the program, and upon installation the program asks the enduser some questions...

"What is your primary chat server address?(Required)".....

"What is your Primary Nickname? (Required)"...

"What is your Secondary Nickname? (Required)"....

What is the primary channel you wish to join? (Required).

The above would essentially be all of the neccessary fields needed to perform the task a channel like mine would need. The idea is to create an application that functions, and looks just like mIRC, but only has the minimum options to connect the enduser to "One" channel at a time, while running the application. No DCC or Private chat Ability built in.

This would allow your program to gather a new base of users, pulling in those users who are not comfortable with using standard mIRC due to the all of the options they are unsure about. This idea would sell like crazy, especially in the targeted area I'm in. Think of all of the official websites, and official fansites for musical artists online that could offer this application for their 'not so internet saavy' visitors.

I'm willing to assist in the development, or concept design if you're willing to look at the project idea.

I'm a programmer for a st.louis based IT firm, and beta/debug for companies like Macromedia (coldfusionMX, Flash MX), and Sony Online Entertainment (Everquest Online Adventures).

Please respond with some feedback. I'm interested in getting involved with something of this nature, and honestly... it would seem to me that most of the programs' design would just be a matter of removing alot of the features from the existing source.

Regards,

L.S. - Your friendly neighborhood Webdevil
Webmaster
Revisrocks.com
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
I really doubt that there would be any interest in working on a project like this or that there is actually much demand for it.

For people who are intimidated by mIRC, there are Java applets on webpages. This is simple enough and there is already a slick way for the browsers to download all necessary Java classes, etc. This is one of the things Java does very well.

Also, mIRC already has a nice interface with web browsers. Check it out. The user would first have to download/install mIRC (setting it up how they choose, and usually this just involves filling out the text boxes on a single dialog), and then just click on the link in Internet Explorer to get to your IRC server/channel.

I'm sure Khaled has had enough of maintaining two seperate versions of mIRC (the 16 bit version was dropped with the release of v6.0). A project like this would probably double the work that he has to do for quite a while.

This just sounds like a lot of work for something that doesn't strike me as being necessary. If you really want your audience to experience IRC _your_ way and you want them to use mIRC, write up a script that imposes the limits that you desire.

My 2 cents..

-chris

PS - this is the type of message that, in the future, should probably just be sent directly to Khaled. He is _the_ developer. He alone decides the future of mIRC.

W
OP Offline
W
Greetings d00dman,

Ultimately, I can agree with some points you make regaurding the overall development versus demand involvements, but overall I disagree that there is no demand for such an software. I have alot of users who would find great use from such an application, and I believe many others would follow suit, if the development initiative was taken.

The overall request I get from most non-internet saavy users who wish to use a live chat is that it be simple, and essentially dummyproof. When a broswer tries to display a java based irc client, and the browser doesn't have the capability to implement it, it requires the java plugins, etc.

I am fully aware that such browser compliancy should be solely dependant on the enduser, and the enduser alone, but that just isn't how the world is. We do have inexperienced people, and people with experience who are foreign to the applications, and its' settings.

Most non-internet saavy individuals will just take the passive road in this scenario, and not join the webchat at all, if they are required to have to download something foreign to them, much less possibly have to configure it.

Henceforth, the request in the _features request_ area of the message boards, as opposed to mailing a man that I'm sure has aolt of mail in his mailbox already. =)

I've worked at an ISP for years, and when building, or maintaining areas of our company sites, the overall objective is user friendliness, and ease of operation.

We also take great measures to ensure that our offerings are available to all parties, compliant across multiple standards.

Successful developers will look at the task at hand, and look at the directions it can go, and what steps should be taken to further progress the project, and doing so with the most user friendly features possible.

Setting up an application as mIRC to perform as a scaled down version with lesser options, and very few options to alter at all would be a product that the public would in fact make use of.

Look at ICQ for example.
They have grown so much in the last 5 or 6 years to what they are now, and they have so many options in their curent application, that they did in fact get a demand for a lite version.

They built a lite version, and it is commonly used today.

In the end, the lite version would be for a 'target' group of individuals, not just me, or my patrons, but moreso an option to those who wish for nothing more than to setup, add minimal variables, nick, server, channel.. and be there, doing the bare essentials they want to do without all of the bells and whistles.

I would wager if it was built.... it would be seriously used.

But hey, that's just my two cents, in reply. =-)

Ultimately, I ask myself with my two cents, and your two cents, have we accrued 4 cents of wasted time in retrospect? hehhehe.

Regards,

Webmaster
Revisrocks.com
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Is it really so hard to fill 4 boxes in connect dialog? Heh.
I don't think that Khaled would ever help someone's laziness.

If you want simple IRC client (without options) use Microsoft(R) Telnet :P

W
OP Offline
W
No worries to me, heh. No laziness here.

I'll just present the idea to someone that 'wants' to make a buck on the simplified features. 8-)

There are 'far' more than 5 boxes to fill in information for, as well options to turn off or on in the standard version, as it has always been. I personally have no complaints with the program, moreso looking a ways of diversification for total lemming users.

Believe me.. there are plenty fairly lazy people out there, and those lazy people will pay to have a hassle-free approach to do the simple method of chat, as opposed to worrying about missing some unchecked option, possibly rendering their system open for abuse.

As if a lazy person behind a compuer isn't abuse enough. hehhehe.

As fas as the below statement..

If you want simple IRC client (without options) use Microsoft(R) Telnet :P

It is obvious that you've never worked in the industry where you 'have' to address the issues with seniors, or older people, because if you did, and you popped off with some lame s**t like that to them... you'd not last long in the industry.

The answer to a problem is providing a logical solution, not a smart a** remark. As if someone old would know how to use a telnet, heh.

Kiddies and their affixation for shells. heh.

To think I understood this forum to be a place for "features & suggestions".... as it turns out.. it is just a breeding ground for sarcasm, and presumption. heh

Regards,

Webmaster
Revisrocks.com
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Why can't they use default configuration, then? It works fine.
mIRC Lite would probably be the same as default configured mIRC non-Lite wink

And for my Telnet comment, it was a joke..

W
OP Offline
W
I train many types of individuals.

I train people for use in macromedia applications, programming, and various design applications.

I also train older people who are new to the internet how to use irc to communicate with their families from abroad.

My feedback here is purely based off of the many, many requests of older people who 'have' in fact tried using the program, and though they do like the program... have asked me too many times 'why' there is no lite version.

So what I have done is collected their suggestions, and summarized the overall features 'they' would like to see in the program for their own setup abilities.

It will be no different for us in our older years...
One can only imagine the level of communication we will have in 30 years, and to us, then... will be complex, and confusing, as what seems easy to us in the standard mIRC, is mind boggling now to a senior individual.

I'm only in my lower 30's, lol.. I'm not old by any means, but I do try to find solutions for problems brought to my attention, if I am able.

I have trained, and trained, and trained older people to use various applications, and the one I get the most email questions about is mIRC. I have tried to get them to use a web based applet version, and though they do work.. soon as the enduser sees they have to install something into their browser, and/or configure something in the browser.. I end up getting as much mail based around that issue as well.

So, ultimately.. I apologize if I come off harsh, but my reasearch does reflect a legitimate reason for my post for such a lesser complex version of the program we all find to be kick a**.

I love it, I use it alot, and I script for it, but I also would like to see a version of it that appeases to the older and wiser, but less computer wiser of our world.

I see alot of people viewing this post today...

What do you think people?? Do you think a super simple version or a lite version or mIRC would be used?

Post legitimate feedback.

If everyone truly feels it is a lost cause with mIRC, I will endeavor elsewhere for a solution.

Personally.. I think I like the complete version, but would endorse a lite version to less saavy users, until they got comfortable with the chat surroundings.

Regards,

Webmaster
Revisrocks.com
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
While I'm not against the idea of a 'Foolproof' IRC Clientâ„¢, I don't think it would make sense for it be in the form of mIRC-lite or similar. It would make much more sense to be a completely separate program. The main draw of mIRC is it's customisability - both through detailed options and the scripting language, two things a foolproof IRC client really doesn't want.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Perhaps you could offer your users a small mIRC based script? I release a script that I specifically intend for one network in particular and the idea is very popular, once started the user just presses "Connect" and their nick (GuestXXXXX), user ID and Fullname are already set up.

A
Axe Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
I don't really see how a "lite" client just for chatting in a single channel with no DCC and no PM features is any better (or easier for the old folks) than chatting over a web-based Java Applet like eIRC (http://eirc.sourceforge.net) - an OpenSource project that you can freely recompile to your exact needs with customisable interface graphics & colours.

Axe
--
The box said "Requires Windows 98 or Higher". So, I installed Linux.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I've always thought that mirc was easy enough...Course that may be just me though...

S
S
Quote:
I'm willing to assist in the development, or concept design if you're willing to look at the project idea.

I'm a programmer for a st.louis based IT firm, and beta/debug for companies like Macromedia (coldfusionMX, Flash MX), and Sony Online Entertainment (Everquest Online Adventures).

It sounds like you have the credentials to make your own 'lite' IRC client without Khaled's help. Knowing how much research you like to get involved in, it shouldn't be that hard for you to develop exactly what "you" want.

W
OP Offline
W
Sure,

I could.. if I had the time. hehehe

I'm sure you know how it is though... like Khaled is I'm sure.

Busy, Busy, Busy...

I would have no problems 'collaberating' and assisting on such a development, but I don't know of anyone who is working in a field as such, that has the time to devote 100% to a single project as this.

I wish I did, because I would. I don't though, so I cannot.

Looks like I'll try starting up a project on sourceforge, and see if anyone wants to collaborate.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Webmaster
Revisrocks.com
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
I have to agree with webdevil to a certain extent. While I don't think creating an entirely new mIRC program (such as mIRC Lite) would work, maybe creating a setup wizard from inside mIRC could help attract potential users that always wish that mIRC explained only the basics first. (I thought most programs had startup wizards anyway?)

I used to run a mIRC help channel on christianlinks. A lot of new users used java clients, and to me, it was amazing how most that stopped by at some time or another wanted to upgrade to mIRC.

Almost every single time they asked about mIRC it would always be "how do I connect to a server?" This is probably common knowledge, but not everyone is a genius when it comes to something like mIRC and it not as simple as it seems - at least to new users.

Back to the setup wizard thing - I think it would be nice for mIRC to give the new user a friendly alternative to using it. Almost every person I've talked to in regards to mIRC will label it as "frusterating" and will sometimes say that they "..might as well use java or an IM". It kind of disappoints me because they are really missing out on an excellent chat client..

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
If they can't read THE HELP FILE, it's their problem.

W
OP Offline
W
The overall purpose of such an installer version, or lite version Monosex, is so that people don't need a large Help File, if JooOo know what I mean, jelly bean.

After all, let's face it... some of the humans on this planet don't have that extraterrestrial intelligence you posses. ;-)

The overall intent of this thread was a 'feature suggestion' of implementing a lighter version, or creating a system in which the installing party was merely asked a few startup questions, prior to installation for self configuration processes.

I'm looking abroad for committed individuals who may want to take on the task of building a completely new irc type client, written in Delphi.

Since I'm seeing very little positive feedback here, I will just find willing and qualified people to build a new version, and call it LCIRC (Less Complicated Internet Relay Chat)
hahahha.

Regards,

Webmaster
Revisrocks.com

Link Copied to Clipboard