Print Thread
#53913 12/10/03 11:09 AM
M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Hi everyone,

I think a great idea would be a spell checker so you type and it gives corrections like in MS Word.

Keep up the good word.

Cheers,
Jon

#53914 12/10/03 11:35 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
That's gonna be fun. Who is going to compile those dictionaries? I mean, you can't just add english (which english -- US or UK, there's a spelling difference). The amount of time that would go into creating a dictionary in every language there is would be disproportional to its use.
Also, what about people who make spelling mistakes because they haven't a clue how to spell the word. a spellchecker would only make it worse cause the misspelled word often is understandable, but if mIRC starts replacing every misspelled word with the closest match....
Then of course - is it a auto-replace or do you have to confirm every word?
What about nicknames?

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#53915 12/10/03 11:58 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Some good points you have there. I am not saying it should be a mandatory thing where it AUTO corrects by default, yes you can let it auto correct if you want or it will highlight words that are not spelt correctly and give you the chance to right click and correct it as you type. One thing I hate about IRC is, there are SO many kids out there who "type lik thiz cos theyz think its k00l" get my drift ? Not that this will really stop them from typing like that.

#53916 12/10/03 01:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well...precisely...it won't stop them typing like that.

I think it's a nice idea, but not practical in the IRC format. Many people don't touch type, and it causes a whole lot more hassle when they have to keep looking up at the screen to see if they spelt something wrong, and then to replace it. Even if you do touch type, you're not going to want to have to keep correcting things. Unlike Microsoft Word, you have to keep up with the rest of channel screen scroll, especially in a channels that have 60 people or more.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#53917 12/10/03 03:31 PM
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
This can be scripted via COM obnjects and MSWord. Sure you have to have windows sctriping host installed, and ms word, but why reinvent the wheel.
I'm sure that out there somewhere coders are getting to play with COM objects more and more, and I frequently see mention of exactly this thing.

I say leave this to a script rather than mess around with mirc itself.

#53918 12/10/03 05:10 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Actually it won't. They'll just disable the auto-correct and not correct the highlights.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#53919 12/10/03 08:33 PM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
not to mention the several thousand abbreviations ppl use ..... is a spell checker going to take account for all of this? hell typos are just a fact of nature. i mean then u have the thing where ppl purposly misspell nicknames because the correct one is used? spell checking in mirc just doesnt belong ... it takes the point of IRC right away.

D3m0nnet.com
#53920 12/10/03 10:30 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
I think a word replacer would be better, where you create your own list or dictionary of words to be replaced. This could be used not only to correct common typing errors but used to replace abbreviations or 'aliases' (not /aliases) with complete words, or sentances, or whatever. It would be much faster than a script. Some IRC clients already have this feature.

#53921 13/10/03 04:51 AM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
Every single person I know absolutely hates acronym replacers. if someone wants to type out "Laughing Out Loud" then they can, but lol is different. I think a built in replacer would make n00bs even more annoying. Maybe just dictionary tooltips and an optional spell checker, but all of these things can be scripted with remotes.

-TheXenocide
ParseMPopup

Link Copied to Clipboard