Print Thread
#53840 12/10/03 03:15 AM
N
Noodles Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
N
Is it possible to have ipv6 support included into a future version of mirc?

#53841 12/10/03 03:18 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Try searching, this issue has been discussed in detail many times already.

#53842 12/10/03 09:28 AM
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
maybe i can get you an addon for that, IF you explain me where you are going to use it....
smile

#53843 14/10/03 03:17 AM
T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
It seems like people get pride off telling people to "go search the forums" on the forums. If people did not post that they wanted a feature, the one post that was made would fade away...

I think that the idea of IPv6 has not been fully discussed on this forum. Rather the regulars here have simply dismissed the new feature as useless and unneeded, saying it would take too much time to implement or would simply be too hard as so many said about a multi-sever mirc.

Why implement IPv6? Because it is the new standard. Do you think that if everyone looked at PCI and went "Yea... PCI is better, but we already use ISA and it should be good enough. Someone else will make a motherboard with its support, so forget it" you would be crusing along with a 133KiB/s bandwidth isntead of the cripling support ISA offered? Of course not.
A very large majority of people use Windows XP and through Windows XP you can install IPv6 capability with a simple "ipv6 install" command at the command prompt. No restart, no wait.

I will quote right from an article about IPv6: "From a software developer's perspective, basic IPv6 support is relatively easy. Most applications interface to a TCP/IP protocol stack via a socket interface. IPv6 will have a different socket library, and a dual-stack implementation will contain both the IPv4 and IPv6 socket libraries. "

There is clearly support for IPv6, but a lack of functionality in people's main client. Why try to stifle the progression of it by trying to shun the technology. I hope that every person that wants IPv6 support here makes a new topic to show the support for the protocol.

#53844 14/10/03 04:07 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
think that the idea of IPv6 has not been fully discussed on this forum. Rather the regulars here have simply dismissed the new feature as useless and unneeded, saying it would take too much time to implement or would simply be too hard as so many said about a multi-sever mirc.

I don't say any of that. I say Windows XP/2003 comes with a non-standard incomplete IPv6 library. Only WindowsXP/2003 and Windows 2k support IPv6. Win2k only has "experimental" support for IPv6. All I say is, wait till MS (if they ever do it) releases an update to winsocks for the older versions of windows.

#53845 14/10/03 07:14 AM
T
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
T
Its very true that at the moment Windows IPv6 tunnels through IPv4. But if developers made their applications with the IPv6 standards in mind, it would make the transition over to the new protocol alot easier. A software implementation wouldn't change from the before and after things get supported native.

My comment about the way regulars treat feature suggestions was at everyone, not you. I lurk these boards and see it all the time.

#53846 14/10/03 07:18 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I'll grant you that people do say that, however, some of the issue is that between the old board (now dead) and the current board, a lot of the suggestions have been made and debated to death. I'm NOT arguing the validity of any suggestion ATM, jsut saying why people are soo quick to say "use search" etc. Some things could EASILY be bumped rather than posting all new threads and IPv6 is one of them. Im NOT vetoing the idea, more saying that threads have been created and the idea has been talked about. I GUESSING that it MIGHT be better if people replied to those threads simply with "I agree" or "I disagree" on the other threads rather than starting new ones all the time. I COULD be wrong (and if I am, kewl), but I dont think Im too far off

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#53847 14/10/03 08:55 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
by using the search feature, ppl are able to see what discussions have already taken place, which is always useful. In a sense, it comes under that same heading as check the help file. Posting your thoughts on the same thread helps continuity as well in many cases.

Many ppl dont look around and arent aware we have a search feature. To be honest, i have to say many times i've seen ppl post a question that was answered in the post right above them.

As for feature suggestions, the whole point of this forum is for users to post their ideas and others can join in with their opinions, whether they agree or not. Sometimes looking at things from a different viewpoint helps

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard