Print Thread
#53190 10/10/03 12:01 AM
A
aic Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Please allow logfile snippet to be displayed upon new window creation (either msg or chan). This would display the last X lines in your log file. X number can be adjusted in Options dialog, with 0 filling your buffer with log history. What say you ?

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Bad idea is what I'd say. If you disconnect/reconnect, channel windows can stay open so no conversation is lost (check options).

The only time when this might be nice is when you accidentally quit the program and immediately restart it. This of course would require you to actually click the X and (in my case) confirm the exit. Why would you immediately want to restart it?

That leaves restarting mIRC after a few hours or so. Then there would be no reason to display the last few lines in the logfile - they're several hours old and thus have no value.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Actually, I find that this is useful. For private messages especially. I wrote a script awhile back, but don't remember where it is. It went something like:

on *:OPEN:?:*:{ /loadbuf %hist.lines -c [ $+ [ %hist.color ] ] $nick " $+ $logdir $+ $network $+ \ $+ $nick $+ . $+ $asctime(yyyymmdd) $+ .log" }
on *:JOIN:#:if ($nick == $me) { /loadbuf %hist.lines -c [ $+ [ %hist.color ] ] $chan " $+ $logdir $+ $network $+ \ $+ $chan $+ . $+ $asctime(yyyymmdd) $+ .log" }

/set %hist.lines 500 ;set number of lines to load in history
/set %hist.color 15 ;set the color of the history

This became a problem with channel windows that had log files of 100+MB (well, I imagine 50+MB is a problem, too) were loaded. Also, this particular script only works if you date your log files and separate your logs by network.

Furthermore it is recommended that you disable the Keep Windows Open option, otherwise it will fill your channel with the history over and over.

Edit: This doesn't work when you double click a name in the nicklist. I suppose you need to edit the /query command for that (i.e. alias /query /query $1- | loadbuf %hist.lines -c [ $+ [ %hist.color ] ] $1 " $+ $logdir $+ $network $+ \ $+ $1 $+ . $+ $asctime(yyyymmdd) $+ .log" )

Last edited by killer; 10/10/03 06:03 PM.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Quote:
Furthermore it is recommended that you disable the Keep Windows Open option, otherwise it will fill your channel with the history over and over.

Where is that recommended? Just enable it and you won't need to add yet another feature to mIRC. The 'keep channel windows open' sounds like exactly the feature you are asking for.....
lso - I still don't see the point. logfiles are not for storing stuff you then load into your mIRC, read them offline.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Where is that recommended? Just enable it and you won't need to add yet another feature to mIRC. The 'keep channel windows open' sounds like exactly the feature you are asking for.....

It's not. At some point the earlier text will be cleared, unless his window buffer is incredibly big, which is not recommended, for sure.

Quote:
lso - I still don't see the point. logfiles are not for storing stuff you then load into your mIRC, read them offline.

Of course they are. If they weren't, the "Strip codes" logging option wouldn't even exist. How would you read your log files, all filled with bizarre ctrl codes? The answer is "loaded into mIRC". Online or offline, mIRC would be used. And it's almost impossible to load considerably big log files into it. Dividing log files by date and whatsoever is a pain when all you want to do is to search for something in particular. Hence the suggested feature.

But I wouldn't like it to act everytime I open an window. I'd like to have it as a command. A built-in one, of course.. I have my script already doing the job, but it's still slow, depending on how much I load.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
A
aic Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Yahoo Messenger has this function. It is useful to me because I correspond with some of my employees over the internet, and having log data quickly available to me is the only reason I use Yahoo's client at all. Who wants to dig for logs ??? Also it could be useful if you accidentally close a msg window, before reading what is said. Currently if that occurs I usually have to dig through the logs...

Also, what if conversations occur days apart ? Having log data readily available would refresh your memory as to what has already been discussed.

Last edited by aic; 10/10/03 11:24 PM.
K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
I recommended it. Where else would a script I wrote get usage recommendations? It blows my mind that you would even ask such a question.

Also, just because you don't see the use in the feature, doesn't mean there is no use. I guess you've never used Trillain or Yahoo. This feature is becoming more and more commonplace. I think aic simply felt it was time mIRC incorporated it, too.

Also, in response to aic's second post, you bring up a good point about log files spanning multiple days. The snippet above does not have this feature. (Not with dated log files, anyway.) That sounds like a good time-killing venture.

I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
You should try $window($nick/#channel).logfile which will allow for any variation of the filename. Also check that the logfile exists before tryong to /loadbuf it, and check $line(#,0) to see if it's a newly opened channel window or not..
on me:*^:join:#:{
if !$line(#,0) && $window(#).logfile { dostuff }
}
wink

K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
Err, yeah. That works, too. I'm a bit rusty wink

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Perhaps an event displaying a hotlink to the applicable log file is better than scrolling the window with text that you may not require, and a switch to turn the feature on and off of course.

Link Copied to Clipboard