Print Thread
#5288 06/01/03 11:43 PM
V
v0id Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
It'd be helpful if there was a way to set the look-up method (Normal/Server) through the /localinfo command.

Also, IIRC, there were instances where pIRCh would detect my actual I.P. address when mIRC would not. It would be nice if this was improved upon also. I have encountered many people on high-speed connections who run into a problem with mIRC returning the incorrect I.P. address.

#5289 08/01/03 09:39 AM
A
Axe Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
You already can determine whether you get normal/server mode info from /localinfo

/localinfo -h (local host lookup)
/localinfo -u (server lookup)

Axe
--
The box said "Requires Windows 98 or Higher". So, I installed Linux.
#5290 08/01/03 09:38 PM
V
v0id Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Axe wrote:

Quote:

You already can determine whether you get normal/server mode info from /localinfo"

Yes, but you cannot chose which you would like to continue to use through the /localinfo command. If your setting is "Server" look-up, and you do "/localinfo -h", the setting continues to be "Server" look-up.

Quote:

/localinfo -h (local host lookup)
/localinfo -u (server lookup)

[snip]

#5291 09/01/03 07:40 PM
A
Axe Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
The settings continues to be, yes, but if your "Local Info" is set to server lookup, and you do /localinfo -h, it WILL do a localhost lookup.

It just doesn't change the mIRC setting. On this you are correct, but then, that's WHY mIRC has the -u/h options for the /localinfo command.

Axe
--
#5292 10/01/03 06:10 AM
V
v0id Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Quote:

The settings continues to be, yes, but if your "Local Info" is set to server lookup, and you do /localinfo -h, it WILL do a localhost lookup.

Yes, I already know all of this.

Quote:

It just doesn't change the mIRC setting. On this you are correct, but then, that's WHY mIRC has the -u/h options for the /localinfo command.

Well, maybe there is a reason WHY I would like to have the ability to change the setting this way! Do you have some reason as to why one should not be able to change the mode of look-up through the command?

To summarize, I would like to be able to set the mode of look-up using the /localinfo comand. I don't see why this would be an issue. If /localinfo -h served my purposes, I would not be requesting a way to set the mode in this manner.

#5293 10/01/03 06:29 AM
A
Axe Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
Did I ever once say you should NOT be able to modify this setting from an alias or that such a feature would not be welcomed?

No, I did not, and I did not write mIRC, Khaled did, so don't go off on me if it doesn't do something you want it to.

Personally, I don't care whether it does or not. I've never gotten into a position where I can't call "/localinfo -h" or "/localinfo -u" if my script requires it.

I'm not psychic, I was unaware of your apparent greatness, and was merely attempting to offer a suggestion.

In the future, I shall refrain.

Axe
--
#5294 10/01/03 08:38 AM
V
v0id Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
V
Quote:

Did I ever once say you should NOT be able to modify this setting from an alias or that such a feature would not be welcomed?

No, but as has been said many times before, actions speak louder than words. Your posts do seem to be more geared toward opposition rather than support of the idea.

Quote:

No, I did not, and I did not write mIRC, Khaled did, so don't go off on me if it doesn't do something you want it to.

I didn't "go off" on anyone, and mIRC not having this option is not that important to me either. Actually, I have wanted to be able to do this for quite a long time, and I have only now decided to make a request regarding this. If it was that important to me, I believe I would have made the request years ago.

Quote:

Personally, I don't care whether it does or not. I've never gotten into a position where I can't call "/localinfo -h" or "/localinfo -u" if my script requires it.

I believe my original post was very clear about what I wanted to do, and I believe it was very clear that I already know what is currently possible using this command. Furthermore, I do have a script where that info needs to be called numerous times, and I doubt that people appreciate having their status window flooded with localinfo replies. Of course, I could explain how to change the mode by going through options, but it is my experience that most people wouldn't bother to read about doing it, much less actually going through with the actual activity. And, yes, in this case, the majority of people would prefer that I just change the mode through the script instead of wondering why they have to go through all of this trouble of trying to set it how it should be.

Quote:

I'm not psychic, I was unaware of your apparent greatness, and was merely attempting to offer a suggestion.

This has nothing to do with the perception of one's own greatness. It appears that I failed to convey myself in my first two posts, so I made the third post much more direct. Do you wish me to continue to pussyfoot around for another 3 posts to get my point across? I don't. There is just no pleasing some people! You offerered your suggestion, and I believe I made it clear that the changing of the mode through the command is what was desired. I am not sure of what other action(s) I should have taken, according to you.

Quote:

In the future, I shall refrain

If that is what you wish to do, then do so. It isn't much of a concern to me either way. [I suppose that this honesty reply will also be seen as some sort of intense rudeness.]

Link Copied to Clipboard