Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52851 07/10/03 12:10 PM
E
EnZo Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Damn, i thinks its lame that we have to pay for mIRC.... Why?

#52852 07/10/03 12:16 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Would you walk into a car dealership and say "i think its lame we have to pay for cars....Why?"? The reason you have to pay for mIRC is the same as the reason you have to pay for cars, houses and food (i.e. because the makers want to make a profit/living).

#52853 07/10/03 12:59 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
This is old. Dozens of people have asked the same question, and they got the same answer:

1. use a forum's search feature before asking
2. no, it is not new, mIRC has always been shareware, you have always had to pay for it
3. Khaled needs income so he can continue developing and improving mIRC instead of wasting time on a 9-to-5 job
4. it's not lame, it's perfectly normal to pay for stuff. Nothing is ever free

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#52854 07/10/03 03:50 PM
E
EnZo Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
I can see that, but it is just like a little shok..

#52855 07/10/03 03:51 PM
E
EnZo Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
I can see that, but it is just like a little shok

#52856 07/10/03 04:10 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How is it a shock? If you wrote mirc, wouldn't you want compensation for all the hard word and effort you put into it? I mean its not like windows is giving away operating systems so its not a "shock" to the users. Khaled has even bee generous enough to allow you specify an amount (within reason) to pay for mirc. The default is 20, but you realised not everyong has a lot of money and allows you to put forth 10, or even foutry if you're feeling generous. Also, its not like your paying for a new version every release. You pay once, ands thats all.. You have a lifetime membership to mIRC.

-KingTomato
#52857 07/10/03 04:23 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:

If you wrote mirc, wouldn't you want compensation for all the hard word and effort you put into it?

I wouldent need anything for it.. i dont say it's right that not give somthing to Khaled, but i have been working on my script for 5 years now, and i dont want anything for it, im just glad i can help the users that using it smile so not everyone need to make money on there work.. only a fev smile but nothing is free in this world.. and Khaled deserve the litle thing he get from mirc smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#52858 07/10/03 07:37 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Are you "shocked" when you see that MS charges for Windows? Are you shocked to see Adobe charges for Photoshop, etc.? If not, why is it so shocking that Khaled charges for mIRC?

#52859 07/10/03 07:54 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
a lot of people seem to think that if software doesnt come on a disk put in a pretty package its outrageous to pay for it.
he might be one those people crazy.

new username: tidy_trax
#52860 08/10/03 02:47 AM
G
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
heh....paying for mirc...how amuseing but sad..you may ask why or maybe even say he deserves the money. But why should he thrive while other people have to suffer with regular life? Common, i'm not telling you not to donate to him but it should be optional. Well looks like the corprate leaders have left their mark on the net. Usage of the net = $ when it should be free.

#52861 08/10/03 02:54 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Excuse me? You know I can understand what your most likely talking about, which is probably the GNU licencing, but mIRC is not open source. If anything Khaled has worked harder on mirc than most software programmers on programs. Why do i think so? Many programmers have teams that tackle objects collectivly. One person works on this, another on that, and they all come together for one program. In this case, Khaled is the lead man. he runs the show, and doesnt "sub-let" the tasks out.

If anything, he should n't be so flexible with his cost, and keep it at say 30. But being the nice guy he is, he can understand that people dont have a lot of money all the time. He also undertsnad people may not be able to come up with 20 in 30 days (for whatever reason) and lets mirc extend longer. Again, if you were the developer, are you saying you'd give out several years of work and effor for free?

C'mon now..

-KingTomato
#52862 08/10/03 02:58 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Usage of the net = $ when it should be free.

Spoken like a true "I've never been in the corporate world" person. Got news for you, the internet is NOT free. Your ISP *PAYS* to allow you to connect to the internet. Why you ask? Is electricity free? All the servers at your ISP run off of electricity, right? And that costs money, right? So, how exactly should the ISPs pay for "keeping the lights on" when they aren't charging? That's just one (trivial) example. The biggest cost is bandwidth. Yes, it costs money to send data across the internet. Why? Well think of it this way. The internet is one big sewer. Each building (computer) is connected via pipes (wires). Now, a pipe can only hold so much water (information), there comes a point where no more water will fit into the pipe. This means that the total water flow through out the sewer is limited. So how do you regulate the water flow? You charge people to have exclusive rights to some of those pipes. Consider, you and your neighbors share one sewer pipe... you'll be calling a plumber weekly to have your toilets unclogged. On the other hand, if every house has it's own pipe, then it's ok because a smaller amount of water is flowing through, and the pipes can handle that.
That's pretty much the internet right there. Except instead of pipes (and they are often called pipes) you have wires, instead of buildings/toilets you have PCs, and instead of water you have information. But the example is the same. If you want to ensure your information is always going to make it to where you want it to go, you have to setup the wires to ensure that... And of course, the internet is global. So, do you think they run a wire from the US to China? Nope, they use a satellite. Any idea how much it costs to put a satellite in orbit? It's in the millions I'm sure. Then lets not forget the people. Computers don't run themselves you know. Someone has to install software, upgrade hardware, diagnose problems, answer telephones, activate new accounts, etc. You think the ISPs employees are gonna work for free? I doubt it.

So the problem is, you are saying the internet should be free. Well if the internet were free, that would mean EVERYTHING would have to be free. Electricity would need to be free, and for electricity to be free oil, coal, nuclear energy all needs to be free, the equipment to harness that energy must be free, and the people who operate that equipment must do it for free. Then all the wires must be free, which means the copper and fiberoptics must be free, which means again the machines to make them must be free and the workers must work for free. That list goes on and on. The fact remains, you never get something for nothing.

#52863 08/10/03 04:42 AM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
It's his program, he can do what he wants with it. If you don't want to pay the money then make your own irc client. There's this terrible idea nowadays of open source being cool and everything that's involves money being lame. Well sorry but we're not all so sad that we like to invent the wheel for ourselves over and over with everything.

#52864 08/10/03 04:42 AM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Post deleted by MircMania

#52865 08/10/03 04:49 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
just a tip, you have two hours after you create a post to edit it to save you having to make a new one with any changes or additions, just click on edit smile

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#52866 08/10/03 05:21 AM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Oh well I thought the post might be gotten rid of completely when you deleted it.

#52867 08/10/03 07:56 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Quote:
you may ask why or maybe even say he deserves the money.

maybe because he made it?

new username: tidy_trax
#52868 08/10/03 02:49 PM
E
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
E
I write software for a living. I cheerfully paid for mIRC. First the price of $20 to register is very reasonable. You don't pay extra for updates either. Second, mIRC works. It doesn't crash my system, and it doesn't hog a lot of memory and CPU time. That's my definition of a very well written program.

Anyone ready to complain about paying for mIRC should think about some of the expensive software they've bought, that was full of bugs and didn't work. How many times have you spent $20 for a video game, concert, football game, or a new shirt? Isn't a great IRC chat program worth at least that much to you?

#52869 08/10/03 02:52 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I would.. "read my note higher up! smile but is tghis a subject we should mix ouer self in? Khaled do what he want and think is right.. smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#52870 08/10/03 03:04 PM
E
EnZo Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Hey guys, it was not ment like that. I just couldn't understand it. But i thougt about it, and Khaled desufs the money, he made it and i think its a great chat program...

Shall we stop here wink..

EnZo

(Sorry for my bad spelling...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard