mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I'd like to suggest an auto-resend option for dcc-send. This could be included in the mIRC options for DCC. I'm suggesting this because some ISPs (especially in Malta) block the ports every now and then so we have to press resend about 5 times for every 1mb transfered.

Thanks.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well my guess is the reason they block those ports is because they are saying "We don't want you to use DCC right now." I.e., you've reached some kind of bandwidth limit. IMHO mIRC should not include features to try and circumvent such ISP policies.

S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
No it's not for that reason, it's because of the anti-P2P software policy that they block ports, with the side effect being that DCC sends are also effected.
We're paying a bloody $52.85US per month for the connection without even being able to have a decent connection for a DCC. A monopoly is the reason, not bandwidth limit. They rip us off, knowing there is no alternative for their service.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Still, your asking for mIRC to add stuff to get around your ISPs policies. I don't think such a thing should be added.

S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I understand.
It's my fault after all, I should forget about internet until this monopoly on bandwidth providers comes to an end. We're paying good money for a service that is not even worth it if it was given for free. We get disconnected for hours twice or more often daily. The ISP's been saying it's trying to solve these problems for more than 2 months now, that's more than $100 down the drain.

Thanks anyway.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
May I ask if you have adelphia? >:D

Adelphia, the company that filed chap 11 about 8 months ago, but is still taking in new customers on a network they cant even handle current customers on. Got to love monopoly companies in a town. Its either use them (and like it) or use dialup-- *sigh* 50 bucks a month, And I have to "unplug the modem, unplug router, plug in modem, wait for lights, plug in router..." almost three times a week. >:\

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Something tells me Adelphia doesn't have customers in Malta :P

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
omfg... Did you actually use an emoticon? Holy cow.. Will wonders never stop... >:D

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Heh, oh and btw about:

Quote:
And I have to "unplug the modem, unplug router, plug in modem, wait for lights, plug in router..." almost three times a week.

I have a local cable company (PenTeleData) running my internet, and they give me the same kinda story.
Me: My internet connection is down, are you guys having problems?
Tech: No, have you tried unplugging your modem and plugging it back in?
Me: Yes
Tech: That didn't fix it?
Me: No
Tech: Hmm, do you have a router hooked up? If you do, that's probably what is causing the problem.
Me: My router is working fine
Tech: Hmm, well everything looks fine on our end, it must be a problem with your computer.
Me: Well then why was it working fine for the last 8 hours? And why does the problem still occur even when every piece of equipment except my modem, which you sold me, is disconnected?
Tech: I'm not sure, let me ask someone else if they have any ideas.

Then, 20 mins later when the cable comes back on, I go to the company's website and I see "cable customers in the northeastern Pennsylvania area experienced service outage due to system upgrades." So why exactly couldn't the tech support guy just tell me that?

Basically, don't assume these problems are confined to Adelphia, it seems like all tech support guys go to the same training session on how to avoid customers' questions smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Lol, thats exactly my scene..but a few modifications..

Me: Do you know if there is a downtime for <my_area_here> currently?
Operator: I dont see any problems, what is your modems mac address?
Me: <Give mac address>
Operator: I have a ping responce, but the signal strength is very low. Try unplugging your modem and your router if you have one. Then wait 60 seconds, plug the modem in, then the router.
Me: I alreadyd did that
Operator: And you still have a bad connection?
(At this point im ready to be sarcastic and tell em I mistook their phone number for one of the dating ones and was just looking for someone to chat with, but i keep cool.)
Me: Yes, im still having a problem.
Operator: Try directly connecting your mdoem to your computer without the router
(I do so, and somehow get a better connection--)
Me: It's working now.
Operator: There must be a problem with your router, our network doesnt support it.
(Conversation ends, Im sick of talking to them so i get the off the line. For GP's I plug my router back on and find it works again with te router. Personally I think they found the problem, fixed it, and try to pass it off on hardware, but am left without an asnwer)

--Later that night--

Me: I called earlier this evening about having no internet connecition. I got it back up and running, but now have no internet again.
Operator: Have you tried resetting your modem and router if you have one
Me: Yes, i've already done that--no difference.
Operator: Have you tried removing your rotuer?
Me: I already know there is not an issue with my router. Its worked before, and Unless you completly redid your network in a matter of two hours, my router shoul stil work now.
Operator: Do you know of your neighbors have internet.
Me: I have a friend in the next neighborhood whom doesnt have internet, and has also reset his modem.
(You have to add these things or they just ask and you just PO'd real quick.
Operator: Well, we seem to be experiencing some down time in your area, <some lame excuse thats supposed to be technical to the average joe, but really is a line of bull to me. It's like they flipped to page N in their handy "technical responses to customer service callers" handbook.>
Me: Do you know how long it's going to be down?
Operator: No I don't sir
Me: ok Thanks(?) for the help.

*Sigh* I call back in an hour and they now have a message preceding their messaging service saying "if you are in the bleh area, you may be experiencing connectivity issues". Its amazing how stupid they take customers for, and how they want to "pass the buck" and not take responsibility for their actions..
Operator:

-KingTomato
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Me: I have a friend in the next neighborhood whom doesnt have internet, and has also reset his modem.
(You have to add these things or they just ask and you just PO'd real quick

Lol, yeah that usually helps, I also try and stick some stuff in that makes it look like they don't know what they are talking about. Things like "the last tech support guy I was talking to said don't listen to anyone who is telling you it's your router, they don't know what they are talking about... Does this mean you don't know what you're talking about?"

I mean, if they want to waste my time, might as well make it entertaining wink

S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Ours is always entertaining. First of all you have to wait for about a quarter of an hour to get answered, by that time you'd be listening to a jingle on the line that makes you wanna puke. Then they answer with a "good morning how can I help you?" I hear the "You have problem with your computer" quite a lot. Once one customer care guy even admited having restrictions on the service, but didn't want to tell me what the restrictions are.
We have many ISPs in Malta, but they're all in the same trouble. The problem is the bandwidth provider. We are all connected to the company which owns the telephone lines and the seabone for international bandwidth. It's this company that is having problems. It's this company that has a monopoly and this is not a monopoly on one city, it's a monopoly on a whole damn country.
As I told you, we pay $52.85 per month for a supposed to be 512/128kb/s always-on ADSL connection, and lately we've been getting more offline time than online.

Link Copied to Clipboard