mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
so basically your asking to be able to modify a prefix which can currently be done by a script quite simply really, but when someone asks for say identifiers added that will allow manipulation of nicklists... being able to change the @ !and + to icons and such..... ppl frown. So maybe you could take some consideration on my seeing its rather pointless to add something that can be done already using scripts rather than not adding something that u have to have a dll to do. personally i think thats rather redundant to add to something that can be done and not add something that cant currently be done, but hey maybe im wrong. then again its all up to khaled to decide what he does with his program.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Ok, I'm not going to discuss about what I already explained very well in my last post..

Quote:
so basically your asking to be able to modify a prefix which can currently be done by a script quite simply really

Please show us a simple script that modifies the prefix for actions and keeps multiple spaces. Meaning it should not add ugly ctrl codes or ugly chr 160 or anything else everywhere, it should keep the message as is. Suppose you want it to be exactly like without a script, but with a different prefix.
Unless you can do that, you can't say changing a prefix can be done. You could say changing a prefix and messing with the message display can be done, maybe. And maybe this seems a solution to you. Well, it isn't to me, for my own reasons. Everyone has different IRC experiences, usage, environments etc. That's why while you think the suggestion is redundant, I think it's a much better solution.

If things weren't added because they could already be made, we wouldn't have $eval() and such.

(Sorry about the double post if you're receiving this through email)

* cold edits his posts 24/7
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
on ^*:action:*:#: {
echo $color(action) $chan $timestamp *** Action:8 $nick  $+ $1-
halt
}
}

this is what i currently use to display my action text differently than the standard format

this doesnt change my action text i send so i also make an on input event if $1 is a /me example:

on *:INPUT:*: {
if ($1 == /me) {
echo $color(action) $chan $timestamp *** Action:8 $nick  $+ $2-
.ctcp $active ACTION $2-
halt
}
}

i dont think those 2 events are all that hard to script? im not sure what u mean by ugly control codes as i only change the color of the nick making the post ... at any account im sure if those 2 events arnt exactly what your looking for then its atleast gotta do something pretty similar

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It seems you didn't read my posts..

"While the issue seems 'easily overcome' to some people, to me and other people it's not.
I don't want to use a script that will display actions eating multiple spaces. I don't feel I'm supposed to need to script any ugly workaround for this behaviour either."

"Please show us a simple script that modifies the prefix for actions and keeps multiple spaces. Meaning it should not add ugly ctrl codes or ugly chr 160 or anything else everywhere, it should keep the message as is. Suppose you want it to be exactly like without a script, but with a different prefix."

If this is not clear to you..
Code:
mIRC displaying an action:
  [color:purple][00:10:20] * cold your      script  fails    .. .  .   .    .[/color]
Your script displaying the same action:
  [color:purple][00:10:20] *** Action: [color:#999900]cold[/color] your script fails .. . . . .[/color]
What I want your script to display:
  [color:purple][00:10:20] *** Action: [color:#999900]cold[/color] your      script  fails    .. .  .   .    .[/color]
*No* ugly workarounds like using ctrl codes, chr 160 and the like. A *real* solution.
..That's what I meant.

I hope you understand it now.. as I'm getting a little tired of this subject..

Last edited by cold; 21/09/03 06:26 AM.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok well maybe your unclear about the subject of this entire post...... firstly it was to ask about changing the PREFIX as mirc itself has a problem with multiple spaces ..... your not wanting a prefix thing changed ... your wanting the literal spaces issue fixed ....... thats an ENTIRELY different issue, so lets just stay ON THIS ISSUE without adding others to it. im sorry if your mind thinks of seeing one issue and then suddenly changes it into several others, i cant help the way u think.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
your not wanting a prefix thing changed ... your wanting the literal spaces issue fixed ....... thats an ENTIRELY different issue, so lets just stay ON THIS ISSUE without adding others to it. im sorry if your mind thinks of seeing one issue and then suddenly changes it into several others, i cant help the way u think.

..Yeah, I think you really didn't read my posts.
Lets break them into 2 easy pieces.

1st piece:
I say: I want the ability to modify the prefix, having the same display as before.
You say: Script it, it's so easy.

What I said above has always been totally clear. By suggesting to script it, you brought the multiple spaces issue already, as explained below.

2nd piece:
I say: Firstly, "script it" isn't a solution for everyone and mIRC has always considered the ones who don't script. Secondly, the result wouldn't be what I want. I want to change only the prefix. Nothing else. And, if I script it, it won't change only the prefix.. it will also change the text display, eating multiple spaces.
You say: That's another issue, you don't want to change the prefix, you want the spaces issue fixed. I can't help the way you think.

Well, I'd say I can't help the way you think, because it's pretty clear that the multiple spaces issue isn't off-topic since it is related to your supposed solution. Meaning that although you change the prefix with that, you end up with a new problem. A "solution" that brings another problem isn't a real solution, sorry if you can't understand that.

Also, "script it" isn't a real solution not only because of the multiple spaces issue. I mentioned the issue with people who don't script too. Just read my posts.

That said, since I'm not into the "multiple spaces issue" subject (geez, I'm not even suggesting here to fix it).. even if we had total control of multiple spaces, a customizable event prefix would still be valid.
Regardless of any scriptable solution, it's still valid.

Well, since I'm repeating and clarifying and repeating and clarifying and repeating what I said before, I'll just quit this thread from here. Hope you don't mind.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok first off you claim typing /me your ....... script fails

the dots are to display empty spaces, displays an empty space in a regualr mirc. your incorrect in that statement, mirc doesnt have the ability to display those empty spaces, so what your asking for isnt even reasonable. Therefor i do not understand what you mean by eating the multiple spaces it doesnt eat them the way i scripted it. i just tested it in my mirc with all remotes off, maybe you should do the same and then come back here and tell me im not hearing you. If your not wanting to debate it with me then atleast get your facts straight.

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Whoa, that's right. I apologize for that. blush
I actually use an ugly workaround for multiple spaces everywhere. It replaces mIRC's display by the same display with ctrl codes taking care of them. But when I tested actions and etc for this thread, I thought this workaround wasn't enabled for them, just for normal messages. Then I thought that was mIRC's non-scripted display. My bad.

So, I admit I was wrong and now I agree that, for scripters, scripting it is a solution.

However, as I said, the most people I know don't script and can't understand anything of it. I see mIRC was dedicated to these too, otherwise it wouldn't have facilities like ctrl codes stripping options ("oh script it, it's so easy").

mIRC has a lot of things which "do another's job" in some way, and this is nothing but good; we all know that.
Then, as I said again, regardless of any scriptable solution, event prefix customizing is still a valid suggestion.

Oh well, I've repeated again.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I completely agree with you Inquisitor.

I link thee to my earlier post on this matter, I Give mIRC 3 Stars. Why don't you?.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
agreed im not discounting your point that a prefix changing option would be nice ... along with being about to change < nick > brackets ..... things like this would be nicer but are scriptable

D3m0nnet.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard