Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
First of all, sorry if this is perceived as a dupe thread, but I it deserved its own heading.

The UTF-8 petition that I started mostly for fun has gotten 88 signatures, compared to the 18 or so signatures it had when I last checked.

For those who didn't know about it, it was mostly there to see if there was any interst for UTF-8 in mIRC at all, and after it wasn't perceived so well on this forum I practically abandoned it. But it appears to be still open and getting signatures.

http://petitiononline.com/utf8/ if anyone wants to see it. I guess the next milestone is 1000 signatures =P

Edit: Oh, and sorry, Windows 95/98 people.

Last edited by Rounin; 14/09/03 12:49 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just an FYI, this forum doesnt appreciate polls and petitions. Doing so just makes you look impatient and pushy. "See, 88 people would like it added, so add it!". mostly the reason why the poll function on this forum was removed--so people cant pull that "I have N peopel saying yes! Add IT!"

-KingTomato
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If you'd used the Search feature you'd see that Khaled has already stated that UTF-8 support is on his 'to-do' list, meaning that any petitions about it are even more meaningless than usual.

In fact looking back, Khaled's reply was to you, so I really don't see the need to keep something like this going.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
The UTF-8 petition that I started mostly for fun has gotten 88 signatures
[spam removed] if anyone wants to see it. I guess the next milestone is 1000 signatures =P

Since when is 88 a "milestone"? Maybe it's just me, but if 88 people want UTF-8 out of the 1+ million using mIRC, then really all your petition does is tell Khaled that he shouldn't waste his time. If 88 people signed that petition, then 1,999,912 didn't.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
touché

-KingTomato
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
1,000,000 - 88 = 999,912 :tongue: sorry i had to post it grin

Mess with the best, Die like the rest.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Umm... err, well I said 1+ million so clearly I meant 2 million smile

R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Yeah I know... If you search the forums you should be able to see the original thread which states exactly that. I'm just posting it because I think it's a positive thing.

R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Then again that means most of the world doesn't use mIRC. I think you're being unfair, counting it like that. wink

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well my point was not to say UTF-8 shouldn't be added, I think it should. My point was saying that 88 people signing a petition is not a "milestone." And even if you do have 88, for all we know, you signed it 85 times and just entered a different name each time.

What I'm just trying to say is, 88 supporters is insignifigant. As of December 2001 1 million people were on the mIRC announcement list. Even going modestly, that means there would be roughly 2-3 million on it now. Then you can assume that maybe only 75% of the mIRC users are actually on the announcement list, so then we're at maybe 4 million users. You have 88 that say they want UTF-8. That is .0022% of the mIRC users that you say want it. Again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be added, all I am saying is that that petition is meaningless.

A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
It dosen't mean people don't want it. Many people, such as myself, just don't want to waste time signing a petition that's not going to do anything.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Did you even read my post? I specifically said, I'm NOT saying it shouldn't be added, and I even said I want it added, all I said is the petition is meaningless.

R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
And yet, 88 people signed it. So if it were meaninFUL, it would probably have 4 million signatures already, which means more people want UTF-8 in mIRC than the number of people who use it.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Was that statement supposed to make sense?

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
amazingly enough there have been several hundred ppl who know about your petition..... yet all u could muster was 88 ppl ... i dont see why u feel it is of any importance to show us youve wasted 88 ppls time in a useless petition, but hey maybe im just wrong in thinking khaled only add what he wants to mirc (example of this would be 6.1)

D3m0nnet.com
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
wtf is UTF-8?

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)
R
Rounin Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
R
Good question.

It's an encoding that allows you to use loads of foreign languages on IRC in addition to English.

A number of other encodings exist, but they only allow for a few languages at any one time, so UTF-8 is a huge improvement over that.

Also, UTF-8 allows you to use those annoying Dingbats symbols and those Old Skool line drawing chars from DOS.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S

H
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
H
Well, meaningless that petition was or not, it doesn't matter. But it seems that many people really NEED Unicode support: people who are communicating in more than one non-English language. Although speak 4 languages which have overlapping character sets (meaning I would have to switch Windows settings and reboot in order to communicate in another language), I'm not exactly one of those people because I don't IRC much (hint: MSN has unicode ;-)). But I happen to know a bunch of people who need to IRC in both Estonian and Russian (those languages have different overlapping character sets). X-chat is a decent client for them but it doesn't flash taskbar. And people running Windows who need both features at the same time, they are simply out of options.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well X-Chat has a windows version so they are not "simply out of options" and if you read my posts (which you apparently didn't) I already said I agree UTF-8 should be added and it is needed. All I said was there was no need to waste everyone's time by making this post about the "milestone" reached by his petition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard