#47934 09/09/03 09:23 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Oh so we shouldn't tell people to, for example,
/help $rand
?

No, that's exactly what you should do.

Though, Search Mongers on this forum are simply telling users the equivilent of "Read the help file!!!1" or "RTFM!!!1". They don't even bother to instruct the user to "/help $rand" or even link to "/help" at all.

That's the BARE MINIMUM that is expected. At least LINK to useful search results, or relevant posts that you've found helpful in your travels. "RTFM" is a cop out.

And if you're feeling especially nice, you could tell the user to type:
//echo -a $rand(1,10) is a random number from 1 to 10.

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#47935 09/09/03 09:24 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Quote:
give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime

Very good point .. but all I'm saying is, pointing them in the direction of the search is all fine and dandy, but why be rude about it? Especially toward those who are obviously new to the forum and may not know about the search. We were all newbs once and I'm sure, on more than one occasion, we all annoyed someone with our share of what seemed like stupid questions to the annoyee. (is that a word?)

#47936 09/09/03 09:33 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's not babying people to assist them. It's quite ignorant to treat new users with contempt though and I bet you anything that a mammoth proportion of theRat's posts here are "Use the search engine".

The user that started this thread has been here ONCE. theRat's response, like many of his other similar ones is ignorant and contemptable and a complete insult to the intelligence of those better equipped to answer the users question in the proper way.

To reply directly to your post, when I sit in the help channel on my network and I am presented with a question, and the answer is also in the services help files, I will answer the question and then after making sure the user understands that, I will then show them HOW TO USE ChanServ, HelpServ, NickServ help files.

Inline with theRat's long-standing approach to the use of this board, I could just tell every user "Bugger off and read the help files" but that would completely defeat the purpose of having a help room to begin with.

For the record, I quite proudly have never (if my memory serves me correctly) answered a single question here with "Use the search", and I never will.

#47937 09/09/03 09:42 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
theres no point in repeating threads that already exist, when you can simply say "use the search feature" and avoid it being repeated, if they dont like using the search feature, its laziness on their side, if it makes it any more "polite" i could add the url, "use the search feature", but its better than not helping at all, its also better than giving them an answer, which they are then going to have problems with/question and repeat a thread all over again :tongue:

new username: tidy_trax
#47938 09/09/03 09:48 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
With that attitude, anyone searching for "blah blah" would have to sift through 50 posts instructing other users to use search too... and if they're lucky, they might find a single outdated post from 2 years ago that vaguly touches on their problem.

Be a contributor, not a lazy bum.

#47939 09/09/03 09:49 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If no subjects were revisited from time to time then this board would simply cease to exist. Read every thread from go to whoa and you'll see what I mean about revisiting subjects previously discussed. There is nothing wrong with letting people know about the search engine, just the way some people choose to do it. It contributes nothing positive at all to reply the way theRat has been since he has been a member here and you seem to have just started copying his bad habit in the last day or two, no doubt to simply attract attention to yourself.

#47940 09/09/03 09:52 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
its actually because, they have to click right next to search to get on this board, if they cant be bothered to search for an answer before asking then i cant be bothered to help them.

#47941 09/09/03 09:54 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
(Quote)
Maybe you guys think saying "use the search feature" is a bad response, but I think it is a perfect response. Ever heard the saying "give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." What about next time when he has a question and people say "screw it, this guy never bothers to search, I'm not going to bother to help him."

Well, Maybe JUST like everything in life. Humainley, we useually do things in a decent manner.
Not rudely. It is so easy on a message borad to reply in flame fodder.

I would have seen fit to give this person the reply they looked for, then politley explained that they can find most answers in the FAQ's or saerch engine as a final note only and not rudely gave him a bloody lecture..

If after a while the same person was stupidly asking the same questions or a new set of questions over and over again, i would remind him again politely. if it continued, then i would guss he was eigther very low in IQ, in this case, responding would make ME just as low as him. in the other case, i would asume he may be a flamer trying to anoy people. In that case, i would allso feel it non aplicable to reply allso..

I am 13, and yet i can useually find most flamers are well abuve my age..

C'mon, lets not be so silly about this.. answering one post on a given subject does not mean the subject will not pop up again some day. So complaining about reading the same things over and over is not viable as an excuse..

I would have thought reading the same old flmes and participating in them would be far more boreing than answering the same questions over and over for a new poster...

Chill............ wink

#47942 09/09/03 09:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To get to this board you click a link on the mIRC Home Page in the lefthand column "Message Board". If that is next to "Search" then you are using a different website to me.

#47943 09/09/03 09:57 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
then: login which is about 3 WHOLE words away shocked

#47944 09/09/03 10:00 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Take a look at this thread and see how sarcastic people are being.

This is not an isolated incident, but rather people sitting and waiting and salivating at the chance of posting a bitter reply.

- Raccoon

#47945 09/09/03 10:02 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well you have just proved that your approach is once again insignificant because once again you just shift the goal posts as you go along. Pheonix, I remember back to when you were new here and aside from questions and your evergreen desire to connect to MSN with mIRC, your excessive single word posts meant very little. I don't recall people thrusting "use search" at you so I think you should be a leader instead of a blind follower and treat others with the same amount of respect that has been given to you.

#47946 09/09/03 10:06 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i searched before posting, if there was anything in the boards already i didnt see them, if a user searched and didnt find what they wanted then i dont helping, but when they can obviously see the search feature when logging in and they dont use it first, they're being lazy..

#47947 09/09/03 10:20 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Being lazy is how you put it.

This thread, among many others here, proves you dead wrong. A user asks a question, gets ignorance from you and a sensible discussion with two or three others.

I rest my case.

#47948 09/09/03 10:28 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i dont see why that was ignorant..

#47949 09/09/03 11:07 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
It's not babying people to assist them. It's quite ignorant to treat new users with contempt though and I bet you anything that a mammoth proportion of theRat's posts here are "Use the search engine".

Ok perhaps saying something like "stop wasting our time, and search instead" is not the best way, however saying "in the future Search before asking a question" seems very helpful to me.

Quote:
The user that started this thread has been here ONCE.

Thats true, however the "search before asking" is not an mIRC forum rule, it is a general internet rule. I've subscribed to numerous mailing lists since I've been using the internet, every single one of them had a policy of "search the archives before posting a question." The same holds for newsgroups, either search the news group or search groups.google.com, and also for forums, search for an answer before asking your question. This isn't a policy that is unique to mIRC, it is standard internet etiquette.

#47950 10/09/03 12:41 AM
E
E
"I can't imagine true IPv6 support being added harmoniously with IPv4"

Hmmmm, Xchat for windows supports both ipv4 and ipv6.

#47951 10/09/03 08:21 PM
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
There's really no problem with it.
Just use the existing ipv4 support for connecting to ipv4 addresses, and ipv6 support for connecting to ipv6 adresses. They really can't be mistaken or each other.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard