mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#47272 05/09/03 01:47 AM
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
does anyone else find that about dialog reminder in 6.1 VERY [censored] ANNOYING? im sorry but khaled that was one of the worst thing you have done.

i think every time you open mirc, there souldnt be that dialog. thats plainly rediculous and no scripts execute untill you close that dialog (another horrible mistake).

am i alone or other people with me on this? confused

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
#47273 05/09/03 01:50 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
You're alone. Try registering your copy of mIRC.

- Jason
#47274 05/09/03 01:51 AM
G
gpn Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
G
Well, there isn't any dialog when I open mIRC. Maybe you could be just a teensy bit more specific with respect to what you're talking about.

Does this dialog have a name? Or perhaps a check box to turn it off?

#47275 05/09/03 01:52 AM
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
the about dialog... the one that opens when you run mirc.exe...

#47276 05/09/03 01:53 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
He's refering to the about dialog with the trial reminder which opens on start up in mIRC 6.1

- Jason
#47277 05/09/03 01:54 AM
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
register... yeah im going to when i get the money, but this dialog is going to drive me away from 6.1 (which i dont want)

khaled simply should have kept the old reminder (the 30 day webpage)

#47278 05/09/03 04:25 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
You are using a piece of software that you have to pay for and you didn't and you're still complaining? Sheesh, get over it. People like you (who didn't pay) should be thankful that khaled didn't make it crippleware. Seen plenty of programs that simply stop working after 30 days. Now THAT is annoying. Especially when they're not worth the money they cost. mIRC is worth every cent I paid for it, in the past 5 yrs it's been the program I used the most.

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#47279 05/09/03 06:12 AM
C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
Hey locust isn't Sunnydale a huge crater?
<deleted by owner -- Raccoon, you may also want to do the same>

Last edited by CyBot; 05/09/03 07:01 AM.

The blue monkey is out of its barrel...
#47280 05/09/03 06:37 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
so illegal stuff like cracks and serials or whatever would not be a breach of contract only a moral thing.

Strictly speaking, cracks and serials are not illegal for personal use, provided you've paid your dues to Mr K... $20 dollah.

It all boils down to compensation and credit for the author's work.
Any Actions that result in you or others avoiding these dues, are the center for legal and moral discussion.

This isn't to suggest we will ever advocate or even tolerate such things on these forums. As far as these forums are concerned, the above statements are just my own opinions and beliefs. I would avoid talking about it any further here.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#47281 05/09/03 09:59 AM
H
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
H
MTec89:

I do agree this is annoying and have expressed my opionions about this previously. Even though it was said this software is shareware and not "crippleware" i understand authors have to make a living, but if they want a decent income go get a real job not just from some windows software?

With that box showing its aperance every time its made me not want to update to mirc6.1 and continue to use 6.03 and gives me the impression that either we pay to get rid of it or its going to be there as a annoyance reminder untill we give in/force to pay it just to see it gone thus making us pay for it.

On the other hand I clearly understand it takes mere 2 sec to point and click to get rid of it, something thet lazy people would argue about, and yea that includes me because i hate popups in any software though i wont argue about about this as its pointless

IMHO i will be waiting for a patch/crack to come out for this before I would ever pay for it as the cosmetic "improvements" <-- JOKE! are not what I think would be an improvement, just more of a put off from mirc.

Now honestly you can rant and rave at my comments as much as you like, i saw this thread, posted an open clean personal opionion of my views on this and dont plan to get involved in a flamed topic.

#47282 05/09/03 10:57 AM
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
well however you people see it, khaled gets cash and he doesnt need to make any more..hes gotten enough but that my opinion... if mirc was cripple ware, i would just have to crack it like every other program i use that is cripple ware.

#47283 05/09/03 12:00 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
My God, you're so damn arrogant it's unbelievable.

Quote:
khaled gets cash and he doesnt need to make any more..

What? Do you have his financial records - past, present, and future? Why doesn't he need anymore? Is the world becoming a utopia where everything is free? - I must've missed that in the newspaper. You sound like you think he's Bill Gates or something - sitting on his solid diamond mansion, eating caviar and drinking panda milk.

Hoggeh:

Quote:
I do agree this is annoying and have expressed my opionions about this previously. Even though it was said this software is shareware and not "crippleware" i understand authors have to make a living, but if they want a decent income go get a real job not just from some windows software?

That's funny, I thought programming was a job. Apparently so does the rest of the world. Clearly you ae the one who is correct though, because everyone knows that programming is easy and everyone over the age of 3 is capable of writing mIRC, Windows, or any other peice of software in existence regardless of skill, thought, or dedication. I also love how you specifically stated 'Windows software', as if that somehow makes it not worth being paid for.

Quote:
With that box showing its aperance every time its made me not want to update to mirc6.1 and continue to use 6.03 and gives me the impression that either we pay to get rid of it or its going to be there as a annoyance reminder untill we give in/force to pay it just to see it gone thus making us pay for it.

You don't seem to realise that's exactly the point of the box - to make you either pay for the software or not use it. I don't think anyone will lose sleep over someone who didn't pay for it deciding to stop using mIRC.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#47284 05/09/03 12:34 PM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Well said, starbucks smile

#47285 05/09/03 12:45 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
well however you people see it, khaled gets cash and he doesnt need to make any more..hes gotten enough but that my opinion...

S'pose you are right, I mean Khaled doesn't have to eat anymore or pay bills or put petrol in the car or entertain himself, hell why would he need money?

#47286 05/09/03 04:24 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Spot on, as usual. smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
#47287 05/09/03 06:02 PM
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
I love you guys :P

#47288 05/09/03 07:32 PM
MTec89 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
well w/e

that dialog is done popping up now anyway.

just close the thread

#47289 05/09/03 08:10 PM
H
H
Quote:

That's funny, I thought programming was a job. Apparently so does the rest of the world.

Indeed programming is a job and certinally something i dont disagree with, but making an earning from something IRC related is not something i consider a proper earning, just easy cash making at the likes of fools who pay for this, but as mentioned everyone expects everything from free, so why dont ircd coders start charging for thei software? biast point i know but proves my point irc is a lame way of an earning.

Quote:

Clearly you ae the one who is correct though, because everyone knows that programming is easy and everyone over the age of 3 is capable of writing mIRC, Windows, or any other peice of software in existence regardless of skill, thought, or dedication.

Point me as to where I said i was right, and if programming is easy why dont you stop wasting time here replying to a thread and go create something, I am sure then if you created it as shareware you would be flamed for it if your users didnt think it was worth the cost of registration. I have no experience in any C lanaguage etc, nor do i ever want too, I am happy just using IRC to chat to friends, but i refuse to pay to pay to chat, and certinally refuse to install up something that worse that strong coffee, not that we are forced to install it, but links to older versions as an alternative arnt available.

Quote:

I also love how you specifically stated 'Windows software', as if that somehow makes it not worth being paid for.

Anything windows related developers try to make from, majority of the software availble is shareware and not freeware, this may prove me to be just paranoid and just stfu and pay the cost, but it can also show what i said where developers follow bill gates suit in charging, mirc devel. included. And no i dont think anything made for windows should be paid for or for irc at least, i said windows because i thought mirc is generally developed for windows, unless of course i have missed something you have so willingly forgot to mention in your post previously.

Quote:

You don't seem to realise that's exactly the point of the box - to make you either pay for the software or not use it. I don't think anyone will lose sleep over someone who didn't pay for it deciding to stop using mIRC.

Oh i know what its for, didnt i or did i not mention it previously, i think i did, not in them words but i did, but why make the box show at startup now without the option of stopping it showing every time? Well you said it khaled wants people now to pay for it otherwise face the annoyance of seeing his mug shot appear in a small box every timeyou load mirc up.

I look forward to the day someone gets passed that box from showing at startup.... yes this thread should be closed as I have made my "OWN" opinions, id hate for some elite khaled fan to insult me.

Happy irc'ing geeks!

#47290 05/09/03 08:26 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Formal request for thread closure (but non-deletion).

I don't see it turning around and becoming an educated discussion again anytime soon.
- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#47291 05/09/03 08:30 PM
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
mIRC is shareware, and by using it you agree to the terms of its license. That means you can only use it for 30 days without paying. Window popping up or not, it doesn't make a difference.

Don't like the license? Find a different IRC client that has a license that you agree with. It doesn't matter what you think of Khaled or what he does for a living.

Quote:
id hate for some elite khaled fan to insult me.

You might be ugly and I bet that you stink.

-chris (elite Khaled fanboy #1!)

Link Copied to Clipboard