mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
This is probably intentional rather than a bug, but it is irritating.

Many trojans use the default mirc.exe filename so that they are able to use existing firewall rules generated for valid mirc installs.

It appears the the filename must start with "mirc" or it refuses to run? confused

J
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
J
Try using search feature before posting... mad

Go ahead, jump. 100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
First of all; firewall rules should not be based (or even take into account) the application that wants to do or access something. That doesnt make much sense... A firewall just allows connections to and from certain ports on certain machines. Thats it.

Apart from that, if trojans used the default mirc.exe filename so that they are able to use existing firewall rules (which I do not believe at all) what does the limitation of the mIRC exe to run only when its filename starts with 'mirc' matter? This limitation would only matter if we made mIRC to -not- work when its exe included the letters 'mirc'. Or something... Your remark about trojans doesn't make sense to me. confused

Your conclusion is correct and intended; the filename must start with "mirc" or it refuses to run. For obvious reasons I think?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Why is it "for obvious reasons"? Why is it "malicious" or "illegitimate" to want to have control over what files are called on your own system? I mean, it's not like I'm trying to steal credit if I decide I want this one named myircbot.exe, no one except me sees that, and I only call it that for my convenience. Maybe it's obvious to everyone else, but it certainly isn't obvious to me.

Babel fish
Babel fish
Actually, Sygate Personal Firewall has feature-bases that are completely dependant on verifying an application's ability to use your active internet connection/ports. For example, it will deny/grant access to certain ports by certain application bases (like mIRC can be ONLY allowed to access ports: 6660-6669 and 1080 for DCCs.) It's actually quite a nice feature IMO, but it can be void if you want (turned off).

-Zmodem
L
Babel fish
Babel fish
L
This 'feature' is simply absurd and unacceptable, If I pay for a license for a product, I should at least be able to run it as a different filename. Changing the filename is in no way violating the License Agreement, I can see it being done to stop people from calling it 'CHAOSSCRIPT.EXE' and distributing it, but if the file self checks it's CRC anyway, whats the point of protecting the filename?

Last edited by lordares; 03/09/03 08:00 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard