mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Hey Tjerk, how difficult would this be?

Add a field in UBBThread's user profile that allows us to enter our registration info. Users who do so would have something nifty added to their status or below or beside their name.

Eg, how moderators have a little beside their name, registered users would have a similar tag... perhaps a small colored star or pac-man face (like in the icon).

If that would be too confusing, then add a tag below their Posts: and Loc: tags. I'm not sure what this tag might say, perhaps the registered user could choose what it says. Give it a red color or something so it stands out slightly.

I know this would take a bit of work and some creative coding on your part. You would also have to devise a method of verifying registration information against a conceivably huge list of registered users. I understand this would take some time and effort, but perhaps well worth it.

If channel takeovers and op status and (dare i say it without being accused) post counts are an indication of the average IRCer's ego, then I suspect most of those who post here would have no choice but to register just so they could save face amongst their peers.

- Raccoon

And no, I'm not admitting to having an ego. I take pride in having no self worth.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
Being also able to grab the codes from the database would be awesome if you switch computers and don't feel like waiting/submitting for the code. laugh

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
done you can grab it here: http://www.mirc.com/reglost.html

smile

_________
may death strike you.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Yup, that is a nice idea, but that would mean I have to change things in the internals of this message board, and that is something I try to refrain from. It makes upgrading to a newer version even harder then it is already frown Also, Khaled would have to provide a simple procedure to validate a Name/Registration code combination of course.

Alas, i'll keep this on my 'rainy weather what shall I do' days list... But do not count on this for the near future, ok!?

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
This is a good idea, but some other steps should be taken first... I keep repeating it and I will keep repeating it till I see it happen (or till I get banned from the board :P). Something needs to be made for those who can't register with a cc... :\

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
On second thought, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to impliment as a manual feature... a flag that a moderator has to flip on/off by hand upon request and some form of validation (some external webscript?) The board already supports different groups like moderators and admins with their own special icon, I suspect adding additional groups in the same way would be the easiest route.

That isn't to say it wouldn't be a chore for moderators to endure at first, but looking at the statistics of this board... we have less than 400 active chatters and 23,000 who mostly haven't even posted once.

In the long run, I suspect it would be easier to manually activate 400 members than to script an automation that will ultimately get very little use. Thanks for entertaining the idea though. smile

- Raccoon

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I doubt that the moderators/admins are just different groups that can be set up on a whim, most likely it's hardcoded into the boards. Of course I've never used UBB.threads before so it's just a guess.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Thats the idea... the only thing that should be done is Khaled send the lists to moderators and Tjerk add a group smile And maybe one day when I will be able to pay for mirc i will join the reg group too lol

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
* KoRn18 looks at the 23,331 registered users and laughs his ass off thinking about manually adding all the regee's XD

_________
may death strike you.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
What do you want, somebody to ring your doorbell to collect the money?
If you really want you'll manage to pay your regisstration fee some way or another. There -are- several options from which paying with a check or money order is just one. These things are internationally available.

(Yup, childish repeats of the same subject that has been handled over and over will get you banned in the end. Or will get you ignored, even when you have something more important to say.)

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Sure! we have nothing better todo.....

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I'd rather be skydiving... as your avatar suggests you'd rather be, too.

Or is that a climbing harness?

Last edited by Raccoon; 31/08/03 12:34 PM.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It's a nice idea, but surely it wouldn't serve any really useful purpose. Mods and admins are flagged so we know who they are, and who to go to if we have a problem with a post, etc. By implementing your suggestion, it's implying that because a poster is registered, their posts are somehow more valid - which we all know is not necessarily the case! I honestly don't see the point of this, and to be honest I think it could do more harm than good, i.e. creating yet more flame wars. These forums are for people to help each other out, not to say 'my opinion is worth more than yours' or 'I'm not helping you, you're not a registered mIRC user' - which is exactly what would happen, imho. It would become far too 'elitist'.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
No, it wouldn't create flame wars. It would just create a rift between those who are registered and those who are mooching. This is the intended effect, which will only promote increased sales as people try to blend in for acceptance.

Think of the smiley pac-face as an award for outstanding acheivement in the field of excellence.

Everyone wants one, and they'll pay $20, $10, $30 or $40 to get one.
The only purpose is to increase revenue, and perhaps to return thanks to those who registerd.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. smile
I really, really, really don't think that someone who is determined not to register their copy of mIRC would suddenly be inclined to do so just so they could have a smiley pac-fac icon thingy.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Apparently I'm not the only one who asks for something more easy on the paying... and you know what? I'm sick borred of having to beg to pay... I could just either ignore the paying thingy either use a crack or however you call those stupidities like more of the 50%++ of the users do!! Just for the record count how many downloads there are and how many registered users there are... less than 20-30% of the users do register mIRC... I'm not asking you to come at my door so I can pay I'm just asking you to give us something more easy for everyone... and keep the funny/stupid/ childish answers for yourself... thankyou...

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Someone quoted in an earlier post that it would cost just as much to make a bank draft or whatever acceptable payment it was, as it would cost to register mIRC.

That's perhaps one reason why Khaled has been so nice to allow people to pay only $10 instead of $20. If it costs you $10 to convert your currency over, then choose the $10 option so you come out even at $20.

Hell, just find someone with a Visa/MC and internet access who would register mIRC for you! Surely even you have friends.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Yeah that's a *brilliant* idea - segregation by user 'status'. First of all it's totally acceptable for someone to use the forums while unregistered for the 30 day trial, second of all you make it sound like someone who hasn't registered has no valid opinions or ideas. The only thing that would piss me off is an unregistered user bitching about mIRC like dozens have done in the past few days, but then again it pisses me off equally when registered users do the same. Just because someone hasn't registered the client doesn't make them any less capable of suggesting good ideas or providing help which benefits everyone.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
Think of it as nobels and peasants.

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Knights and knaves more like hahahaha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard