mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Why would you want to cause a rift? And most people that register don't even frequent the boards anyway. Oh, and IRC users are hardly know for their affiliation with trying to blend in!

Speaking as an unregistered user myself, I can assure you I would not, and will not, pay money so that I can get a little icon next to my name. However, I do not think introducing such a feature would cause flame wars immediately - flame wars are caused when users disagree with each other about something, and one of them isn't mature enough to ignore the others comments smile

It would however, give the impression that someone with a "pacman" logo next to their nickname is more important, and has more knowledge and experience of IRC - which as Poppy correctly pointed out, isn't true! Newbie users to the mIRC Forums (or forums in general) may even be led to believe that these registered users are some sort of Moderator on the boards, and it would open an entire new window of questioning about "how do you get that logo next to your name" and "what does it mean" etc etc, when really we should be helping with Bugs/Scripting/mIRC/Connection Issues....

Personally, I think we should continue helping with our usual compulsive diligence and let the 'mIRC Team' donate their time to improving upon mIRC!

Happy chatting.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I disagree with this idea. Why increase the need for acceptance here? Sure, it may encourage some desperate heads around here and there to register mIRC to "stay on top", but then I ask you.. In the forum environment, encouraging such a "top" status would improve the community as a whole?

Of course not.

I remember this board had status based on number of posts indicated in every users' posts and now it's not there anymore, I guess it's not there anymore because of the same kind of issue? (correct me if I'm wrong - and however we still have numbers of posts yet)

While this could offer only a little help to the registration issue, this forum would become a much more elitized (stinky) place having some people moved by the need for such a superficial acceptance, rather than good discussions.

"Why would I discuss about SimpleJoe's criticism, he didn't pay for mIRC". "Why would I keep trying to make my point, JackHasPaidgrin has registered mIRC, he won't accept it easily".
The examples above may seem exaggerated, I know; but we could expect something similar in the future if the paid-only scene opens and stays.

My personal opinions, of course.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
No, I don't think it would seriously cause a rift in the forums, nor do I think people would hold it over one-another's head. But I think the number of people who see it and will ask about it will influence them that much more to register. You see all your friends wearing Nike's, chances are peer pressure will get the better of you and you'll wear the same. I think a smiley pac-face would have a similar effect, not only on a few forum regulars but even have a positive effect on those Anonymous passers by. People will realize just how neat the idea of registering really is, by seeing how many people actually register (contrary to any report you may have read on IRC News).

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"I remember this board had status based on number of posts indicated in every users' posts and now it's not there anymore, I guess it's not there anymore because of the same kind of issue? (correct me if I'm wrong - and however we still have numbers of posts yet)"

The number of posts anyone has made is under their nickname beside their post. I think by "status" you mean where the "title" for each number range appeared. Those "titles" can still be seen in the help area, and are intended as humor really. I think that stopped when the "new" boards software changed from the "old" boards. (lol, shows you how much i pay attention to that) I'm quite sure you didnt mean that some kind of status was/is implied by the number of posts anyone makes/doesnt make smile

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
agreed the number of posts makes no difference of status to anyone. and i personally think adding anything liek this would just cause indifferences between users, basically if implemented it would be an arguement waiting to happen. But thats just my opinion of the subject

D3m0nnet.com
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
ParaBrat:
No, I didn't mean it. When I said "however we still have numbers of posts yet" I meant that I could probably be wrong about the reason those titles were taken off of posts, because the number of posts is there anyway. It's just that in some other communities I've seen people bragging about their number of posts and/or title, other people complaining about that etc, then I considered the possibility that this could have happened here when I was out for a little while. smile

Raccoon:
I see your point. I'm just afraid that, if this idea is implemented, although it surely could be positive in the beginning, it could take a negative path while time passes.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Cold, sad to say, but i think human nature is such that there will always be ppl who think number of posts/titles/how many channels they have ops in/what kind of car they drive/etc is an indicator of their worth. Just one of those things in life we have to understand about how ppl behave i guess.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I know, but that doesn't mean people can't do anything about the bad aspects of their nature. Many human issues can be discouraged at some point that is easily acceptable for most people, not only the ones who can see human nature behind someone's bad attitude. Of course there will always exist one who isn't pleased. But IMHO, a community (especially an internet one) needs at least this little control.

I don't think the idea posted in this thread would ruin/fulminate/blow off this msgboard or its conscience aspects as a whole, I just think it's not worth it, even as a registration appeal, IMO it costs more than pays (in another sense). I doubt that would cause a really significant encouragement for people to register. As has been said, that would be noticeable here on the forum, but there are millions of users out there who wouldn't care.
Oh well, maybe Tjerk likes this idea and who knows if Khaled would like it too, since they're who actually deserve more registrations. But, as a forum user, I disagree.

Last edited by cold; 18/09/03 09:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard